Author Topic: 2x4's  (Read 5029 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

2x4's
« on: January 11, 2019, 06:02:42 PM »
I've never needed 2x4's for anything where the dimensions really mattered , but with the work bench I'm planning it matters so I figured I'd call around and see what's available.
Apparently they only make 1.5 x 3.5, because home Depot Lowe's Meeks and the local lumber yard all told me their number is 1.5 x 2.5.

I never did very well with math , but I think I've figured out that I need to add 1" to everything to compensate so I hope I'm right.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: 2x4's
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 06:14:15 PM »
In general take 1/2 off the listed dimensions unless it's 1" then actual is 3/4. Unless it's sheet goods...

The chart should be a good starting point.

Oh, and length is is not actual either on dimensional limber.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:45:06 PM »
In general take 1/2 off the listed dimensions unless it's 1" then actual is 3/4. Unless it's sheet goods...

The chart should be a good starting point.

Oh, and length is is not actual either on dimensional limber.
As far as length goes I planned on getting a few extra 2x4 anyways, but that is if I don't have them cut them for me I suppose.
Thanks for the chart.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »
That is a very handy chart the alien posted. Rough lumber is actual dimensions but is as the name implies very rough. Years ago the lumber pretty much came out of the mills rough sawn. If you ever see the framing on an old house it will be rough lumber. Nowadays if you want true dimension rough lumber you have to order it. You will quickly learn to deal with dimensional lumber which can also be called S4S.

Offline Lance

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 07:49:40 PM »
Dimension is only part of the game in 2019.

I'm pretty sure there are now 2 grades of 2x4; Worth hauling home and Leave it on the pile.
I have no idea what "white wood" is but it sure is light weight and about worthless.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 07:57:59 PM »

I'm pretty sure there are now 2 grades of 2x4; Worth hauling home and Leave it on the pile.
I have no idea what "white wood" is but it sure is light weight and about worthless.

Are you talking about the kiln dried studs? Some people prefer those as they will generally stay straight and paint easily.
Green Douglas Fir can warp as it dries.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 08:17:23 PM »

There are several grades rangeing from knotted up garbage all the way up to near perfect. Your "white wood" is probably a different species than what you're used to.

https://www.southernpine.com/grade-descriptions/

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 09:29:01 PM »
Nominal lumber can be a real PITA when it comes to remodeling older homes That used actual 2x4 lumber.

#2 SYP or fir will be more than adequate for a workbench. Good luck getting straight lumber at the big boxes. Don't sweat find 10 straight boards. The legs are only 30ish inches, find a couple that have straight section to be cut off for legs. Keep what few long straights for the top supports. If you have to have premium lumber find a builders lumber yard and be prepared to pay premium prices.

I've got 2, 20ft 4X6 on order. They have to be straight so I ordered from a builders yard. $100/per. Well worth it for this project.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:55 PM »
I went out to the shop and checked a white wood kiln dried stud in my stock. It is stamped Hem Fir on the grade stamp and is also known as White Fir. Grade stamps contain lots of info about the piece of wood such as species, dryness%, mill number and company. Douglas Fir and Hemlock Fir are both suitable for framing with differences in applications according to design requirements. Either one will work fine for a workbench.

Here is a link to the Western Wood Products Assn. which has some good info. Most of the mills we bought wood from used graders certified by them.

https://www.wwpa.org/western-lumber/interpreting-grade-stamps

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 10:26:00 PM »
My parent's house built in the late 50s had true 2x4s, 2x6s, and 4x4xs, and it was often difficult to remodel due to the change in dimensional lumber specs. I still have a few of the old original 2x4s in one of my workbenches. It was very deep grain quality pine --

Offline Papaw

• Old Wrench Freak
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 10:43:14 PM »
Our old house was built out of used lumber from jobs my carpenter father collected over many years. We have 3 different dimensions of 2x4s along with rough cut floor joists and joists.

My father was picky about what he would buy at the lumberyard and was likely to move 10 boards to get one or two that met his standards.

He would cry if he saw what the box stores try to sell these days!
Owner and Administrator of Tool Talk

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 12:13:20 AM »
My house is true dimensional lumber. I have to go to the premium yard here in town to get what I need. Fortunately, there are a lot of older homes here so they are up on what is needed.

Now, rewiring or plumbing anything is a pain the rear as you cannot get anything in a big box store for it.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 12:34:20 AM »
Buying good lumber is hard anymore.

There's a lumber yard near here that supposedly sells better grades of wood. The owner prowls the floor and if you are picking through he will tell you you take it from the top no picking. I don't know how he manages to sell a stick I won't even go in there anymore - last time I left a cart full for him to put away. And I have seen others leave for the same reason.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 05:51:33 PM »
H&S,

I'm going to make two suggestions.

I found good sticks and sheets at building sites.  They usually have a fenced in bin where they throw their waste and scraps.  I got quite a bit good fresh wood and PVC pipe scraps at these sites.  Just look for new homes and commercial buildings, talk to the manager and worker bees and get their permission to pick thru their waste and salvage what you can use.  This takes time and many outings... but the price is right.

I've also found it useful to check demolition sites, especially really old buildings.  Check with the owner or demolition crew and ask if you can have some of this old lumber.  You may also want to consider purchasing this wood if they will not let you have it for free. This is really seasoned wood and the dimensions of this wood will surprise and please you.  You may end up with odd lengths, but if they are long enough you can re-saw them, remove nails from them, scrape cement off of them etc.

I used the 1st method to get quite a bit of dimensional sticks for two of my benches.  Of course I had to supplement what I had with sheets stocks from the builders supply as well as hardware supplies.  But, you can save a lot of money by being a good scrounge and bargainer.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline highland512

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 07:32:33 AM »
As other have said, dont go to the big box stores for lumber. Its a waste of time and money. Use your google to find a local lumber yard where they actually stock lumber worth buying. I swear that these big box stores sell the crap everyone else rejects. Nothing like trying to build something with a 2x that looks like a question mark.