Author Topic: Next Chapter Work Thread  (Read 5670 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Next Chapter Work Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 11:36:49 PM »
Finally figured out why the parts orders for the D5 undercarriage kept coming wrong. The track frame has been stretched to 8 rollers from 7 somewhere in it life. Joys of finding parts for old junk.  :lol_hitting:

Had a small steel order this week. They're pretty proud of it these days. Not much of a bundle showed up for $500!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2021, 09:35:37 AM »
Prices are skyrocketing on steel, lumber and other durable goods. My neighbor complained about spending $50 for a sheet of 3/8" plywood a couple of days ago and the wife had to pay $75 per sheet for 3/4 ply this week. I also researched some 2" 4-1/2 threaded rod for her yesterday and about fell out of my chair when I saw the prices.

Offline gtermini

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 11:36:19 AM »
It's nuts. 3/4 CDX plywood is over $100 a sheet here. My friend that works for a sawmill and timber company said they're making more a week than they used to a month. No sign of things sowing down either.

Used cars are also through the roof. The owner of a large dealership locally told me to seriously consider selling your car outright if you have a 16-18 nicer used model. Then wait 6-8 mos and buy a 20-21 low mile used for the exact same money when the bottom falls out. He said the flood of new cars is 30-60 days out waiting on computer chips.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 06:31:43 PM »
What do you think the sales market is like for a 2003 Frontier with 190K on the odometer?!   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline gtermini

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 06:54:24 PM »
Probably better than you'd think...

Offline gtermini

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2021, 10:35:23 PM »
Been trying to get the wiring unfuk'd in the topkick. Cut about a 30 gallon trash can of wires to nowhere out. Got some basic functions working as they should again. It's a work in progress.

Still working on the track frames. About have all the cracks fixed and have them back together.

Cutting the bottoms of the rock guards to put new wear strips on. Tried to cut a couple standing up to counter heat warping, but nothing worked perfect. Close enough for what they are though.

Line bored the equalizer pivots with a funky setup borrowed from some rock crusher guys. They were originally bare bores, but found some bushings off the swing tower on a 420 backhoe to cut for and press in.

Had a 305.5 mini excavator show up with a locked track. They'd been using it as a wheelbarrow to haul scoops of gravel 500 yds up and down the slope of the landfill setting vent pipe. Said it started clunking and didn't make it back to the trailer before locking solid. No reman unit for these, and a new on comes with the integrated hyd motor. All for the low price of $6k. Had it next day luckily.

Offline john k

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 08:46:10 AM »
Looks like hard, heavy work, but real satisfying when the trashed overloaded iron is fixed and out the door.   Used to be and out of shops that did work on this scale, made my car and light truck work look so puny.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2021, 09:31:37 AM »
Looks like hard, heavy work, but real satisfying when the trashed overloaded iron is fixed and out the door.   Used to be and out of shops that did work on this scale, made my car and light truck work look so puny.

Deal with a lot of heavy equipment guys, they measure repair job length in days and and weeks not hours :c029:
Plus repair bills can run in 10s of thousands of dollars

Tough work with varied skill sets required and now with emissions they need to be scanner kids too :91:

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2021, 08:31:38 PM »
Least they`re getting a good job My boy G is no slouch.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline gtermini

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2021, 10:50:23 PM »
Been Busy....

Track frames got finished and mounted with a few minor hiccups. Machine owner said it pulls wood like a freight train now. I think it's going to work on one of the fires.

623E getting a bath before a bunch of work. It's a train wreck and will be back in Oct for extensive work including a hitch. Had broken frames in the back. Trashed steering and can cylinders. Worn floor rails. and plenty more issues.

Tightening elevator chain by taking links out.

Genius having glass on a work light...

Got kicked out of the scraper hut so the farmer can store seed until the fall. Hope to be back sooner.

Finished the hitch on the 623B and sent it off during the brutal hot 110+ week we had. Hope it stays under 100 the rest of the summer.

Broke down and bought the milwaukee 1/2 and 3/8 kit. They are insanely powerful. Like snap 1/2 grade 9 cat bolts in a fraction of a second. Being top heavy is the only downside.

Friend sent these pics of a 320 down for a mud soak in Tulelake, CA. I think they got it out.

Offline muddy

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2021, 05:40:38 AM »
Never get why guys keep trying trying after it's obvious it's stuck....

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline walrus

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2021, 05:49:40 PM »
Thats some big equipment with plenty of power to break crap or wear it out. Cool pics

Offline slip knot

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2021, 08:22:48 PM »
Looks like the service truck is working out for you. Those cranes are great. I won’t order a service truck without a crane now

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2021, 08:44:42 PM »
Are you enjoying the challenge G?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline gtermini

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2021, 09:47:53 PM »
I'm not hating it. Working pretty easy hours most of the time and being close to home is nice. It's taken a lot of changing to go from working to the thousandth to ±1 inch on most things.

Service truck is OK. I need to finish a bunch of work on it to make it more useable. And of course, the crane could stand to be double the length and capacity.