Author Topic: Small or small format ratchets  (Read 28331 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Small or small format ratchets
« on: October 19, 2018, 01:07:25 AM »
Some ratchets are better at getting into the small spaces than others. This thread is dedicated to them. I'll start off with a few please post what you've got.

In general I think these are the smallest 1/4 drive I have. The Plomb 4751 is about the tiniest I've ever seen but they seem to be very delicate. Almost all I've ever seen are broken in one or both directions, This one is functional but I'll never use to break anything loose or tighten anything up very tight. If you've ever seen the pawls they are very thin that's why they are so delicate. Blackhawk 24991 perhaps my favorite of the lot, Wright 90, Thorsen 77M, Wright2426, unmarked, Rich (?) R1, Williams Superatchet M-51 another of my personal favorites.

Just for scale

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Small or small format ratchets
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 01:09:30 AM »
Another group of 1/4 drive. Plomb 4751 for size reference, Toolcraft, Titan and Snap-on TMK739.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 01:17:29 AM »
Compact ratchets.

Snap-on FM710 3/8 in 1/4 body and Snap-on SF710 1/2 in 3/8 body.

Wright 3430 and 3440 3/8 in 1/4 bodies.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 06:17:56 AM »
Whenever I need to use 1/4” drive tools, I always grab an S-K ratchet. In 3/8” I like my Cornwell shorty.
-Don

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 06:32:32 AM »
So what you're saying is

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 07:50:15 AM »
Steve, you never cease to amaze with your great threads and tools. I know what you mean about the Plomb ratchet, the company didn’t keep it around very long. And that Blackhawk has to be as rare as a one legged man winning an ass kicking contest.   8)

lostmind

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »
P&C , needs a new owner

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »
So what you're saying is
The grey beard is good, but way too much hair!
-Don

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 10:13:28 AM »
Nice collections, Steve!

I finally grabbed a Titan 1/4"er for those crazy tight jobs and it has worked well. It has since basically superceeded all others for those tasks, although I do have a Chapman bit driver handy for some jobs. They make a nice set of tools!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 11:34:09 AM »
What's the quality on those open head ratchets from Thorsen or P&C ?
I've never seen one in person, but they always appeared to be designed for cost saving.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »
Thanks Cruiser!

Yes too bad about that little Plomb if it had been a bit more robust it would have sold well I believe. Every one I've seen pretty much is broken except the one in the pic.

The Blackhawk is a nice ratchet but I really like the ratchets they made.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »
d42 that was the old Most Interesting Man in the World character from the Dos XX ads. Making a joke and poking fun at the ads at the same time.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 12:32:05 PM »
Thanks Bonneyman!

The Titan if yours is like this one is surprising. I have also seen it as a bit driver.

How do you like the Chapman?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 12:34:05 PM »
Hickory the ratchet is a little coarse but pretty much bullet proof. Wright still makes an open gear as well. The idea is in harsh service they can be cleaned easily and without taking them apart.

I like having it but I don't think it would be a go to for me.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 03:31:26 PM »
d42 that was the old Most Interesting Man in the World character from the Dos XX ads. Making a joke and poking fun at the ads at the same time.
Got it. My reply was an attempt at Don humor. My daughter says my efforts are usually lame.
-Don

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 03:39:09 PM »
Thanks Bonneyman!

The Titan if yours is like this one is surprising. I have also seen it as a bit driver.

How do you like the Chapman?

If you're using the Chapman-supplied bits they aren't have bad. Not fine tooth at all - that would be the one improvement they could make.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 04:46:01 PM »
Hickory the ratchet is a little coarse but pretty much bullet proof. Wright still makes an open gear as well. The idea is in harsh service they can be cleaned easily and without taking them apart.

I like having it but I don't think it would be a go to for me.
Makes perfect sense , just hose it out with some wd40 and an air compressor and it's good to go.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 06:58:23 PM »

Got it. My reply was an attempt at Don humor. My daughter says my efforts are usually lame.
-Don

I get the same reaction most times. I try and wear it as a badge.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 07:00:33 PM »

If you're using the Chapman-supplied bits they aren't have bad. Not fine tooth at all - that would be the one improvement they could make.

Will it work with other bits?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 07:01:35 PM »

Makes perfect sense , just hose it out with some wd40 and an air compressor and it's good to go.

Pretty much. They are surprisingly rugged.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 09:46:57 PM »

Will it work with other bits?

Yes, but the Chapman bits have a detent ball to hold them in the tool, and a knurled round end on the back for twisting loose fasteners. I'll have to take some close-ups of those bits and driver.

