Author Topic: An Indestro kind of day  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Plomb-er

An Indestro kind of day
« on: October 22, 2018, 09:51:52 AM »
Yesterday I went to a swap meet at one of our community colleges, kind of hit or miss, although there are 2 vintage too dealers that are regulars.
From one of the many junk sellers there I picked up some vintage Indestro goodness.
For $8 I got the 1/4 socket box that had 5 Indestro Super sockets, a rusty Fleet, and a Snap-On. Also included was the Indestro breaker bar and a Craftsman rat that needs a good cleaning.
The other score was the 3/8 drive Indestro 2736 flex head rat that he sold me for $7. I plan to put this with my other rats and put it to work when needed.
I was hoping to save the label in the box, but it seems too far gone, especially since the finish on the box is really rough. I'll just refinish the box and put it to use. Now to decide if I should stick to red or go custom.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: An Indestro kind of day
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 11:37:32 AM »
Yesterday I went to a swap meet at one of our community colleges, kind of hit or miss, although there are 2 vintage too dealers that are regulars.
From one of the many junk sellers there I picked up some vintage Indestro goodness.
For $8 I got the 1/4 socket box that had 5 Indestro Super sockets, a rusty Fleet, and a Snap-On. Also included was the Indestro breaker bar and a Craftsman rat that needs a good cleaning.
The other score was the 3/8 drive Indestro 2736 flex head rat that he sold me for $7. I plan to put this with my other rats and put it to work when needed.
I was hoping to save the label in the box, but it seems too far gone, especially since the finish on the box is really rough. I'll just refinish the box and put it to use. Now to decide if I should stick to red or go custom.

Use Rustoleum hammer tone finish, my go to for a project like that anymore.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Plomb-er

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 11:44:55 AM »
UB, that's a great idea. I've used the hammertone on some other boxes, I think this one will look great with that. Me thinks a trip to Home Depot might be in order.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 01:25:20 PM »
That Indestro rat looks quite long for a flex. I'm thinking it's got Super innards. If so, it's a bit odd with the parts. Take care not to loose anything if you disassemble it.

And the Craftsman figure-8 plate rat should snap back with a good clean and lube. Not much to those things.

Offline Plomb-er

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 02:12:51 PM »
That Indestro rat looks quite long for a flex. I'm thinking it's got Super innards. If so, it's a bit odd with the parts. Take care not to loose anything if you disassemble it.

And the Craftsman figure-8 plate rat should snap back with a good clean and lube. Not much to those things.

You sir, are correct, it is a Super, at least according to the handle.
The Craftsman will just get a quick clean and then be added to the 1/4" ratchet collection as long as the gears look good.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 04:18:27 PM »
Excellent score, I especially love the ratchet.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »
UB, that's a great idea. I've used the hammertone on some other boxes, I think this one will look great with that. Me thinks a trip to Home Depot might be in order.

What I like about the Hammertone finishes is they provide a little cover and distract from surface flaws and imperfections.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!