Author Topic: The Shed  (Read 7953 times)

Offline highland512

The Shed
« on: November 16, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »
Ever since I moved from mom and dads after graduating one of the things I missed the most was working in the shed. It has always been a goal of mine to get one of my own. After living in three states, moving 5 times, working out of 1 and 2 car garages, and almost 10 years later I have my own shed. I found our (mostly mine) dream property after hunting for six months after I moved to Ohio.

The building is a 50’x90’

30’ of it has a concrete floor.

Current project is rebuilding the motor on this 1650 Oliver. The crank is scheduled to go see the crank dr, I’m pretty sure it’s bent.

Official beer drinking area with fully functional 1959 IH fridge. I picked it up at an auction for $5, plugged it in and painted it. It will freeze your hot beer in no time.

The rest of the building has a stone floor and I use it for storage. I can’t stand stuff sitting outside nor does my wife.

The house wasn’t quite up to my wife’s standards but I have been improving on it, when we bought this place she knew why I wanted it and she agreed on the purchase. I think I will keep her.....

Bonus pictures

1949 Farmall MD dad and I 100% restored about 15 years ago. I use to baby this tractor all the time then it got neglected while I was running around the country building stuff. Now I am bringing it back to life, word to the wise diesel is not what it use to be. Don’t let your diesel fuel set for more than a year or it will seize the rack on a fuel pump. 

The previous owner had screws on the wall to hang a wrench set. I had never stored wrenches like this before but I must say I like it. This set of rp SK’s are very easily put in and out of service by hanging on the wall.

My son “helping” daddy this past summer. He loves being in the shed with daddy, which I enjoy but I now know why dad was always yelling at me. Just like me this kid has no fear.

Offline DeadNutz

Re: The Shed
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 09:25:57 PM »
Thanks for the pics and story on the shed. That is a great shop with lots of room. Everybody needs space of their own to work and relax.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »
That's a nice sized shed. I wish I could get my tractors indoors but just cant swing it, yet. ;D

The young un will be wrenching on them tractors before you know it.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 09:53:36 PM »
Wonderful place -- a dream come true!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 09:55:45 PM »
Loving the IH fridge!

And seeing your son brings back memories of my dad yelling at me for messing with his tools. I used to take his tin snips and cut nails - he never did like that!  :-[

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 10:08:41 PM »
Very nice shed. Good you are breaking in a helper. Can't start to early.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline john k

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 11:06:39 PM »
Good bit of storage, with a concrete floor!   Screws on the wall, yup,  I decided why not, never had it before.   Hung up all the mismatched,  kind of nice to have them right over the vise,  cause my tool box is a good 15 feet away.  The old MD looks great,  when I bought the 460, specially went looking for a gasser for just that problem. 

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 11:01:03 PM »
That’s why I tore into the Oliver 1650 in the pictures. Reliable simple 6 cylinder gas that never needs plugged in or antigel dumped in the tank.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 09:38:56 AM »
Man what a space! I envy you for that shed very much!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline highland512

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 10:29:32 AM »
Having this amount of space comes with trade offs. Where not close to town, which dosnt bother me at all but the wifey wishes we where closer to the Walmart, etc. If you like to have neighbors this living out here isn't for you. Closest neighbor is 1 mile. The drive to work is 35 min. which I think is perfect but many people would say that's to much.

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 11:06:58 AM »
Man what a space! I envy you for that shed very much!
Same here! Would love to have a place like that to work in projects!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 11:33:12 AM »
... The drive to work is 35 min. which I think is perfect but many people would say that's to much.

You have a 35 minute drive and likely it's pretty much all driving with little or no stop and go. Many here drive ten miles and spend more than 35 minutes on the commute.

I once had a job about 65 miles from home and the commute was usually done on a motorcycle. In California splitting lanes is legal so the places where traffic got thick wasn't much hindrance. But driving that far twice a day did get tiresome.

How long did it take to tear down the tractor and yank the engine?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 12:50:57 PM »

You have a 35 minute drive and likely it's pretty much all driving with little or no stop and go. Many here drive ten miles and spend more than 35 minutes on the commute.

I once had a job about 65 miles from home and the commute was usually done on a motorcycle. In California splitting lanes is legal so the places where traffic got thick wasn't much hindrance. But driving that far twice a day did get tiresome.

How long did it take to tear down the tractor and yank the engine?

Like I said I love the 35 min drive. Gives me time to think to and from work. I have had 1 hour min and some 2.5 hr drive for the past 7 years so this is nice. I only have about 1.5 miles of quick moving "traffic", its the best drive I have had in years.

The tear down took about a week of working on it after supper for a couple hours every night. It could have been done much faster but I am in no hurry. I spent about another week of stripping the block down all the way down. Once I finish a couple projects in the house for my wife im going to start putting it back together.   

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »
You guys and your terminology.  SHED???   That's a building or shop.  A shed is what you buy at Lowes or from the Amish and it gets delivered on a standard size roll back.  Likely up to 10 x 16

I have a shed, it houses my lawn mowers, snow blower and a few other things.

Well, what ever you call it, I like it and am envious of and glad for you at the same time. 

Glad your son is out there with you, like others said, memories will be made

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »
Having this amount of space comes with trade offs. Where not close to town, which dosnt bother me at all but the wifey wishes we where closer to the Walmart, etc. If you like to have neighbors this living out here isn't for you. Closest neighbor is 1 mile. The drive to work is 35 min. which I think is perfect but many people would say that's to much.

That sounds perfect! 
boop/bop/beep