Here's a few pics I already have.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 09:50:33 PM »
I did grab the mini Craftsman bit driver about 2 years ago. Also works well, nice strong magnet in the head to hold the any regular bits. I set up a set of old hex drive sockets to use with it.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 10:15:07 PM »
SK seems quite taken with the Chapmans.

I have a set of Craftsmans like yours. Have some others I'll post up.

Thanks for the pix.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 10:33:46 PM »
SK seems quite taken with the Chapmans.

I have a set of Craftsmans like yours. Have some others I'll post up.

Thanks for the pix.

That's an old pic. I've managed to fill that box with Chapman bits as I found them one at a time.

Then someone brought up the company website and I could've gotten the whole thing with one shot!  :-[

https://chapmanmfg.com

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 11:52:03 PM »
It might have been SK.

I like the stubby reverseable but screwdrivers they have.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2018, 11:09:56 AM »
OK here's my current line up of Chapman stuff. And a close up of their great drive bits.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »
And my assortment of small format rats compared to an S-K 1/4"er.

Really like the Reverse Gear! Short, offset, reversible, fine tooth. Mine's a Husky but I'm sure that R.G. made them for other companies.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:14:06 AM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 12:56:07 PM »

Really like the Reverse Gear! Short, offset, reversible, fine tooth. Mine's a Husky but I'm sure that R.G. made them for other companies.
Is that top one one of the old Stanley Yankee bit ratchets ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 03:23:21 PM »
I just remembered about the little 1/4" ratchet I made from a Craftsman USA 12mm ratcheting combo.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 03:36:15 PM »
Here are my 3/8” drive shortys. I misplaced the Cornwell for a while so bought the Snap-on as a substitute. When the Cornwell finally turned up I was really glad because I much preferred it.
-Don

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 03:49:25 PM »
Here are my 3/8” drive shortys. I misplaced the Cornwell for a while so bought the Snap-on as a substitute. When the Cornwell finally turned up I was really glad because I much preferred it.
-Don
Yeah the Cornwell looks more natural while the Snapon looks like they cut off a standard 3/8 ratchet attacked a ball to the end.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 04:02:54 PM »

It says General Tool on it. Don't know if Stanley owns them or not....yet.

Nice little mechanism. Reversible, which the Chapman is not.
When you combine the General ratchet with the Chapman bits you've got a really nice combo.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:04:55 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2018, 04:10:15 PM »

It says General Tool on it. Don't know if Stanley owns them or not....yet.

Nice little mechanism. Reversible, which the Chapman is not.
When you combine the General ratchet with the Chapman bits you've got a really nice combo.
I've seen the general ones, and the STANLEY's look identical so I'm assuming one company made them for the other.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »
I like that compact Cornwell. Didn't know they made one but it's pretty cool.

HnS I have the same stubby Snap-on d42 has - it has been used extensively over the years one of my favorite ratchets. The new version though uses a flair at the end instead if a ball and that one I'm not as impressed with.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 06:35:49 PM »
Does anyone here own one of the little Oxwall open head 1/4" ratchets ?
I'm sure they suck, but I've seen many pictures of them and I'm very curious how bad they actually are.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2018, 07:00:08 PM »
I am in possession of one that will be going to Mexico soon. It still (unbelievably) works which means it must never have been used. I'll get a pic or two up.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
I am in possession of one that will be going to Mexico soon. It still (unbelievably) works which means it must never have been used. I'll get a pic or two up.
I actually like the looks of them, too bad their tools have to lack any hint of quality.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »
I've seen the general ones, and the STANLEY's look identical so I'm assuming one company made them for the other.

That's good to know, as parts can be swapped between them and mods would be easy to do.

Maybe I should take one of my General bit rats and make a super-compact 3/8" drive out of it?  :))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2018, 07:58:46 PM »

That's good to know, as parts can be swapped between them and mods would be easy to do.

Maybe I should take one of my General bit rats and make a super-compact 3/8" drive out of it?  :))
I don't know if it's possible but if anyone can do it it's probably you.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2018, 08:29:14 PM »
Here is the Oxwall. sounds like maybe you've seen them before but since I took and loaded the pix to Flikr I'll go ahead and post them.

If you look closely at the top and bottom plates by the gear you can see some spreading. I guess someone did try to use it at some point.

Compared to a Thorsen and a Snap-on M70 both of similar construction. The Snap-on is 9/32 drive so maybe not exactly apples to apples. The Snap-on is pretty early and one of the first designs used in other than 1/2 drive sizes.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »
A couple Snap-on stubby ratchets and as Snap-on calls it a multipurpse ratchet head. Two 3/8 and two flex. Quite handy. I prefer the ball end to the flare end but the 1/2 never was available with the ball end. I don't think the 1/2 is/was very popular the dealer sold it to me for less than his cost. He had it bouncing around in the truck for a long while and never sold one

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2018, 09:31:08 PM »
Here is the Oxwall. sounds like maybe you've seen them before but since I took and loaded the pix to Flikr I'll go ahead and post them.

