Author Topic: Truck prices - wow!!  (Read 8131 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Truck prices - wow!!
« on: December 20, 2018, 09:48:04 AM »
Just had breakfast with an old work colleague who's visiting on business. During the conversation we started talking about pickup trucks. I'm looking to buy in the next two years, and he needs one right now for his small property. He was also lamenting about the price of pickup trucks these days. I haven't studies the market for quite some time, but understand from several GG posts that the prices are through the roof.

He's been going crazy trying to find an extended cab (not crew cab) full-size 4x4 V8 powered 1/2 Ton pickup. It seems that out of the GM/Ford/Dodge Detroit based lines, the prices are over the top - the mid-tier (not luxury) options from the Big Three were all pushing $50K+ -- while the Toyota Tundra comparably equipped was in the high $40s. His final choice was a Nissan V8 Titan that he was able to price at around $38-40K. He drove it last week and although not quite an "apples to apples" comparison, the Titan was close to the things he wanted and he saved a good 8-10K over the other full-size options.

I haven't heard/read much about the Titan, but it seems that it's not a big seller, but does have full sized truck creds. Plus (according to my friend) dealers are willing to make the deals to move the product. Anyone here have experience with the Titan line?

I'm looking to trade the old 2003 4x4 Dodge Dakota (with only 10,500 miles on it -- LOL) for a much beefier trailer hauler next year. This might be a good option if the other Truck lines keep selling at crazy prices.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:50:50 AM by goodfellow »

Offline highland512

Re: Truck prices - wow!!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 10:43:08 AM »
The main problem with the Titan the the badge on the front, many people who buy trucks dont need a truck but they want the manly feel and Nissan isnt the manly truck granddad had. They have several appealing options, if you get one outfitted with the tow package and the cummins the truck is closer to 5/8 ton (if thats a thing) but IMHO they are one of the most unappealing trucks on the road based on looks but you know what they say about opinions. 

Biggest down fall I see with buying the Nissan is the resale. Unless one tends to keep a vehicle until it rusts back to the earth (this is who I am) the resale will be horrid. I would buy used and dont be afraid of miles, 100,000 miles on many of todays trucks is nothing. My wife's F150 has 105,000 now and still drives and runs as good as it did at 7,000 when we bought it.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 11:43:56 AM »
Back in 2005 shortly after my retirement from the USAF my wife and I went shopping for a new full-sized truck with a few must-haves.  It had to have a towing package, full-size bed and a V8.  We ended up buying an F-150 SuperCab (extended) with a 5.4 Triton and still have it with approximately 110K on the clock.  It has been a great truck and yes, I replaced the spark plugs at about 90K having to use the Lisle extraction kit when breaking only two.

Not having a preference in brands other than not caring for the looks of the Dodge we test drove the Ford, Chevy and Nissan models.  The Toyota at that time was more of a mid-sized.  We found the Nissan had some neat features such as the rear suicide doors opening beyond 90 degrees but the F-150 was the most quiet and comfortable ride of all three.  The Chevy still had drum rear brakes and I could not convince the salesman that I considered the discs a better system.

Fast-forward ahead to my time as a Chevy mechanic and working on new Silverados, I too was amazed at the sticker price and near inability to find one that was not a crew cab with the shorter bed.  A High Country model with a DuraMax Diesel was approaching $90K.  You can still get a fleet two-door at the minimum trim level but it usually has to be ordered.  The ones on the lot were all over $40K crew cab with many of the electronic upgrades usually meant for those who don't really need a truck.

Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 12:11:17 PM »
Ray, $50K doesn't buy what it used to :-[

I am shocked about what a lot of things cost.

As to the trucks, I only shopped on the internet for the one I bought this summer.  A leftover 17 Ford F250, 2wd, v8 plain jane, standard cab with a reading utility body.  It was a tick under $37K out the door. 

If you can deal with a used truck, start looking now and be ready to buy when you find the deal.  Being in a hurry is never conducive to getting a deal,,,,,,,,,,,,but you already know that

As to the Nissan, I have to agree with Highland, they just aren't what you think of when you think truck.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 04:40:51 PM »
I bought an 2019 f250 back in September. I special ordered it. They didn't have any gas models on the lot. no emissioned diesels for me.

My thinking is to find out how long the drivetrain has been used, you don't want to be the guinea pig on the latest,
 greatest. Ford is looking at 10speed trans for the MY20 so I had to buy now or wait several yrs to get the bugs worked out on the 10spd.

It cost more than my first house. :-\ 

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 05:31:05 PM »
Fugly, cost these days ,,,, :-[
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 05:51:22 PM »
Considering a base Impala starts at $30k are truck prices really that crazy?

