Author Topic: Watch out for cheap Amazon and eBay parts --  (Read 279 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Watch out for cheap Amazon and eBay parts --
« on: March 11, 2024, 03:41:37 PM »
Did the front brakes on Mrs. GF's Chevy Traverse this morning and went to the local NAPA to pick up some quality pads and hardware. When going to NAPA and other local places I always get the premium pads because I know that at least basic QC standards were followed. While there I overheard a discussion about the counterfeit parts problem when it comes to cheap online outlets. Apparently it's gotten much worse in the last year.

I mention this because the same "Ceramic" pads for our Traverse could have been purchased on Amazon and eBay at a much lower price. Unfortunately many folks get their replacement parts from those places (you can include Walmart online in this as well). Buying from these places is a crap shoot. So many cheap forgeries and downright defective parts are being sold on these websites and it's becoming a real problem. Even mainstream automotive giants like NAPA are concerned about the issue.

For example buying NKG spark plugs on eBay and Amazon often yields a price far below even Rock Auto or any other national parts chain. Many of these plugs are cheap Chinese counterfeits and not even close in performance to the original.

One of the biggest rip-offs are sub-par timing chains and cam phaser kits. You can pretty much bet that if they're sold on Amazon, Walmart online, or eBay the stuff will most likely be junk -- and in many cases so will your engine if you use these kits.

Buyer beware -- youTube is filled with people that tried to save a few $$, and wound up with low quality or downright dangerous auto parts.

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Watch out for cheap Amazon and eBay parts --
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2024, 04:14:58 PM »
I don't shop on Scamazon, but have been burned before parts bought on ebay.
Always lookin' to learn

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 05:53:09 PM »
Absolutely!

There are so many counterfeit parts out there and it is hard to tell the difference.  I always get my NGK plugs from the local auto store and most auto parts from RockAuto and motorcycle parts from BMW or from well-known aftermarket sellers.  I first ran into this when replacing the hub bearings on my daughter's Saturn.  I wanted either AC Delco or SKF and while reading info on them I found out that SKF has a real problem with counterfeits in the supply chain.

SKF counterfeit check -> https://www.skf.com/us/organisation/brand-protection/authenticate-app
NGK counterfeit check -> https://www.ngkntk.com/newsroom/blog/emea/fake-or-not/

I am always amazed how many folks get fooled by the false economy of buying the cheapest parts out there.  One of the vintage motorcycle sites I frequent has folks figuring out hacks for brake master cylinders and fuel pumps for motorcycles that are 25 years old because of the cost of genuine BMW or reproductions from reputable aftermarket sellers.  Taking a chance on brakes or fuel supply?  :32:

caveat emptor
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 07:05:16 PM »
Both amazon and ebay should be accountable for offering fake crap.
That would soon stop then.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 07:27:07 PM »
I've noticed some of the food items I get from Amazon are old and near expired. Like some spices. Never thought spices could go bad (being dried powder and all) but some I have gotten are tasteless an clumpy.
And I never buy big ticket items from the big A. If I might need a warranty, it's local purchase only. Not that that alone guarantees everything. Books, DVD's, project stuff, etc. is OK from Amazon. Though I did buy a refurbed DVD player from them and it was fine.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 09:22:36 PM »
I always check who the seller is on Amazon. Then go check the seller for a web presence. No web presence no purchase. This has worked pretty well for me, so far.

I get pretty aggravated that the local parts house dont have much in inventory anymore. They'll have 5 sparkplugs in stock but can have the other 3 here tomorrow. Well I can have all 8 of them delivered to my door and not pay the parts house markup.  :021:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 10:12:09 PM »
I know they now have the Ebay motors thing that's supposed to be guaranteed fit if there's a check mark or something, but I don't know if they're guaranteeing the quality of the parts.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2024, 06:24:46 AM »
I know they now have the Ebay motors thing that's supposed to be guaranteed fit if there's a check mark or something, but I don't know if they're guaranteeing the quality of the parts.

They don't -- fit is guaranteed, but it could be any cheap knockoff sold as a quality part.

YouTube is filled with folks that bought these Chinesium parts and afterward had major issues with their vehicles. In many cases the "new" parts did more harm that good.

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2024, 03:31:49 PM »
Even NAPA is not immune to the problem. The one nearest me seems to have a lot. I have had pretty good success with rockauto I try to find mid tier stuff. But some parts you just can't find good decent quality anymore. I have one car that uses points and finding good ones and a good condenser is a challenge even when buying the same brand.

Even worse it's not just auto parts. Commercial aviation has seen plenty of counterfeit/untested/unapproved parts sneaking into the supply chain.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2024, 04:55:06 PM »
My current battle with an eBay seller is a top end for the Husq chainsaw. Shopped around, found one with compression release for starting (OE didnt have one), and while letting it sit on the shelf for a few months, I got around to working on it. I was stopped cold because the piston is a 2 groove piston, and I got 1 piston ring.

Argh! Emails back and forth with the (probably) non-English speaking seller. Frustrating to say the least. Check your stuff WHEN you get it, and don't let it sit on the project shelf too long.

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2024, 07:08:01 PM »
We are seeing this in the forklift industry as well. Parts are often made just slightly different, completely wrong or inferiorly made.

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

Offline highland512

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 06:57:43 AM »
I just stick with rockauto as much as possible. I plan my service (or at least try to) on vehicles and order ahead using mostly motorcraft parts. When it comes to brakes or ignition parts they are hard to beat, I also like that they show you the OE for most motorcraft parts which saves a lot of $$. 

Changed out coil pack on the wife's ecoboost last year. Buying the OE Denso packs instead of the Motorcrafts saved nearly $17 each. The FoMoCo name and part numbers had clearly etched off the top of the packs as well. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 04:18:41 PM »
Yup, same here!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!