If you look closely at the top and bottom plates by the gear you can see some spreading. I guess someone did try to use it at some point.

Compared to a Thorsen and a Snap-on M70 both of similar construction. The Snap-on is 9/32 drive so maybe not exactly apples to apples. The Snap-on is pretty early and one of the first designs used in other than 1/2 drive sizes.

Thanks for the picture.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2018, 09:33:23 PM »
Here's the Stanley version of the bit ratchet, I realize now I was mistaken and it's not as identical to the general as I thought. It appears to basically be a Chapman with a reverse switch.

I've also seen pictures of one with a fixed standard drive which of course did not take bits.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 09:35:42 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2018, 11:52:16 PM »
So, outside normal 1/4 drive ratchets, these are my bitty ones

As you can see, I also have the Cornwell and Snap-on stubbies, the Corny being my go-to 90% of the time. Next to them is a Millers Falls 1/4 ratchet, which is basically the Chapman with a permanently attached anvil. Don't really use it, but there it is.

Along Chapman products, I picked this old timer up a while back

Also, if you want to try Chapman products, drop me a line JAFE and the yellow vinyl set is yours for shipping. I picked it up cheap and have others.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2018, 12:20:32 AM »
I think I'm going to have to try out one of these Chapman or general style bit ratchets at some point, not something I truly need though so It won't be any time soon.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2018, 02:05:43 AM »
PM sent, thanks!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2018, 02:15:37 AM »
Since the thread has taken a turn into bit drivers might as well post up what I have.

I was rewiring an old Chevy for a friend and needed something to get at some of the screws up behind the dash. In fact there was a lot going on back there and room was a bit on the cramped side. Sort of reminded me of a TARDIS in a couple places. A regular ratcheting stubby screwdriver wouldn't fit in but as luck would have it I had a 1/4 drive stubby handle and a ratchet adapter and a bit holder and it worked great. There were a couple spots I had to work without the ratcheting adapter but for the most part it was a shown. Comparison to a hard handle and soft handle Snap-on ratcheting screwdrivers. Since then I've used any number of times including taking apart of the dash on my wifes Buick.

Offline snapmom

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2018, 07:06:44 AM »
a couple of SO,  the mv71 is not factory.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2018, 07:15:25 AM »
Quite neat snapmom thanks for posting!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2018, 10:11:42 AM »
Those larger heads in smaller ratchet bodies assembled tools are becoming quite the rage. I've seen many 3/8" in 1/4" bodies, but lately more and more 1/2" in 3/8" bodies have popped up.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
Those larger heads in smaller ratchet bodies assembled tools are becoming quite the rage. I've seen many 3/8" in 1/4" bodies, but lately more and more 1/2" in 3/8" bodies have popped up.

Who makes those now? I bought my Snappy versions of those in 1/2" and 3/8" back in the 1980's. I figured those were no longer being made by many manufacturers. I know Wright played with the idea a few years ago.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline GNAP

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2018, 10:48:50 AM »
I’m waiting for the 3/4” drive in the 1/4” body...................... :))
jack

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2018, 11:56:25 AM »

I have a couple 1/2 in 3/8 bodies but Snap-on quit making them a while back. Hopefully they will reintroduce them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2018, 02:13:24 PM »
Honestly I saw a thread over at the other site, seems like there are a number of tool/parts combos the guys are mixing to come up with the 1/2" in 3/8" bodies.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2018, 05:13:56 PM »
Snagged this set at Lowes a while back because it was on sale. Don't recall exactly what I paid but 10 seems to be stuck in my mind. The ratcheting wrench is very similar to the Reverse Gear Bonneyman posted in post #26. The ratcheting wrench was drew me to the set.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2018, 05:30:01 PM »
Shoot, those would work, Steve!    8)

And they'd take up very little space in the tool tote.

I have a similar set from Ace with a small bit driver instead of a ratchet. They had been discontinued, but the other store affiliated with us had a few, so, I did an IST and got it. Around $9 as I recall.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:42:47 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2018, 05:40:30 PM »
I’m waiting for the 3/4” drive in the 1/4” body...................... :))

Like this one?    :-[
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:43:22 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2018, 05:54:07 PM »
... I have a similar set from Ace with a small bit driver instead of a ratchet. They had been discontinued, but the other store affiliated with us had a few, so, I did an IST and got it. Around $9 as I recall.

That is a nice set to have .