My parents paid $30k for their house. My sister paid that for a brand new tunndra in 05. Times have changed.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 05:59:20 PM »
Considering a base Impala starts at $30k are truck prices really that crazy?

My parents paid $30k for their house. My sister paid that for a brand new tunndra in 05. Times have changed.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

They certainly have changed. I paid $20K for my 2003 extended cab Dakota 4x4 SLT in late 2002. The big cost these days is in all the electronics and gadgetry that is included in the pricing. The automatic transmissions alone are computer and solenoid marvels, but they come at a high price. A standard five/six speed would cost 1/3rd of the price, but then they wouldn't meet their DC bureaucracy mandated CAFE gas mileage metrics.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »
We may be needing a new vehicle soon, and the Mrs. and I are shocked by the prices.  :-\

Heck, I just went and bought an air filter for the van and it cost nearly 20$. For a lousy made-in-China pleated paper filter! :-[
I might have to start cutting up NOS HVAC filters to get the media out and fabricate my own filter. :P

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 08:33:14 PM »
For 50 bucks you throw in a K&N solves that problem, no more filter changes. Just did the wife CTS, sometimes cheap ends up costing more ........ much more

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline walrus

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 08:03:10 AM »
I've got a 2wheel drive, gasoline, dbl cab, 8 ft  body, cab and chassis sitting on the lot, came in tuesday after 9 weeks. 2500hd GMC. one option, cab lights, thats it, 40,000 bucks. Going to take old one, 200,000 miles to truck body shop to have reading aluminum body removed and mounted on new one. Spare tire and trailer hitch coming off old one.  3500 dollar trade in :-\

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 08:23:50 AM »
I've got a 2wheel drive, gasoline, dbl cab, 8 ft  body, cab and chassis sitting on the lot, came in tuesday after 9 weeks. 2500hd GMC. one option, cab lights, thats it, 40,000 bucks. Going to take old one, 200,000 miles to truck body shop to have reading aluminum body removed and mounted on new one. Spare tire and trailer hitch coming off old one.  3500 dollar trade in :-\

Given it's a large 2500HD, I would think that price is in the ballpark these days. What amazes me is that you can still order a stripped down "contractor special" configuration from any of these manufcaturers. They seem to have forgotten their "bread and butter" customer base along the way. Most of what I read online is that the demand for stripped down manual transmission trucks is still there, but the manufcaturers are not supporting that demand.

I did read last year that the Nissan Frontier is quite popular with certain trades and businesses because it can still be ordered totally stripped with just AC and PS, a five speed manual, and 4 cylinder base engine for less than $18K. That's about as low and basic a truck you can buy in the US.

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 09:32:23 AM »
The last contractor I worked for bought their ford truck by the hundreds. They own the largest privet ford fleet in the world. Anyways they had a shipment of new company trucks show up on the job with power windows and locks, we where all shocked. The equipment supervisors said that Ford told them that power windows and locks where now standard and crank windows would cost more $$$.

I love my diesel truck but one of the main reasons Im still driving a 2004 is the new trucks are a emissions maintenance nightmare. And its a 6 speed, if you cant shake hands with your truck every morning then its not a real truck  :D

I am real torn about what to do for my next truck.
Option 1: Word on the street is Ford will option a 7.3 gas motor with push rods (no ohc junk) to replace the v10 in 2020. This has me thinking  >:D, procharged super duty would be fun. I think you would have the power of a diesel with out the cost.

Option 2: Go to the south west and find a good rolling chassis truck with a good body and build my own. An International DT360 with a ZF6, all mechanical and VERY robust, just takes time which is in short supply these days.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 10:03:53 AM »
We've got a DT360 in our horse rig and it has never given us any trouble. Our tractor and 38' horse trailer weigh 20,000lbs empty and I wouldn't consider it a speed demon and it isn't the greatest mileage. It does a whopping 62mph up against the governor which is fast enough hauling horses. It just seems like you are going nowhere when the semis are blasting past at a 75mph speed limit.

Offline walrus

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 03:12:07 PM »

Given it's a large 2500HD, I would think that price is in the ballpark these days. What amazes me is that you can still order a stripped down "contractor special" configuration from any of these manufcaturers. They seem to have forgotten their "bread and butter" customer base along the way. Most of what I read online is that the demand for stripped down manual transmission trucks is still there, but the manufcaturers are not supporting that demand.

I did read last year that the Nissan Frontier is quite popular with certain trades and businesses because it can still be ordered totally stripped with just AC and PS, a five speed manual, and 4 cylinder base engine for less than $18K. That's about as low and basic a truck you can buy in the US.
Its not really stripped down as power windows, power locks, cruise and AC are all standard