Author Topic: How many of you folks maintain your "Daily Drivers"?  (Read 12658 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
How many of you folks maintain your "Daily Drivers"?
« on: January 02, 2019, 08:39:39 AM »
We have five cars in our family daily driver fleet -- almost all have over 80K miles on them (the Mazda has 228K miles) and they are maintained by yours truly. It takes quite a lot of effort to keep this bunch of vehicles on the road and keep up with required service intervals. In fact it's almost too much sometimes because as these vehicles hit 75K+ miles (except the Dakota which has very low mileage), they need a lot of additional mechanical/suspension maintenance -- shocks, belts, water pumps, timing belts, trans filters, brakes, etc.

I keep a spreadsheet on the maintenance of each car --

What do you guys do -- do the easy jobs yourself (fluids, brakes, etc.) and farm out the heavy labor intensive stuff, or do you do it all?
Around here (DC area), it's VERY expensive to get work done on a car.

05 Highlander 4WD
88 Mazda B2600 P/U 4x4
03 Dakota P/U 4x4
12 Traverse AWD
11 Caddy DTS

Do you guys stockpile fluids, filters, etc and spare parts (i.e. buy on sale and stock up) or just buy as you go?

I stockpile fluids, filters, brake pads (front and rear), and water pumps for the entire fleet. I also have alternator rebuild kits/parts for most all of the vehicles in stock.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:35:31 AM by goodfellow »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: How many of you folks maintain your "Daily Drivers"?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 09:07:06 AM »
I've always done my own work for the most part. Even the new cars I did the oil changes and maintenance on. Only thing I really don't do is tires and alignments. The new car though I doubt I'll do any work on as it's a lease.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 09:16:38 AM »
5 vehicles? Man, I get dizzy just thinking about that!  :o

I used to keep up pretty good on the Toyota. Now that it's gone I leave most things to the mechanic. We have a good one who doesn't charge in the stratosphere so when things need looked at we can take it in and not go broke.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 09:19:31 AM »
I do as much as I can, with the tools I own, the wife's CTS will need more care than I will be able to handle. But that is the way  cars are intentionally manufactured these days. And in many cases IS better for the next owners, when turned.

I was able to find a reliable repair service provider. That will be a good stand in for repairs in the future. Gave them some work on her SS, whenever I went back to look over the work, you could not tell any work was done, serviced as I would have.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 09:54:17 AM »
I do all the basics at the house, I try to keep all of the fluids and filters on hand. I buy almost all of my fluids and filters online due to availability and price. When you live out in the sticks and the local Walmart is out of stock on a particular filter I have to drive almost 20 miles to another Walmart or orileys to pick up a motorcraft filter and ford can take their 100% mark up and stick it in their a$$. I run balancing media in all of my tires so I never get them balanced at a shop, just rotate at home every oil change.

The last time I had someone work on one of our vehicles was replacing the clutch on my truck. The ZF6 in my truck is ruffly the size of small water buffalo and I just didnt have the time, tools, or the facility to do the job. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:03:13 AM by highland512 »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 09:59:00 AM »
I used to do most my own service. The wife likes taking her cars to the dealer or somewhere else. I let somebody do the oil changes on the Tacoma as it is a pain to drop the skid plate under the engine while on a creeper. I check fluids regularly and keep the washer fluid topped off with good anti-freeze washer fluid as it is needed when temps are single digit lows like this week.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 10:19:38 AM »
I have been doing less than I like to for the last few years with the garage loaded down with crap. Virtually anything is out of the question without without access to my shop. Everything has to be done in the driveway in good weather so I have not been keeping up with any of it as good as I should. I am close to having the garage cleaned out and look forward to being able to get cars in there summer and winter.
When I can get cars in the shop I handle most of it except tire/wheel/alignment work and anything transmission related. I hate farming work out especially since I enjoy doing the work, especially when I get do it my shop with the tools at my fingertips.

Hoping to get back on track in 2019.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 10:28:29 AM »
Before the 4Runner meeting with the Dodge Ram I did all my own vehicle maintenance, now the Jeep will  be maintained at the dealership at least while under warranty.  My BMW and Yamaha motorcycles are all mine and have never been to a shop with them for anything other than parts.

The '05 F150 with 110K and my eldest daughter's '03 Saturn Ion with ~165K (approx as I had to put in a salvage instrument panel cluster) and some work on my youngest daughter's '01 Subaru Forester beater is regular work.

While I worked at the Chevy shop, the Saturdays I was not working was open for personal work in my bays so access to parts and equipment like AC machines and the alignment rack was invaluable but gone now.  I was also able to get fluids and parts at a significant discount but now have to rely on Advance Auto for the Motorcraft and AC Delco filters and oil while NAPA and Rock Auto is where I first look for major parts.  I recently found Moog loaded struts for the Saturn at a price that made just replacing the cartridges not worthwhile and those with new sway bar links made it handle and ride like new.

Because I use a torque wrench were called for and a brake flush is a full fluid replacement in my garage, I always prefer to do whatever maintenance and wrenching I can.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 10:57:35 AM »
If I had a mechanic that I could trust and worked reasonable, I wouldn't touch my vehicles but finding that shop has been elusive.  K5 will do work for me when he is available and he is trustworthy for sure but not always available and has no shop. 

