Author Topic: Small or small format ratchets  (Read 28427 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Small or small format ratchets
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 03:49:25 PM »
Here are my 3/8” drive shortys. I misplaced the Cornwell for a while so bought the Snap-on as a substitute. When the Cornwell finally turned up I was really glad because I much preferred it.
-Don
Yeah the Cornwell looks more natural while the Snapon looks like they cut off a standard 3/8 ratchet attacked a ball to the end.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 04:02:54 PM »
And my assortment of small format rats compared to an S-K 1/4"er.

Really like the Reverse Gear! Short, offset, reversible, fine tooth. Mine's a Husky but I'm sure that R.G. made them for other companies.
Is that top one one of the old Stanley Yankee bit ratchets ?

It says General Tool on it. Don't know if Stanley owns them or not....yet.

Nice little mechanism. Reversible, which the Chapman is not.
When you combine the General ratchet with the Chapman bits you've got a really nice combo.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:04:55 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2018, 04:10:15 PM »
And my assortment of small format rats compared to an S-K 1/4"er.

Really like the Reverse Gear! Short, offset, reversible, fine tooth. Mine's a Husky but I'm sure that R.G. made them for other companies.
Is that top one one of the old Stanley Yankee bit ratchets ?

It says General Tool on it. Don't know if Stanley owns them or not....yet.

Nice little mechanism. Reversible, which the Chapman is not.
When you combine the General ratchet with the Chapman bits you've got a really nice combo.
I've seen the general ones, and the STANLEY's look identical so I'm assuming one company made them for the other.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2018, 05:43:10 PM »
I like that compact Cornwell. Didn't know they made one but it's pretty cool.

HnS I have the same stubby Snap-on d42 has - it has been used extensively over the years one of my favorite ratchets. The new version though uses a flair at the end instead if a ball and that one I'm not as impressed with.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2018, 06:35:49 PM »
Does anyone here own one of the little Oxwall open head 1/4" ratchets ?
I'm sure they suck, but I've seen many pictures of them and I'm very curious how bad they actually are.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2018, 07:00:08 PM »
I am in possession of one that will be going to Mexico soon. It still (unbelievably) works which means it must never have been used. I'll get a pic or two up.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
I am in possession of one that will be going to Mexico soon. It still (unbelievably) works which means it must never have been used. I'll get a pic or two up.
I actually like the looks of them, too bad their tools have to lack any hint of quality.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »
I've seen the general ones, and the STANLEY's look identical so I'm assuming one company made them for the other.

That's good to know, as parts can be swapped between them and mods would be easy to do.

Maybe I should take one of my General bit rats and make a super-compact 3/8" drive out of it?  :))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2018, 07:58:46 PM »

That's good to know, as parts can be swapped between them and mods would be easy to do.

Maybe I should take one of my General bit rats and make a super-compact 3/8" drive out of it?  :))
I don't know if it's possible but if anyone can do it it's probably you.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2018, 08:29:14 PM »
Here is the Oxwall. sounds like maybe you've seen them before but since I took and loaded the pix to Flikr I'll go ahead and post them.

If you look closely at the top and bottom plates by the gear you can see some spreading. I guess someone did try to use it at some point.

Compared to a Thorsen and a Snap-on M70 both of similar construction. The Snap-on is 9/32 drive so maybe not exactly apples to apples. The Snap-on is pretty early and one of the first designs used in other than 1/2 drive sizes.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »
A couple Snap-on stubby ratchets and as Snap-on calls it a multipurpse ratchet head. Two 3/8 and two flex. Quite handy. I prefer the ball end to the flare end but the 1/2 never was available with the ball end. I don't think the 1/2 is/was very popular the dealer sold it to me for less than his cost. He had it bouncing around in the truck for a long while and never sold one

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2018, 09:31:08 PM »
Here is the Oxwall. sounds like maybe you've seen them before but since I took and loaded the pix to Flikr I'll go ahead and post them.

If you look closely at the top and bottom plates by the gear you can see some spreading. I guess someone did try to use it at some point.

Compared to a Thorsen and a Snap-on M70 both of similar construction. The Snap-on is 9/32 drive so maybe not exactly apples to apples. The Snap-on is pretty early and one of the first designs used in other than 1/2 drive sizes.

Thanks for the picture.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2018, 09:33:23 PM »
Here's the Stanley version of the bit ratchet, I realize now I was mistaken and it's not as identical to the general as I thought. It appears to basically be a Chapman with a reverse switch.

I've also seen pictures of one with a fixed standard drive which of course did not take bits.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 09:35:42 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2018, 11:52:16 PM »
So, outside normal 1/4 drive ratchets, these are my bitty ones

As you can see, I also have the Cornwell and Snap-on stubbies, the Corny being my go-to 90% of the time. Next to them is a Millers Falls 1/4 ratchet, which is basically the Chapman with a permanently attached anvil. Don't really use it, but there it is.

Along Chapman products, I picked this old timer up a while back

Also, if you want to try Chapman products, drop me a line JAFE and the yellow vinyl set is yours for shipping. I picked it up cheap and have others.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2018, 12:20:32 AM »
I think I'm going to have to try out one of these Chapman or general style bit ratchets at some point, not something I truly need though so It won't be any time soon.
Always lookin' to learn