Author Topic: Truck prices - wow!!  (Read 8130 times)

Offline slip knot

Re: Truck prices - wow!!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 04:31:39 PM »
Our fleet super dutys come with roll up windows and manual locks. 'but no standards for us. Kids nowdays just don't understand clutch and stick. Even our HD trucks come with automatics. Those Allisons take a beating too. :-\

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 06:14:37 PM »
Our fleet super dutys come with roll up windows and manual locks. 'but no standards for us. Kids nowdays just don't understand clutch and stick. Even our HD trucks come with automatics. Those Allisons take a beating too. :-\

Probably for the best, I don’t know why you would want manuals in fleet trucks anyway. Not many advantages to having a manual anymore.

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 09:20:36 PM »
Just had breakfast with an old work colleague who's visiting on business. During the conversation we started talking about pickup trucks. I'm looking to buy in the next two years, and he needs one right now for his small property. He was also lamenting about the price of pickup trucks these days. I haven't studies the market for quite some time, but understand from several GG posts that the prices are through the roof.

He's been going crazy trying to find an extended cab (not crew cab) full-size 4x4 V8 powered 1/2 Ton pickup. It seems that out of the GM/Ford/Dodge Detroit based lines, the prices are over the top - the mid-tier (not luxury) options from the Big Three were all pushing $50K+ -- while the Toyota Tundra comparably equipped was in the high $40s. His final choice was a Nissan V8 Titan that he was able to price at around $38-40K. He drove it last week and although not quite an "apples to apples" comparison, the Titan was close to the things he wanted and he saved a good 8-10K over the other full-size options.

I haven't heard/read much about the Titan, but it seems that it's not a big seller, but does have full sized truck creds. Plus (according to my friend) dealers are willing to make the deals to move the product. Anyone here have experience with the Titan line?

I'm looking to trade the old 2003 4x4 Dodge Dakota (with only 10,500 miles on it -- LOL) for a much beefier trailer hauler next year. This might be a good option if the other Truck lines keep selling at crazy prices.

Cannot elaborate on the Titan-but did buy a 2007 Frontier-new in 07.  Midsize like a tacoma, nice looking truck-was priced at mid range at the time in the 26K$$.  Started having vibration issues with the brakes in the teens/mileage-had to have them replaced F&R @18K.   Nissan zone mgr. told me to my face that I didn't know how to drive a truck-was my fault!  Fixed that problem and started with the vibration issue again, this time it was the Drive shaft flex coupler ripped apart!   Same mgr. told me I didn't know how to drive a truck! Drove it out the door and same problem off and on for several months-kept taking it back to original dealer-leave overnight-check back next P.M. same problem ensued.   Got to a point where I would chaulk mark the tires and found it was never moved when I took it in!! :'(  Decided to check things out on line and found several thousand un-happy owners ALL had the same problem going on-some still in waurantee and some not!!   Seems that they had the same enginering problem on all three platform vehicles, frontier, exterra, pathfinder all had a two-piece snap-together transmisson cooler line running thru the radiator to cool atf=would back siphon and mix antifreeze with atf and had a milkshake, which would wreck the tranny clutches-was cavitating at 37mph thus causing vibration issues in drive train!   Nissan was aware of the problem but was in denial to the public-swore up and down no problems existed!   I was actually amazed when I took it to another dealer and the senior mechanic cam e out to discuss it with me and advised that HE got nissan to air freight a new tranny, radiator and other items so he could get it fixed for me N/C-I had to pay for a new oil change & filter($59.00) He also advised me to get rid of it before my 60K drive train expired-I followed the advise and bought a new Tundra-took a bath on the trade in-dealer sent it to the auto auction!   My first toyota was in 1977 and several followed afterwards-today driving a 13 tundra and wife has 13 camry-basic middle of the road vehicles with NO Major issues.   Understand the current leader at Nissan is in hot water for screwing the shareholders out of $$$-seems he already did a numer of past truck owners!   Cannot answer any questions on the Titan-don't see a lot on the road or new car lots here!   Just my two cents worth-go online and pose the question to other owners.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »
I bought a '10 Nissan Frontier last year, 4x4 extended cab with 4.0 v6 and a six-speed. $17,000. No trouble with it so far except the clutch. Not surprising with the lack of sticks in the world. Between my dad and me, this is the 5th Datsun/Nissan truck and probably a million miles on them. Great pickups.

I had a Subaru Brat back in school, it was great. Could throw my motorcycle in the back along with a travel trunk and be halfway across the west in a day. Wish they would make one with the Forrester.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 09:19:40 AM »
Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning to the Titan as well. Done some research and it seems like a great package -- and like the Tundra in Texas, it's made in Mississippi (not Mexico like many Fords or Dodges).

At present I have a great 2003 Dakota extended cab 4x4 with less than 10K miles on it. It was purchased for an expected job relocation to Alabama back in 2002. The job and the relocation never materialized, so the truck was mainly used very sporadically to make Home Depot and dump runs. It has the 3.9L V6, and although good on fuel efficiency, it's not ideal for hauling a car trailer for any long distances. In fact it really couldn't handle that kind of load. I plan on purchasing a quality car hauler and I need a truck designed to tow it. The Titan comes with a trailer hauling package as standard equipment in their mid-tier offerings, and is priced a lot lower than all the other comparable full-size makes. The 5.6L V8 is a proven design and would be the right fit. I really don't like turbos and especially the Ford eco-boost options -- at least not in a full sized pickup.

I was just wondering whether anyone had any experience with the engine (it's also found the large Armada and Infinity SUVs). 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:18:02 PM by goodfellow »