My neighbor has done some work for me with some success and some hack jobs. 

I will do some myself and the man who works for me does the oil changes.  I sometimes wish I had a lift and I would do more myself but I don't have the shop space for one. 

lostmind

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 12:24:32 PM »
I do my own on two cars , one 12 years old , the other 7 years old.
Brakes , tire rotate , oil changes and whatever else they need. They don't need much.
I'm 74 now , getting a little harder to do the rotates on the ground , I get free rotate , but it takes longer to drive there then to do it myself.

I have an escape , pain to get it up in the air on stands.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 12:34:36 PM »
Kinda funny Nick; you worked at a Chevy dealer and you only have a GM Saturn in the family fleet -- LOL

MY FIL worked as a mechanic for a Ford dealership at one time in the 1970s, and the entire family fleet (all six cars) were used Fords. I'm more inclined to buy GM these days because I'm more familiar with the parts and the technology. Worst cars to work on are European vehicles -- I won't touch 'em. I've worked on a few for family and friends (Audi and BMW) and in my opinion they are the worst.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:39:25 PM by goodfellow »

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 01:20:43 PM »
Kinda funny Nick; you worked at a Chevy dealer and you only have a GM Saturn in the family fleet -- LOL
Yup, I owned the F150 and 4Runner before going to work there and GM does not have anything in the mid-size SUV.  The Tahoe is too big for our needs.

The Saturn ION has been a really good car.  She likes her "Quad Coupe" and has a sticker on the window that it is equipped with a theft deterrent device.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 01:21:34 PM »
Well Ray, I went to check the oil on this----and

jeep

I will find that dipstick!!!  ;)

PB020136

If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 03:42:03 PM »
You are looking in the wrong place------ :))

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 03:49:08 PM »
Well Ray, I went to check the oil on this----and

jeep

I will find that dipstick!!!  ;)

PB020136

Very nice work Chuck! -- love me some old Civilian Jeeps

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 05:23:31 PM »

Very nice work Chuck! -- love me some old Civilian Jeeps
[/quote]

Thanks Ray, I'm going to start a thread on it soon.  ;D
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 05:25:48 PM »
You are looking in the wrong place------ :))

:-[ :-[ :-[       :)

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »
Also have five but two use the same oil filter and another two use the same filter and one odd truck out. I usually buy a "six pack" of wix filters off eBay. Not even sure they are real wix but they come wrapped up in a box with wix labels on em. I usually buy the oil by the gallon/5 quart jug and keep several "instock" . I've pretty much got em all on 5w-30 or 10w-30 for summer for the old ones.

We did an engine swap last yr. And did a trans over haul yr before. Now in the middle of another trans overhaul and front end part replacement . Found a stuck caliper so that answered why I pulled to the ditch under hard braking. Even got a free warranty replacement on that, and went ahead and replaced the rubber lines while we are there.
Also ordered up a water pump and gas pedal for the pickup. Haven't gotten to those yet with the holidays but the wife is squeaking on that so ill have to get er done pretty soon. Kinda balked at the fan thing but looked at it on YouTube and doesn't look too hard. I bought a small hf pipe wrench on hopes I can get it on there and get the fan and clutch off.

We have nothing with less than 100k miles. In fact I've been buying with about 100k miles to start as they are cheaper. Just have to do some diligence on em so you dint buy someone's money pit. Or at least get it at the right price.

I am dreading when I wont be able to do the work. Father time is undefeated. I've been looking at getting a fancier scan tool.they seem pretty cheap. Want to do abs and air bag stuff.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 06:14:49 PM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 05:55:51 PM »
Hey Chuck -- is that a vintage Craftsman torch I see laying on that stool? 

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 06:12:42 PM »

Do you mean on that white little condensation tank (from an old dehumidifier)? Hooked to the hose.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 06:56:43 PM »

Do you mean on that white little condensation tank (from an old dehumidifier)? Hooked to the hose.

Yes, it looks like an old Craftsman/Harris O/A torch -- it was one of their best products. I still have a pair of the two-stage regulators that came with that set.

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 07:09:32 PM »

Yes, it looks like an old Craftsman/Harris O/A torch -- it was one of their best products. I still have a pair of the two-stage regulators that came with that set.

I know the torch you're talking about , but------nope it's a scaler----way better than a wire wheel on heavy rust. I'm using it on the frame mostly.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »
Thanks Chuck -- yup, just my old eyes playing trick on me.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 07:16:43 PM »
I maintain both vehicle's. 97 Ranger and 08 Fusion. The only thing I wont do at home is major engine or transmission work.

Offline muddy

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 08:37:40 PM »
I do most of what I can do with the tools and room available to me. I usually only buy parts as needed. However I do keep a spare ignition pickup and rotor for the Plymouth as it has died on me twice.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 09:00:14 PM »
I still maintain the wifes Durango and the farm truck, but the Ford is under warranty for the next 6 years ;D ;D

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 11:37:54 PM »
GF & Gang,

My wife's car is a late 2017 and still under warranty... it goes to the dealership for all service.

