Author Topic: How many of you folks maintain your "Daily Drivers"?  (Read 12336 times)

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
Re: How many of you folks maintain your "Daily Drivers"?
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2019, 05:28:20 PM »
JAFE,

Thanks, good suggestions...

I've started looking, but have no frame of reference as to what I'm looking at.  I'll keep searching and reading about scanners in my price range (i.e. Max=$200, but would like to stay below that if possible).
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 05:54:38 PM »
JAFE,

Thanks, good suggestions...

I've started looking, but have no frame of reference as to what I'm looking at.  I'll keep searching and reading about scanners in my price range (i.e. Max=$200, but would like to stay below that if possible).
It appears the biggest difference in pricing comes about when you add ABS and air bag info.  Having used an OEM system I am quite spoiled but now the ability to diagnose a wheel speed sensor problem from an ABS light is helpful.  I have also repaired a number of air bag lights that were no more than a loose or unattached connector under a seat full of trash.  A good scan tool will guide you to the area of concern.

It all depends on what you want to read.  A code reader will point you to the cause of a CEL while one that see the O2 sensors will help with the diagnostic.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 07:48:35 PM »
Stokester,

Thank you for that helpful advise.   
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »
Stokester,

Thank you for that helpful advise.
Of course if price is no object the latest from Snap-On will nearly replicate the OEM tools and you can check the door window switches to fuel rail pressures.

For most of us home maintainers a scan tool that has monitoring of some modules e.g. ABS, and the ability to see live data such as O2 sensors, misfire data and fuel trim levels is enough.  Generally the more you spend the more features you have.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 08:16:18 AM »
Gary, you mentioned the girls, how are they doing?  How far along are they in school?

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 09:23:28 PM »
fats,

Thanks for asking about the girls.  They are in their 4th year now and doing well.  They live about 3 hours west of us where it gets much colder than where we live.

Their old Highlander is really getting up their in age & mileage.  I put a new set of tires on, checked all the fluids & bulbs, and got it safety inspected while they were home for Christmas.  Sometimes I wish I had "GF" on retainer to keep this beast rolling.

Offline walrus

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 02:55:46 AM »
I keep oil and filters in stock. I hate shopping at Walmart but have best prices on Mobil 1 so when I go I stock up. 5-30 for GM and 0-20 for both Toyotas. Napa Filters. I'll do Brakes but after that not much else. My 95 GMC 3500 HD, 6.5 liter diesel is mine to maintain as no one knows diddly squat about a 6.5 diesel. I changed the engine in it years ago and it runs great. I did have someone else change king pins as I needed Maine inspection sticker. My Mustang is the easiest vehicle in fleet to work on. 67 Fords aren't very complicated  ;D I put a Pertronix in to replace points so don't even have to screw with them. Also don't drive it much so..... Now if I had GF to do body work on it I'd be stylin'

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 07:39:29 AM »
fats,

Thanks for asking about the girls.  They are in their 4th year now and doing well.  They live about 3 hours west of us where it gets much colder than where we live.

Their old Highlander is really getting up their in age & mileage.  I put a new set of tires on, checked all the fluids & bulbs, and got it safety inspected while they were home for Christmas.  Sometimes I wish I had "GF" on retainer to keep this beast rolling.

4th year :-\    I was figuring 2 or 3.  Seems like just yesterday you were taking them there for the first time and scoping out a shop for repairs you couldn't get to.   Glad they are doing well.  Is this their last year?