Author Topic: Well that's a new one  (Read 924 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Well that's a new one
« on: December 11, 2023, 09:25:27 AM »
I just got a kind of funny scam email.

Supposedly an email from Harbor freight telling me that I just won a free Ryobi chainsaw, from Harbor Freight not Home Depot.
And as you might guess they just copied and pasted a page from the HF website featuring their Portland brand of electric chainsaw which happens to be a Ryobi-ish lime green color.

I don't know why, but I just thought this was kind of funny, they couldn't even bother to use the name printed in big bold letters on the side of the Chainsaw pictured.
If they had done that they might be able to fool some people, but the scammers are probably located in India or China I'm assuming.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline geneg

Re: Well that's a new one
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 10:21:02 AM »
A few months ago,  The president of HF sent out a warning email about the scams.  In this instance, I don't beleive that HF had any control of the problem. 

old man rant.............
I do strongly fell that when a company allows information to be compromised, THEY should be held fully responsible.  Giving you "free" access to monitoring is less than a bandaid.   With effort & enforcement, scams could be at least minimized.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 11:27:50 AM »
My coworker gets them saying he won a Stanley tool set....from harbor freight.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 03:47:57 PM »
Why is it so hard for them to use a place where you can actually get the particular tools, and why are they so stuck on Harbor Freight?
Is it because they get a lot of internet buzz with all the people who love to hate Snapon or love to justify their HF tools by saying they're the same thing ( it's mostly on YouTube and the crazy comments sections ).
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 10:05:38 PM »
I get hammered with daily with ads like that. I ignore or delete all of them. I never even open any of them.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 01:17:38 PM »
I get hammered with daily with ads like that. I ignore or delete all of them. I never even open any of them.

Wise move Herb. I also just mark them as "junk" and blacklist their email addresses. My inbox gets about three/four of these scams every week. They mostly originate in India and Pakistan, and these scumbags try to entrap unsuspecting folks with a new scam every few weeks.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 01:22:10 PM »

Wise move Herb. I also just mark them as "junk" and blacklist their email addresses. My inbox gets about three/four of these scams every week. They mostly originate in India and Pakistan, and these scumbags try to entrap unsuspecting folks with a new scam every few weeks.
I don't actually get tons of emails and sometimes I'm just a little curious about the BS I'm getting.
Sadly I know my dad actually reads the emails and I have no clue just how many times he's ordered things that weren't delivered or just payed way too much for some cheap crap because he'll basically buy anything that says ARMY on it.
I try to tell him, but he doesn't listen usually saying " you just think everything is junk ".
Always lookin' to learn