Author Topic: stucco wall patch mix  (Read 2765 times)

Offline strik9

• X
stucco wall patch mix
« on: September 07, 2018, 07:42:31 PM »
We have block or brick snd stucco walls.  Not all were made well as my stupid drunk BIL was here doing some.
  He left a hollow in the corner of the window frame and I have been fixing water damage as a result.

Mortar mix does no stick well filling holes and cement mix shrinks a bit making crack filling a need a week later.

The builder was mixing tile adhesive into his stucco and it stayed up on the blocks perfectly as he did the walls.

So I tried it as a hole patch mix but had to invent a recipe.

One part mortar and equal part tile adhesive mixed dry make up thr magic mix.  For the patch mix use one messure of that to two measures of sifted sand mixed to about the consistancy of peanut butter.

I filled the hollow behind the alu window frame and then reformed the missing corner using two trowels.  The bigger patch was just the mix pushed off the big trowel and up into the hollow.  First the bottom 3" and then the upper half the same movement.  It did not try to flop out.

After this dries a thin pass of plaster wall patch compound to blend the edges and paint.  With my work you will note up close it was patched but much better than paint bubbles and water damaged.

Offline strik9

• X
Re: stucco wall patch mix
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 07:46:18 PM »
It sets in about four minutes when working it so work in managable areas and pretty good results are possible.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 09:59:15 AM »
A shot of DAP Fast'N Final over the solid fill leaves it ready for paint.  Which I don't have right now.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »
First coat paint turned out ok.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »
Looking good. That could be a hard material to patch well - by that I mean where the materials bond well over time and the patch doesn't pop out.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 08:42:21 PM »
Thanks.   It is a new area for me.
This is cement block wall with a heavy layer of plaster mix with something I do not know much about.  It is stable until water gets under it and that was the problem. 
   I sealed from outside and then for the inside.

Cement and sand shrinks leaving cracks and a mortar mix per the bag falls away on verticals. 
   The builder slipped me his trick of tile adhesive powder but not his recipe.  I had to invent one. 

No shrinkage and it sticks then sets fast.  Perfect.  As shown here it works and even with the world's shittiest low price paint it looks decent.

Best part: happy wife thinks it looks good.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 09:02:09 PM »
Thank goodness not everything cracks when it shrinks.

Keeping a house up is a lot of work but really worth it.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.