Author Topic: My version of the No-Drain ballcock remover tool  (Read 9193 times)

Offline bonneyman

My version of the No-Drain ballcock remover tool
« on: January 19, 2019, 03:53:24 PM »
Saw this tool on ebay. Since I do change out the fill valves regularly in my house due to heavy use and hard water thought it would be a good thing to have. Saves you from having to totally drain the toilet tank. Neat idea.
Figured I could make a facsimile out of ABS pipe and fittings that would do the job. The $18 cost of the real thing isn't bad, but I thought a plastic one would be lighter and have a much less chance of chipping floor tile if dropped (or cracking the toilet if banged).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plumbing-Tool-No-Drain-Ballcock-Changing-Tool/113569327974?hash=item1a71426b66:g:7asAAOSwSypY~lca:rk:1:pf:0

I will keep you guys up to date on the fab job. Here are the parts and supplies so far.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:26:36 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: My version of the No-Drain ballcock remover tool
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 05:25:03 PM »
OK we got started today. Judging from the ebay photo and what I find comfortable to hold I settled on the main tube needing to be about 6 1/2". Here are the pieces laid out in their approximate position and then test fitted together. Since I have pieces needed to be glued internally I can't attach these fittings just yet.
The straight coupling on the tail end needs an insert with a 1 1/8" hex shaped hole cut in it so it it can fit over the fill valve bottom nut for removal/installation. Need to glue up three 1/8" sections of ABS sheet and then round it down to slide into the coupling. Being it has an internal gusset for stopping the pipe ends I decided to use it as a shelf to hold my insert. So that required cutting on end of th coupling down and finishing it off level at the right depth.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 03:11:42 PM »
OK finally made time to get this tool finished.

I ground down a small piece of ABS sheet and glued it in the middle of the pipe. Then, I glued 4 sheets together to form a blank about 3/8 to 1/2" thick. Once dried, I dremeled it into a circle, made a 3/4" hex hole in it, and tested it for fit with a fill valve nut.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 03:12:43 PM »
I then glued the nut assembly onto one end of the tube, and the reducer fitting onto the other end.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 03:15:18 PM »
Final step: cut a small groove circumferentailly around the bottom of the bowl gasket, and press fit it onto the reducer fitting. I'm still debating glueing it on. Might seal better but would be a bear to swap out when it wears. We'll see.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 03:17:53 PM »
With as much fine work as this thing needed, I think I'll make a carrying container for it so it doesn't get damaged banging around with other plumbing tools.
I have this cardboard tube that I got from the hardware store job. The window screening material comes on 5 foot long rolls, and when gone this HD tube is left. Grabbed a couple as I thought they'd prove useful. Should make a good protector sleeve for the tool.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 04:06:20 PM »
Carpet rolls too. I got all I could carry from a carpet store for the asking.

So how does this work? I am intrigued.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 04:25:34 PM »
Nice job on that B-man. The link in the first post has instructions on how to use it with diagrams.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 05:19:09 PM »
I have not needed to use it yet. But I KNOW modern plastic plumbing devices - sooner or later one of the valve in our two bathrooms is gonna fail. And now I have the tool to swap it out in probably half the time without losing a tankful of water. In the desert every drop counts! Worst comes to worse Steve it might leak a little, but I think it'll be just fine.

And you're right, nutz, once I read the instructions I knew I could fab something to do the job. Not stealing anything away from the original company - an aluminum tool for $18 is a great value. But like the nut grabber and carb adjustment tool I just like making my own stuff.

If anyone is interested I can post a parts list.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:21:46 PM by bonneyman »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 06:36:58 PM »
I'm having trouble trying t get my mind around this one. What am I missing?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 07:36:49 PM »
I'm having trouble trying t get my mind around this one. What am I missing?

Normally when you replace a fill valve you have to turn off the water supply to the toilet, flush out as much as you can, then suction or sponge out any remaining water. Because when you pull the fill valve out from the toilet tank any water still in there will flood out the hole. I've kept several towels handy, etc. to deal with this.
The tool lets you take the retaining nut off the fill valve, then flip it over and push the larger rubber end up against the bottom of the tank. With your other hand you pull out the fill valve - and having the new valve close by, re-install it. Water flowing out during the swap is caught by the hollow tube of the tool. Then once you have the new valve in place, you dump the water in the tool back into the tank.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 01:52:11 PM by bonneyman »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 08:27:36 PM »
OK, got it now. I kept thinking it went inside the tank for some reason.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 02:22:15 PM »
More for my sake, here's the parts list:
6 1/2" of ABS pipe
one 2" x 1 1/2" ABS reducer
one 1 1/2" ABS coupling
one LASCO brand Gerber Tank to Bowl gasket # 02-3127
ABS sheet to fab center divider and hex driver insert
ABS glue

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
And wouldn't you know it - the dang tool won't work on my toilet! Seems like those installations that have the water shut off valve directly below the fill valve my full length tool won't fit.  :-[  So, I'll make a "stubby" version - one without the hex nut end.

Oh well, part of the design process I guess.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:29:38 AM by bonneyman »

Offline Barks

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 09:11:00 AM »
Having just changed out a valve after soaking up maybe a half cup of water in the tank with a rag, this tool looks to be a solution looking for a problem.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 09:31:57 AM »
Yeah, I used rags and sponges before I started using a turkey baster. This saves me a tankful of water, some time, and the mess of rags.
But if your tank style gets everything but a cup out of the reservoir, than shoot I'd keep doing it the way you've been.