Author Topic: Random shop tip - Sandpaper storage  (Read 1387 times)

Offline oldnslo

Random shop tip - Sandpaper storage
« on: May 06, 2021, 05:39:05 PM »
Of course there is a supporting story, it was all about getting the sandpaper out of storage and arranged to use in succeeding finer grit application on a bicycle sanding project requiring both alu-oxide and wet/dry.

The situation:

Curly sandpaper from exposure to moisture, and picking up odd/n/end pieces from garage sales, etc. Yes, they were "mostly" organized but stacking was impossible with them curled.

I've found this to be helpful:

Alu-oxide curly sheets can be successfully straightened with a LIGHT spritz from a squirt type sprayer bottle of water. The sheets will quickly curl again, but have two flat plywood (or other absorbant) pieces with weights handy to press flat. Drying is fast. Sometimes 2 spray applications are needed.

Wet/dry generally stores flat, but flattening follows the above process.

Once straightened, they can be nicely stored and retained in the flat USPS boxes you get for free at the place with ugly square trucks painted white. Nicely notated with grit sizing of course. Once flat, I put them in manila file folders inside the already flattened boxes.

Easy peasy

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Random shop tip - Sandpaper storage
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 07:09:54 PM »
That sounds like a good tip on the flattening. As far as storage I use metal file boxes with top opening lids. They were free also. ;)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 10:44:51 PM »
Filing cabinet. I use hanging files and can write the grit on the file tab. need some 150 just grab that file folder and go.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 11:30:44 PM »
Good idea.
I was thinking of using a binder to store sandpaper,  but I foolishly tend to just buy it as needed.

That's something I really should keep on hand more.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline geneg

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 08:27:58 AM »
Stacking circular saw blades with the sandpaper also helps to minimize curling