Hard to believe someone can make all the pieces, put together a set, schlep it half way around the world, market it and sell it for that kind of money. I know closeouts get reduced pretty low but I wouldn't think ACE, Lowes or anyone else would want to take a loss on it. Maybe somewhere around cost?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2018, 06:15:45 PM »
... I have a similar set from Ace with a small bit driver instead of a ratchet. They had been discontinued, but the other store affiliated with us had a few, so, I did an IST and got it. Around $9 as I recall.

That is a nice set to have .

Hard to believe someone can make all the pieces, put together a set, schlep it half way around the world, market it and sell it for that kind of money. I know closeouts get reduced pretty low but I wouldn't think ACE, Lowes or anyone else would want to take a loss on it. Maybe somewhere around cost?

$9 was with my employee discount at the time. I think it was more like $12-14 to Joe public. I believe the discount was cost plus ten percent.

Ace is so big and does such a volume manufacturers will do almost anything Ace asked. And if a company burps even once Ace knows there are scads of other manufacturers waiting in the wings to snatch that contract up. And their prices for just regular stuff is ridiculous. Now that I no longer get the discount (I got it up until about 2 weeks ago, as they extended the perk to people who left on good terms - and I left almost 18 months ago! But they've decided to eliminate that policy.) I rarely go in there.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2018, 06:32:51 PM »
Shoot, those would work, Steve!    8)

And they'd take up very little space in the tool tote.

I have a similar set from Ace with a small bit driver instead of a ratchet. They had been discontinued, but the other store affiliated with us had a few, so, I did an IST and got it. Around $9 as I recall.
I used to have the same exact set with the husky brand, I also had a T handle one.
Both on sale for $10.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2018, 09:02:10 PM »
Snagged this set at Lowes a while back because it was on sale. Don't recall exactly what I paid but 10 seems to be stuck in my mind. The ratcheting wrench is very similar to the Reverse Gear Bonneyman posted in post #26. The ratcheting wrench was drew me to the set.

10-12 years ago Sears offered a set that was a twin to that set which I bought and have always been pleased to have. I think i paid about about $20 for my set though.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Redvise

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2018, 06:44:23 PM »
Came across these short Proto 1/4" ratchets a while  ago. Possibly a military / industrial use, as they have a hole rather than a detent, to permanently mount it ?
And a couple of other ones.

There's a SK, Thorsen, Sparta, Indestro, Wizard and a Master Mechanic.
Also an unknown tombstone, Plomb WF-8 , 2 Craftsman and the Protos.

Brian

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2018, 09:52:37 PM »
You have some really nice ratchets there. I really like the short Proto.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2018, 11:23:10 PM »
JAFE's right - nice ratchet collection!

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2018, 03:32:13 AM »
A few here. Old photos. More around here somewhere. I believe the Wright 2400 is still the smallest diameter head of any of the old-school type 1/4" RHFT units.
For all the badmouthing, you can't beat the laminated Oxwall model on thickness at the business end. Unfortunately it's not designed for any real torque.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »
I knew there would be an Indestro ratchet in there! I just had to search for it for a second.  ;)
I picked up this military Snap-on at a garage sale on Saturday and the NOS Walden came from eBay yesterday.
-Don

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2018, 03:16:06 PM »
Quote from: d42jeep
I knew there would be an Indestro ratchet in there! I just had to search for it for a second.

There are three of them in that first photo: 2875, 2880, and 6072
That's an old photo. I probably have at least a dozen each of the 2875 and 6072 models now. The 2880 was difficult to find - I think I only have one or two. The real toughie was the open-gear 6070 I posted in the "1/4 socket set" thread last night - took forever to find that one.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »
Quote from: d42jeep
I knew there would be an Indestro ratchet in there! I just had to search for it for a second.

There are three of them in that first photo: 2875, 2880, and 6072
That's an old photo. I probably have at least a dozen each of the 2875 and 6072 models now. The 2880 was difficult to find - I think I only have one or two. The real toughie was the open-gear 6070 I posted in the "1/4 socket set" thread last night - took forever to find that one.
The heads on the 6072 are large, but overall they are a relatively small ratchet.
I find mine to be a nice short ratchet that feels good In hand, they're a low tooth count but not a stiff mechanism and mine is fairly smooth.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »
Quote from: hickory n Steel
The heads on the 6072 are large, but overall they are a relatively small ratchet.

The 6072 is a 24-tooth mechanism, but using it you probably wouldn't know that. They are, as you noted, a fairly smooth mechanism. Unless I'm mistaken, the tooth count is the same on the older Proto 4749, but the Proto has a somewhat larger drive head.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »
some are small, some are not so small. The Wright 2400 is still one of the smallest. The Indestro 2875, the S-K 40970, and the various New Britain models run close seconds to the Wright as far as head diameter. these are just a few more that were within reach here: