Author Topic: Cadillac will introduce a new DOHC 4.2L V8 Twin Turbo engine for 2019 -- WOW!!  (Read 22745 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
What's the hourly rate for a Caddy tech? I'd assume they make higher rates than Chevy or GMC techs?

I think with the Northstar cars, as with many higher end engine Euro cars, it was not very easy to beat engine repair book times -- which made them often unpopular.

lostmind

I don't know about other places , but I got paid the same for Cadillac , Buick and Pontiac.
I've been retired 9 years , so I'm out of touch now.
I see ads for $31 an hour in northeast Ohio area.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
I don't know what the hell Cadillac is thinking. There is definitely a huge management problem at the GM senior levels. This new Twin Turbo 4.2L V8 engine is only two years old and it will apparently die with the end of the CT6 production at the GM Hamtramck facility. How can a two year old engine design be cast aside so quickly? Most the of the new sedan options in the CT4 and CT5 line are powered by an anemic 4cyl turbo power plant. Only the CT5-V model will get a Twin Turbo V6.

Cadillac (and GM) have definitely lost their way. While the Germans, Japanese, and Koreans are bringing standard 6 and eight cylinder options into their luxury lineups, GM is regressing to third class economy car status -- remember the Catera? You'd think they learned a lesson from those terrible days. SUVs and crossovers are not base Cadillac customer products, but the bean counters at GM are betting the entire company on that stupid premise.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:25:43 PM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

Most everyone I know running a Caddy are in the SUV type rides. Either the middy crossover or the bigger suburban chassis Caddy.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Most everyone I know running a Caddy are in the SUV type rides. Either the middy crossover or the bigger suburban chassis Caddy.

True enough, but over the last decade Caddy has lost it's primary sedan customers to other brands because the offerings have been so sparse outside of the SUV and Crossover lineup. GM, like Ford, is betting on Trucks, SUVs and crossovers -- that will come back to bite them in the rear end. The winner in all this is the lowly Chrysler 300 platform which still offers a large luxury sedan - (and maybe the Lincoln lineup) even though the 300 sedan design is going on 15 years now. If FCA is smart, they will do a redesign of the 300 in 2021 and dominate the large luxury American sedan market for the next decade.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
This 4.2L caught my attention. Not that I can remotely afford one. Id want to drive it , not live in it. They aren't going to sell many if they don't have them on the lot. There was one, 1439 mile from me. And it lists for around $98k. Cool car, way over the common man budget. Just like a $50k Chevy SS. If a guy can afford one even if it is a little over the standard one, a guy might try to talk the wife into it. But at twice or more, they just aren't going to sell many.

Rich