My 2003 Tacoma and the girls 2003 Highlander get most routine services here at home by me.  Small repairs too.  Emergent repairs get handled on the fly by me when and where necessary; and yes, I've had to travel 3 hours away to do repairs on the girls Highlander in parking lots and driveways.  I always have the option of taking these Toyotas to an independent shop here in Belton.  They're good and reasonable.

I stock fluids, filters, some belts, all bulbs, and all fuses.  Next 30k service on the two Toyotas, I'm replacing the air filters with K&N lifetime filters.  On my last Toyota pickup I used a K&N filter and found it only needed to be serviced about once a year, regardless of mileage.  And, it lasted until I retired it at 350k miles.  Good product.  I also use a local tire shop for tire repairs and replacements.  Last but not least, I use a local alternator/starter shop for rebuild work when one of these items fail.  I'm pretty sure that when the owner of this shop dies or become seriously ill, this shop will go under and never be reopened.  Man, I hate to think about this possibility.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. 
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 07:48:51 AM »
While I am a joe-homeowner, I do all my own stuff ('cept alignments).

Tune ups
Paint-body
Undercar
Tires (yes, I have a machine)
Electrical (with support of scan tools and DVOM)

86 Ford F350
07 Ford Focus
09 Toyota Matrix
Post 2000 Harleys
Scads of non-daily drivers - circa 1950's -1960's

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
OnS,

You bring up a good point (i.e. scan tool).  I guess since everything in my fleet requires one I'm going to have to invest in one.  I'll be looking for something simple, intuitive, and reasonably cheep.

Any suggestions?
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 04:54:18 PM »
I have an Equus I've been quite happy with but GF mentions an Autel he recently purchased that sounds like a really piece and certainly worth looking at. The Equus is at the point I'm starting to think about replacing and had looking at the Autel as a starting point.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2019, 05:28:20 PM »
JAFE,

Thanks, good suggestions...

I've started looking, but have no frame of reference as to what I'm looking at.  I'll keep searching and reading about scanners in my price range (i.e. Max=$200, but would like to stay below that if possible).

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 05:54:38 PM »
JAFE,

Thanks, good suggestions...

I've started looking, but have no frame of reference as to what I'm looking at.  I'll keep searching and reading about scanners in my price range (i.e. Max=$200, but would like to stay below that if possible).
It appears the biggest difference in pricing comes about when you add ABS and air bag info.  Having used an OEM system I am quite spoiled but now the ability to diagnose a wheel speed sensor problem from an ABS light is helpful.  I have also repaired a number of air bag lights that were no more than a loose or unattached connector under a seat full of trash.  A good scan tool will guide you to the area of concern.

It all depends on what you want to read.  A code reader will point you to the cause of a CEL while one that see the O2 sensors will help with the diagnostic.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 07:48:35 PM »
Stokester,

Thank you for that helpful advise.   

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »
Stokester,

Thank you for that helpful advise.
Of course if price is no object the latest from Snap-On will nearly replicate the OEM tools and you can check the door window switches to fuel rail pressures.

For most of us home maintainers a scan tool that has monitoring of some modules e.g. ABS, and the ability to see live data such as O2 sensors, misfire data and fuel trim levels is enough.  Generally the more you spend the more features you have.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 08:16:18 AM »
Gary, you mentioned the girls, how are they doing?  How far along are they in school?

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 09:23:28 PM »
fats,

Thanks for asking about the girls.  They are in their 4th year now and doing well.  They live about 3 hours west of us where it gets much colder than where we live.

Their old Highlander is really getting up their in age & mileage.  I put a new set of tires on, checked all the fluids & bulbs, and got it safety inspected while they were home for Christmas.  Sometimes I wish I had "GF" on retainer to keep this beast rolling.

Offline walrus

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 02:55:46 AM »
I keep oil and filters in stock. I hate shopping at Walmart but have best prices on Mobil 1 so when I go I stock up. 5-30 for GM and 0-20 for both Toyotas. Napa Filters. I'll do Brakes but after that not much else. My 95 GMC 3500 HD, 6.5 liter diesel is mine to maintain as no one knows diddly squat about a 6.5 diesel. I changed the engine in it years ago and it runs great. I did have someone else change king pins as I needed Maine inspection sticker. My Mustang is the easiest vehicle in fleet to work on. 67 Fords aren't very complicated  ;D I put a Pertronix in to replace points so don't even have to screw with them. Also don't drive it much so..... Now if I had GF to do body work on it I'd be stylin'

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 07:39:29 AM »
fats,

Thanks for asking about the girls.  They are in their 4th year now and doing well.  They live about 3 hours west of us where it gets much colder than where we live.

Their old Highlander is really getting up their in age & mileage.  I put a new set of tires on, checked all the fluids & bulbs, and got it safety inspected while they were home for Christmas.  Sometimes I wish I had "GF" on retainer to keep this beast rolling.

4th year :-\    I was figuring 2 or 3.  Seems like just yesterday you were taking them there for the first time and scoping out a shop for repairs you couldn't get to.   Glad they are doing well.  Is this their last year?