Author Topic: Ratchet Practice  (Read 32662 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Ratchet Practice
« on: August 13, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »
I am always a little surprised at how different one tool can be used in individual hands and we all seem to have particular habits when it comes to ratchets. I don't care much for QR for example - I just don't see the value but then I almost never use a ratchet and a socket directly together. I will always put a spinner on the ratchet unless there is no room. My favorite spinners are the original design Snap-ons.

I also tend to use the longest extension (that makes sense) possible. Just the way I am used to it I suppose. I also usually grab a non locking flex ratchet first. I don't care much for the rubberized or bimolded ratchet handles but all chrome or hard plastic either is fine for me.

I have to say a ratchet is most likely my favorite hand tool and wrenches only come out when a ratchet makes no sense or doesn't fit.

.So where do others fall in the discussion?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Ratchet Practice
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
I have all the spinners shown, and never ever use one. I never used them growing up so I simply never give them a thought when working. I prefer a QR ratchet myself. I find sockets and extensions release easier with QR when my hands are oily or greasy. I don't like any more extension than needed myself. As for a wrench or a ratchet it is a coin toss, depends on what I am doing and where I am.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 04:56:14 PM »
I don't know why but I just find this so interesting. No right way or wrong way just preference and habit.

I learned using the extensions but the spinners I added in my 20's.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 06:19:07 PM »
Though I love sockets and ratchets I've assembled a secondary set of inserts for use in ratcheting box wrenches just in case I need a different angle to work on or don't have the right size regular socket handy. Maybe it's my SHTF mentality?

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:37:58 PM »
I ever cared for QR ratchets and only use an extension when necessary. Just my taste, I guess. Only had a very few spinners, so I can't say yay or nay on them.
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 06:47:08 PM »
That is cool stuff Steve -- I have a few no-name spinner, but never got the "hang" for them.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 06:48:44 PM »
Those adapters have saved the day on many occasions. The ones with the spinner ring are nice.

Strik made some he sent me some time back that came in very handy.

Papaw that's what is so interesting to me. I guess it's like buying a car some want one color and a stick, some want an auto, some a pickup.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »
That is cool stuff Steve -- I have a few no-name spinner, but never got the "hang" for them.

I just use them once the fastener is loose to turn. Much faster than the ratchet and often I just pull the ratchet off altogether.

Offline BuckHenry

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 08:54:43 PM »
I really like the spinners too, but I rarely use one. I don't think I even have a complete set. This needs to be corrected.

Like you, a ratchet and socket have been my go to, wrenches only coming out when necesarry. More recently I have expanded my variety of metric wrenches, and have been using them more often. I only use an extention with a ratchet if needed, but almost always use a deep socket wether needed or not. I don't really have a preference about quick release, but my favorite ratchets are do not have that feature. Comfort grips and hard handles are OK, but round knurled handles are my favorites, and I really don't like polished steel handles.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 09:41:56 PM »
I have the whole drive size family (spinners)

Collected their cousins too (ratcheting spinners)

They sit on the side of the dance floor with their 3 eyed kinfolk (ratchet adapters)

Do I use them? Only for nostalgia sake in super rare occasions when I get a hankering to pull them out of the toolbox and toss them in the specialty box(es).

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 09:45:57 PM »
I usually use a 3/8 socket spinner once the nut is broken free. I have a flex handle ratchet but I almost never use it and only rarely use an extension. This might be because I almost never work on cars anymore, not having a project car but having a project house. Oh, and I use mostly Cornwell steel handles.

(Its good to be back, thanks everyone for the hard work)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 10:02:14 PM »
My preference is grabbing a ratchet first, wrenchs second.

But my ratchet of choice has changed dramatically in the past few years. For years I hated the slick SnapOn handles. this came from my time where turning wrenchs was money. I didn't like changing rachet sizes to break bolts loose then get a smaller one to run them out. I would just gorilla the little 3/8 rats and break it loose. the smooth snappys were easy to slip off of.  broke a knuckle with one and never wanted another. I used the Williams rats and they held up well to the abuse.

Now I've gotten a bit older and don't have an issue getting a bigger ratchet or breaker bar if it saves me a little pain. And theres a snappy or two in the go box now. ;D

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »
I found a link for the QR ones I posted. Looks like they're still available.
FWIW

https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-Metric-Ratcheting-Wrench-Adapter/dp/B0002NYCZE

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 12:34:21 AM »
I have the ratchet adapters but rarely use them. I did use them with a beam type torque wrench and the Snap-on Torqometers but mostly I use clickers now and they almost always have a ratchet head. I do use the 1/4 adapter with a stubby 1/4 handle for under dash work sometimes - so far it is the most compact  setup I have.

Ratchet adapters can sometimes be handy on a speed handle but that opens the question who really uses them much anymore. About the only place I use one is changing spark plugs on the Explorer and Spitfire.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 09:43:11 AM »
Ratchet adapters can be a real life saver when you need one. Not often, but highly valued when the need is there.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!