Author Topic: Your boss  (Read 8475 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Your boss
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »
Been my own boss for 30 years, getting tired of it to tell the truth.  But don't think I could put up with corporate bs either so I likely made the best decision starting a business

You would tire of the BS of stepping and fetching at the behest of others in short order Phil. grass always looks greener, but as long as you are covering the bills then it seems you have the best of it all to me bubba!  ;)
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2018, 09:28:17 AM »
I agree, Phil. Working for yourself has it's own problems doesn't it? At the end of the day though I think it's better than working for someone else.

I try and stay strategically quiet at work. No sense putting a target on your back by revealing your thoughts in a meeting when you know good and well no advice garnered will actually be implemented.  Just wish people would be up front and honest. Just tell me the deal - the good, the bad, and the ugly. I can handle the truth, however horrible or unsavory it is. At least you know where you stand and what the real issue(s) are. But almost nobody does that.
Just that you can't tell who you can trust anymore - and that is a real danger. And if you can't trust your boss - better get the heck out of that place!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 09:29:57 AM by bonneyman »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2018, 12:29:56 PM »
Been my own boss for 30 years, getting tired of it to tell the truth.  But don't think I could put up with corporate bs either so I likely made the best decision starting a business

You would tire of the BS of stepping and fetching at the behest of others in short order Phil. grass always looks greener, but as long as you are covering the bills then it seems you have the best of it all to me bubba!  ;)

You are likely dead on about the stepping and fetching.  As far as covering the bills, we have always make a decent living.   My wife and I are both savers and really live with low overhead so we are ok going into retirement.  I made the right decision given the circumstances though I do regret not spending enough time with my kids when they were young but I likely would have done the same if I was an employee.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 11:05:08 PM »
My bosses now are good.  The boss I had 7-8 years ago was my worst.  She was a complete idiot and all of us wondered how she got her job because she wasn't attractive, charismatic, and most important, competent.  Bad bosses for me will always be compared to this idiot.
boop/bop/beep

Offline walrus

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 07:31:28 AM »
Me too, started in May of 1988. Thats a long time ago. Made my share of mistakes during that time. Some I don't want to admit to.  But I kept going just the same.

Offline highland512

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 08:43:01 AM »
My boss graduated top of his class at the best engineering college in the country, I graduated from state college voted most likely to use a bigger hammer. Surprisingly our skills seem to equal each other out real well.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
My boss graduated top of his class at the best engineering college in the country, I graduated from state college voted most likely to use a bigger hammer. Surprisingly our skills seem to equal each other out real well.

LOL -- Some of the best engineers I've ever worked with were excellent theoreticians and designers, but very bad at applied logic and physical implementation. I found my niche almost 40 years ago by working as the bridge between the theoreticians and the application developers. Worst boss(es) I've ever had were the pure theory based ideologues who could not see the other side of the equation -- namely the implementation side. I quit two jobs because the bosses had that mindset.