Author Topic: oldnslo's running post of "What the heck is this dang tool for"?  (Read 2067 times)

Offline muddy

Up for discussion, is item D, a tool for Ford/Mercury products based on flipping it. You can see the models it covers, and my guess is that it would flipped based on the rim diameter or 4 lug vs 5 lug applications, but what does it do?
Hub cap tool?

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Re: oldnslo's running post of "What the heck is this dang tool for"?
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2023, 06:57:31 AM »
Spindle nut spanner?
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2023, 11:27:17 PM »
I think those round red things are dies for some unknown application.  I think the hole in the center is supposed to slip over the end of the press ram.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2023, 01:23:02 PM »
Up for discussion, is item C, a lot of 3. Different heights, different base diameters. No brand name, other than a typical tool warning around the base (contact area) of "Wear safety glasses". Based on the top bashing, it leads me to presume it's a hammer driven impact tool for driving in something.

Bearing races? Like wheel bearings in wheel hub?

I have sold some of the cone things for rounding out exhaust pipes.  Not sure if that was the application, couldn't find anything on google

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2023, 12:47:54 PM »
Yep, I have two of those exhaust pipe rounder-outer-thinga-ma-jobber-doers. I like any metal forming tool, where I can repurpose it for other applications. In this case, the red one somehow wont let go of its driving handle (almost like it is locked in with a circlip, but wont let go), but really there is no need for that handle version to be pulled out, you can "shrink" an out of round hole by driving the tool from the smaller end. You can see evidence of it being used to shrink something.

The silver (made in China) version, does have a reversible handle so you can expand or shrink depending on the direction of your whacking tool.  :)

Going back to item "B", while the one end is clearly mashed on, the flat edge has been struck with a hammer for probably some alternative use, but only a few times. I "could" imagine those cones as being used for expanding/ shrinking exhaust pipe, but the ID/OD is much smaller and not typically found on autos.

I go back to my working theory of item "B" being seal drivers, and they "closely" approximate seal OD's used on older cars where they took the S2/S6 type bearings.

Offline ron350

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2023, 06:26:23 PM »
 The three red steel cup things in post #8 are control arm bushing drivers.

i talked to a mechanic that still has a set of of these that he purchased in the early 1980's.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 12:39:50 AM by ron350 »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2023, 10:45:00 PM »
Ron, thanks. Makes total sense. I recall BITD, the mechanics in the shop would drive them out with impacts (if they didnt fall out on their own), and drive them back in the same way (but with a different bit). Using a proper tool makes much more sense and seems to be purpose built for that application.

Chevy control arm bushing pictured as examples.