Author Topic: GJ BUTTHOLES  (Read 8179 times)

Offline ken w.

GJ BUTTHOLES
« on: December 11, 2018, 03:20:04 PM »
I've been posting over at GJ lately. it seems that when someone post over there they either don't read the entire post and respond with a rude comment that makes them really look like a jerk. I guess it's a reminder as why I stopped posting over there.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: GJ BUTTHOLES
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 03:23:48 PM »
Why even go there? I browse through once in a while, and the topics and questions are still mostly the same as they were ten years ago. There are very few GJ "old timers" left, and most of the real knowledgeable guys that actually knew how to do things have moved on to other venues.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 04:13:51 PM »
I started a Bonney tool thread over there, and have gotten good replies, great pics, and alot of info.

I keep "alive" over there just for the knowledge base and exposure to new tools and insights. But I can't sell, and if I want to buy I can't post in the actual classifieds thread - I have to PM the seller directly. Which has been fruitful.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »
I started a Bonney tool thread over there, and have gotten good replies, great pics, and alot of info.

I keep "alive" over there just for the knowledge base and exposure to new tools and insights. But I can't sell, and if I want to buy I can't post in the actual classifieds thread - I have to PM the seller directly. Which has been fruitful.

What do you mean that you can't sell?
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 07:25:37 AM »
There always seem to be a few that will dogpile on just about anyone.  I will call them on it from time to time just for giggles, doesn't seem to change. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 08:39:55 AM »

I think it has to do with a no-no I did once. I got a suspension some time back and since then - even though I've logged on - I get a page when I go to the classifieds saying I'm not allowed to do that. Can't respond to threads in there, either. (Though throughout the rest of the forum it's not a problem). I can browse, but that's it.

I stepped on somebodies toes once and they're still aching I guess!  ::)

Offline highland512

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 09:13:43 AM »
There is very few actual tool conversations that take place. Most of it is team snap on vs. team harbor freight waggin their dicks at each other. Or the Milwaukee or die club, a couple of those guys are ate up.  :-[

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 09:29:39 AM »
how about the go big or go home crowd?

last week, a guy posed a question. he has a remote shed that he needed to do some work in.  getting power there was huge amounts of money and he may only be there a year. was curious if he should be using his cordless tools  or a small generator and corded tools. he got some reasonable answers but several guys  told him he needed a large welder/generator giving reasons like "buy once cry once" an  "investment for life" and "you will never be sorry".

like telling a guy he needs a snap-on master set to change the oil in his lawnmower......
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 09:36:01 AM »
I think it has to do with a no-no I did once. I got a suspension some time back and since then - even though I've logged on - I get a page when I go to the classifieds saying I'm not allowed to do that. Can't respond to threads in there, either. (Though throughout the rest of the forum it's not a problem). I can browse, but that's it.

They've got the classifieds locked down so that nobody can reply to threads. Maybe try starting a thread in classifieds and if it won't let you PM one of the mods. One of the newer ones who won't remember your no-no ;)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »

I stepped on somebodies toes once and they're still aching I guess!  ::)

Weird.  Like Matt said, give it a try.  Back in 2012 they stopped letting people reply in the Classifieds section.  Inadvertently, it appears to have killed that section.  Classifieds were much livelier before that.
boop/bop/beep

Offline highland512

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 10:23:52 AM »
how about the go big or go home crowd?

last week, a guy posed a question. he has a remote shed that he needed to do some work in.  getting power there was huge amounts of money and he may only be there a year. was curious if he should be using his cordless tools  or a small generator and corded tools. he got some reasonable answers but several guys  told him he needed a large welder/generator giving reasons like "buy once cry once" an  "investment for life" and "you will never be sorry".

like telling a guy he needs a snap-on master set to change the oil in his lawnmower......

I remember that, poor guy couldn't get a straight answer for nothing.

One of my recent favorites was the guy who posted about an air compressor. Bought a nice IR t-30 but got it home and noticed it was 3ph, what do I do now he asked. Guys where telling him to sell it, or buy a phase converter, but dam. He already had it at home, swap the motors and use it.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »
I appreciate the encouragement guys, but I'm not worried about it. Since finding GG and making a home here I don't care much about GJ. It has a place, but I'll put my efforts into GG.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 03:32:57 PM »
how about the guy right now over there asked about a metric tap and die set. he wants to know if the hf set for 40 bucks is ok. fortunately a couple people have told him to stay clear if he can. somebody chimed in and said they had  had a pristine and complete hanson  set and someone short order told him he wouldn't touch hanson because irwin is shit. well he may be right but that set is 20 plus years old. long before irwin had anything to do with them. there is also a cman kromedge  set for sale. oh no, he should buy an astro set. nothing wrong with astro but i would guess taps are no their brightest spot.

both set are complete and less than 75 bucks shipped. if i didn't  have a metric set i would be on them like stink on shit.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 03:46:31 PM »
i kinda lied or my memory is bad. the cman kromedge is a smaller set but it is nib for 55 shipped!

the other set was a very nice  larger ace set  for 65 shipped. it is already sold. imagine that!

the hanson set is sae but only 45 bucks shipped and it is complete.

all sets  are complete except one is missing the screwdriver. you don't buy many replacement pieces for that kind of money

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 03:57:14 PM »
i kinda lied or my memory is bad. the cman kromedge is a smaller set but it is nib for 55 shipped!

the other set was a very nice  larger ace set  for 65 shipped. it is already sold. imagine that!

the hanson set is sae but only 45 bucks shipped and it is complete.

all sets  are complete except one is missing the screwdriver. you don't buy many replacement pieces for that kind of money

Amazing how cheap good tap/die sets can be found. I have passed on several, some just screaming deals. I just don't need multiples of those you know.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!