Author Topic: My Bicycle-- 1995 Specialized Hardrock Ultra 21-Gear, Wt~32lbs  (Read 10541 times)

Offline icon

Re: My Bicycle-- 1995 Specialized Hardrock Ultra 21-Gear, Wt~32lbs
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 07:17:30 PM »
Sorry for bringing up such an old post, but what is the diameter of the seat post on this one? I just bought the exact same bike used and it came with a 25.8mm post. It doesn't seem right as the clamp was clamped down pretty damn tight.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 05:15:51 PM »
icon,

Sorry it took so long to reply to your inquirey.  Congrats on your bike find.

I just shot a quick measurement with my Vern. calipers and got a 24mm reading off my seat post.  It fits fairly snug in the downtube and only requires a light twist of the the clamp lever to tighten.

Hope this helps.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline icon

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 12:15:45 PM »
Thanks lauver, that seems strange. The 25.8mm post seems to be too small for mine (seat collar lever is definitely overtightened). Everywhere else on the internet is saying that it's likely a 26.6mm, so I got that, but couldn't get it to fit even after re-straightening the seat collar. Gonna try to find a bike shop with a seat post measurement tool and hopefully they can let me know. It sucks that seat posts around this size are almost always sold out though.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2021, 11:30:36 AM »
Sorry for the delayed response, lauver.
Just took a few pics of my bike to explain to another forum member what I'd done. My hybrid is a mountain bike frame and fork, with mostly road components. And the wheels are more cyclo-cross, with as big a tire as the frame will allow. Comfort was my goal here, with simplicity  a close second. I run a two ring crank with 7 speed freewheel. I can't climb mountains, and on long downhills I'm short on gears. But for the majority of the cycling I do, it's a great setup.
Getting the front derailler to work was a challenge. You see, I like old French parts, but the frame is designed for the modern and popular Japanese parts. My front derailler is a bottom pull, as when it was made all frame pulled the derailler from the bottom. Most new frames are top pull. So, I designed and made a pulley system to allow me to operate the bottom pull derailler from the top pull lug. I used a cable pulley from a 3-speed bike to change the direction of cable pull 180 deg to get it to work. Have never had any issues with it.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2021, 02:25:59 PM »
Bman,

That's a pretty slick solution you fab'd up. 

It also looks simple, durable, and most importantly RELIABLE.  And, that is what bike riders need when they are way out and about on the roads  :PDT_Armataz_01_37:
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2022, 01:35:54 PM »
Gang,

Just an update on my Specialized Hardrock bike.  After about 10 years, my tires have thrown in the towel; the rubber outers are cracked, and the casings are separating.

So, I'm going to take the bike to the shop and have new tires installed and the spokes adjusted as needed.

Will post again when the bike gests back from the shop.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2022, 06:26:45 PM »
Fantastic! I also still have my 2003 Schwinn Sierra steed. New tires last year. Still going strong, though with my knees as they are it doesn't get as much mileage as it should. It's more of an apocalypse machine these days.

No problems with any of the components other than I changed the crank some years ago to an all-steel unit. Lightweight aluminum cogs just wear too fast.