Author Topic: Next Chapter Work Thread  (Read 5671 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Next Chapter Work Thread
« on: May 02, 2021, 12:51:40 PM »
I had a sweet job with the state for about 7 yrs prior to last spring. 3 yrs ago there was a changing of the guard in the admin above my position. A new middle manager was hired that made it up in her head that having a research support machine shop for a large university was a waste of money and building space.

Several attempts to eliminate my position were made, but halted due to large pushback by the research faculty. Then came COVID. The whole place was shutdown in early March. By May, I had a gut feeling I'd never go back to work there. In June my feeling was confirmed by a bullschit phone meeting (as happened to millions of others across the US and world).

I was pissed, but not surprised. I circled my wagons and laid low for awhile. Odd jobs trickled my way, but nothing serious over about 6 mos. I wasn't hurting, so I just screwed off a bunch mostly. By Christmas, I was beyond bored.

I have a good friend in the heavy equipment repair business. Around February he was was asked to do some extensive repair work on at least 4 623 Cat scrapers. I hounded him to help, and he finally caved. I was initially supposed to just come over and do a little welding on them, but the scale of the project has turned into much more. It's almost more than two guys can do working full time.

So after a few weeks, it was starting to look like Sanford and Son in the barn where the magic happens. I really needed a toolbox, preferably with a crane attached. Working out of the bed of an F250 was getting old. Through the power of CL, I located a beater old 91 topkick about 50 miles away. The price was right and a deal was struck on Friday. It needs a bit of work, but should be serviceable for my needs for a while.

Class 6, so non-CDL. 3116 Cat. 6 speed. Air brakes. 8000 lb 20 ft crane. 3/5 of a gazillion miles. Hardly will do 55 downhill with a tail wind. Earl Scheib overhauled so it looks OK from 50 ft away, but rusty up close. Best of all, no payment book!

Anyways, here's a few projects....

Floor link rebuild and stiffening. Couldn't get the banana boat bend out, but it clears underneath so it'll run.

Prepping for new floor scraper wear edges on the ejector

D5 TSK track skidder track frames for complete undercarriage. Miles of cracks and worn trough spots

The pivot housing had previously been welded, but they just went over the crack. Took a bit of gouging to get the trash out and find the bottom.

15lbs of .052 dual shield later

Impressed with the milwaukee 1/2 hi torque. Got that roller tighter than a 4 ft breaker bar could. 1-1/2" fine thread.

1st scraper split for a cushion hitch rebuild, another one in the wings.

Roading one of them out to the shop right through the middle of town.

Broken roller bolts on the D5. Pic represents 4 hrs, but both threaded holes were saved.

Offline slip knot

Re: Next Chapter Work Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 01:09:06 PM »
That service body will come in handy if you keep after the heavy equipment. That crane is a real life saver. I help my neighbor our some and without that crane these two old men just couldn't do it.

BTW, you might want to weigh that truck after you get your tools in it. That CDL may not be far behind.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 01:21:40 PM »
Glad to hear that you are getting along fine after losing the nice gig. It is a shame to see the university research program crippled by a bean counter CEO. I suspect you are in your element though doing the air arcing, grinding, welding and saving pieces that needed your skill to avoid the scrap bin.
I wish you all the best in your new endeavor.

Offline walrus

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 05:58:40 PM »
Nice work truck. Crane will be a back saver for sure. Don't you have to have a license for air brakes? or maybe its some kind of cert.?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 06:01:03 PM »
Great news and glad you found a new path in your career -- good luck!

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 07:52:30 PM »
Glad you found employment. Keep the pictures coming!

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 06:03:07 PM »
You should post up those pix of the old shop you used to inhabit?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 06:07:58 PM »
sweet, best of luck. I am fortunate that the locksmith business continues to be steady...I am constantly busy in the shop and my coworkers are doing tons of service calls and installs!

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 07:13:08 PM »
Good to hear you landed in a good place.   :08:
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 08:08:17 PM »
Good for you. Sounds like interesting work.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 10:51:33 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys! I don't think this is my forever gig, but it's something interesting to do in the meantime.

In Oregon, there's no air brake endorsement for non-CDL licenses. Under 26k rigs are basically treated as cars, except with much more expensive registration. They're less on the DOT radar, despite being commercial vehicles.

Jab, I'll see what I can do about old pics.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 10:25:46 AM »
Congrats on the new gig.  Have many customers who are self employed in a service truck.  I also know 2 who started out that way and were hired by a customer at at $40 per hour and the company rents the service truck from them.  Works out real well for  an older paid off service truck.  They even pay for the fuel and some of the repairs.

Note , I dislike bean counters too.  They have a way of ruining a good company environment by only looking at dollars and cents. 

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 12:14:00 PM »
Not real sure what you did before but the new thing looks pretty fun. Way to have a good enough plan that yo it didn't have to take the first thing that came along. If there is one thing certain, it is that nothing it certain.

Truck looks like a real nice rig.
Be safe out there. Doesn't look too safe if something goes wrong. That stuff looks heavy.
Rich

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 05:26:51 PM »
Glad to hear of the transition, and new shop rig. Best of luck with the new gig. I'm digging the repair pics. Keep 'em coming!

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 12:18:54 AM »
You've got skills that guarantee you'll never be out of a job. 
boop/bop/beep