Author Topic: Should we start a left hand thread post?  (Read 5126 times)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Should we start a left hand thread post?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 11:21:50 PM »
A lot of the spinners on knock off wheels are left hand threads on two of the wheels.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 10:56:38 AM »
Some surface grinder wheels are held on the arbor with a LH nut.
In addition to Chryslers mentioned above, International had some LH wheel studs also.

So, is this info in a manual somewhere, or is it things you just have to learn as you go?

I've done some research on the thermocouple that I replaced, and there it is - right in the service literature. Never in 30+ years of service work on furnaces and water heaters have I run across reverse threads on a thermocouple fitting. Very specific routing of the thermocouple lead, a particular clip in a certain spot, and no bending for installation except near the nut end. Weirdest thing I've ever seen. 2004 WH - first time I've had to replace the T-couple.
I haven't been able to find out why they used such a weird thermocouple. I'm hoping the universal one I installed is acceptable - I'm checking constantly for overheating and other signs of malfunction. I hope them putting a reverse thread fitting on it was just to prevent the use of a non-OEM thermocouple.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 11:05:54 AM by bonneyman »

Offline Rural53

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 09:52:50 PM »
Threads on the rock bolts we installed last year on a job. A pain in the proverbial now, 12 months later with the scaffolding removed, and I need to get the abseiling contractors to check the torque on the nuts and they can't just use a torque wrench!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 03:39:16 AM by Rural53 »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2021, 06:17:54 PM »
Left hand threads on the left opener disc on my grain drill, John Deere 455.

I know. I had to replace one today.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline eborcim

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 10:34:27 PM »
Nut holding the pulley to a drill press spindle.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2021, 08:23:04 PM »
Working on my HK Porter bolt cutter (USA) the bolts holding the 2 cuttings jaw pivots, has one bolt that is LH, one is RH threaded.