Author Topic: Small or small format ratchets  (Read 28433 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Small or small format ratchets
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2018, 02:05:43 AM »
PM sent, thanks!
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2018, 02:15:37 AM »
Since the thread has taken a turn into bit drivers might as well post up what I have.

I was rewiring an old Chevy for a friend and needed something to get at some of the screws up behind the dash. In fact there was a lot going on back there and room was a bit on the cramped side. Sort of reminded me of a TARDIS in a couple places. A regular ratcheting stubby screwdriver wouldn't fit in but as luck would have it I had a 1/4 drive stubby handle and a ratchet adapter and a bit holder and it worked great. There were a couple spots I had to work without the ratcheting adapter but for the most part it was a shown. Comparison to a hard handle and soft handle Snap-on ratcheting screwdrivers. Since then I've used any number of times including taking apart of the dash on my wifes Buick.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline snapmom

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2018, 07:06:44 AM »
a couple of SO,  the mv71 is not factory.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2018, 07:15:25 AM »
Quite neat snapmom thanks for posting!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2018, 10:11:42 AM »
Those larger heads in smaller ratchet bodies assembled tools are becoming quite the rage. I've seen many 3/8" in 1/4" bodies, but lately more and more 1/2" in 3/8" bodies have popped up.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
Those larger heads in smaller ratchet bodies assembled tools are becoming quite the rage. I've seen many 3/8" in 1/4" bodies, but lately more and more 1/2" in 3/8" bodies have popped up.

Who makes those now? I bought my Snappy versions of those in 1/2" and 3/8" back in the 1980's. I figured those were no longer being made by many manufacturers. I know Wright played with the idea a few years ago.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline GNAP

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2018, 10:48:50 AM »
I’m waiting for the 3/4” drive in the 1/4” body...................... :))
jack

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2018, 11:56:25 AM »

I have a couple 1/2 in 3/8 bodies but Snap-on quit making them a while back. Hopefully they will reintroduce them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2018, 02:13:24 PM »
Honestly I saw a thread over at the other site, seems like there are a number of tool/parts combos the guys are mixing to come up with the 1/2" in 3/8" bodies.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2018, 05:13:56 PM »
Snagged this set at Lowes a while back because it was on sale. Don't recall exactly what I paid but 10 seems to be stuck in my mind. The ratcheting wrench is very similar to the Reverse Gear Bonneyman posted in post #26. The ratcheting wrench was drew me to the set.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2018, 05:30:01 PM »
Shoot, those would work, Steve!    8)

And they'd take up very little space in the tool tote.

I have a similar set from Ace with a small bit driver instead of a ratchet. They had been discontinued, but the other store affiliated with us had a few, so, I did an IST and got it. Around $9 as I recall.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:42:47 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2018, 05:40:30 PM »
I’m waiting for the 3/4” drive in the 1/4” body...................... :))

Like this one?    :-[
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:43:22 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2018, 05:54:07 PM »
... I have a similar set from Ace with a small bit driver instead of a ratchet. They had been discontinued, but the other store affiliated with us had a few, so, I did an IST and got it. Around $9 as I recall.

That is a nice set to have .

Hard to believe someone can make all the pieces, put together a set, schlep it half way around the world, market it and sell it for that kind of money. I know closeouts get reduced pretty low but I wouldn't think ACE, Lowes or anyone else would want to take a loss on it. Maybe somewhere around cost?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2018, 06:15:45 PM »
... I have a similar set from Ace with a small bit driver instead of a ratchet. They had been discontinued, but the other store affiliated with us had a few, so, I did an IST and got it. Around $9 as I recall.

That is a nice set to have .

Hard to believe someone can make all the pieces, put together a set, schlep it half way around the world, market it and sell it for that kind of money. I know closeouts get reduced pretty low but I wouldn't think ACE, Lowes or anyone else would want to take a loss on it. Maybe somewhere around cost?

$9 was with my employee discount at the time. I think it was more like $12-14 to Joe public. I believe the discount was cost plus ten percent.

Ace is so big and does such a volume manufacturers will do almost anything Ace asked. And if a company burps even once Ace knows there are scads of other manufacturers waiting in the wings to snatch that contract up. And their prices for just regular stuff is ridiculous. Now that I no longer get the discount (I got it up until about 2 weeks ago, as they extended the perk to people who left on good terms - and I left almost 18 months ago! But they've decided to eliminate that policy.) I rarely go in there.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2018, 06:32:51 PM »
Shoot, those would work, Steve!    8)

And they'd take up very little space in the tool tote.

I have a similar set from Ace with a small bit driver instead of a ratchet. They had been discontinued, but the other store affiliated with us had a few, so, I did an IST and got it. Around $9 as I recall.
I used to have the same exact set with the husky brand, I also had a T handle one.
Both on sale for $10.
Always lookin' to learn