Author Topic: Boot repair / modification.  (Read 13049 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Boot repair / modification.
« on: January 20, 2019, 03:05:30 PM »
Ok so here's the situation , now that I'm working boots are important and the Walmart cheapies aren't cutting it in the comfort department.
In my mind if I'm going to upgrade I want to do it right with an American made boot that will last, the problem with this which leads me to my questions is that I'm required to have a black upper + sole for my footwear and they must be oil and slip resistant, for such an American made traditional leather boot I could find nothing under $200 which just isn't in my budget.

This got me thinking about a possible conversion, years ago my dad gave me his last ARMY issued pair of combat boots that I often wear doing yardwork and stuff.
They're definitely a quality upper, and I figure they'd make a decent work boot if I get them resoled.
Possibly if the resole isn't too expensive having them shortened to a standard 6" or so height.

Do you guys think this would be worth it ?
Is a work boot too different than a combat boot for this to be a good idea ?
I don't have a clue what the general ballpark cost of is, but I'm assuming it's gotta be a lot  less than a new pair of boots.
I'll be calling a shoe repair shop tomorrow to get an estimate.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:07:12 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Boot repair / modification.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 03:16:07 PM »
Buy some quality US made boots and forget about it .... Redwing, Thorogood, Chippewa come to mind. Don't skimp on your feet -- 30 years from now you'll thank yourself for buying quality footwear.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 03:39:19 PM »
Buy some quality US made boots and forget about it .... Redwing, Thorogood, Chippewa come to mind. Don't skimp on your feet -- 30 years from now you'll thank yourself for buying quality footwear.
I'm finding it harder and harder to find a good pair under $200. Yeah that $60 pair might work good for about 6 months but then they'll start making your feet sore and falling apart. It's a shame quality footwear is so expensive anymore.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 04:08:29 PM »
I've looked and I would pay $180 , but none of them in this price range are available with a black sole and upper.

This is why I wanted to possibly have these old RO Search combat boots into a pair of work boots.
They're a well made leather upper, just not a suitable sole.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 04:22:54 PM »
I found the Dr. Martens, although low-quarters, with a new insole met my requirements while working in the auto shop.  They were in the ~$100 price range, steel-toed and non-slip.  Good shoes.

Bought them at shoes.com.

Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 04:42:03 PM »
I've been wearing Thorogoods lately. IIRC I paid @$160ish. The only problem is they are internet only. There are lots of places that sell them but nobody stocks very much around here. It took me several pairs to get my size correct but they are damn nice boots. and USA made ;D

http://www.midwestboots.com/midwestboots.html?matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&keyword=midwest%20boots&campaign=776095809&adgroup=49155159308&matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&adposition=1t1&keyword=midwest%20boots&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzoGm8bb93wIVjYTICh1Y5gaGEAAYASAAEgLfyfD_BwE

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 05:04:55 PM »
I've been wearing Thorogoods lately. IIRC I paid @$160ish. The only problem is they are internet only. There are lots of places that sell them but nobody stocks very much around here. It took me several pairs to get my size correct but they are damn nice boots. and USA made ;D

http://www.midwestboots.com/midwestboots.html?matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&keyword=midwest%20boots&campaign=776095809&adgroup=49155159308&matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&adposition=1t1&keyword=midwest%20boots&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzoGm8bb93wIVjYTICh1Y5gaGEAAYASAAEgLfyfD_BwE

Are they bad to the bone?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 05:26:35 PM »

Are they bad to the bone?

since the day they was born. ;D

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 06:08:31 PM »
Duluth Trading Company offers these contractor grade boots that I've had for years and they last and stand up to work conditions. Don't know what a black upper is but these are tough, comfortable when broken in, Vibram-soled and slip resistant. And can be re-soled!
Just looked at the price, though, and they seem to have jumped quite a bit from what I remember (then it was $140 a pair)

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-8-contractors-moc-toe-boots-97786.html?cgid=mens-footwear#start=65&cgid=mens-footwear

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 06:17:09 PM »
I didn't see anything in my budget that I can wear, the fact that they have to be all black is really throwing a wrench in the gears.
If they didn't then I'd have bought something already.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 06:22:01 PM »
Duluth Trading Company offers these contractor grade boots that I've had for years and they last and stand up to work conditions. Don't know what a black upper is but these are tough, comfortable when broken in, Vibram-soled and slip resistant. And can be re-soled!
Just looked at the price, though, and they seem to have jumped quite a bit from what I remember (then it was $140 a pair)

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-8-contractors-moc-toe-boots-97786.html?cgid=mens-footwear#start=65&cgid=mens-footwear
I'm required footwear that's basically 100% black, and I want a boot because I wore a regular sneaker type the first couple days and my feet got wet from splashing water.
The upper is basically the the boot itself minus the sole.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 06:39:32 PM »
Thorogood.
no more conversation necessary.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 07:00:11 PM »
all black is really throwing a wrench in the gears.

Yeah that's really gonna limit your choices with work boots. You could try looking for police boots. Should be plenty of choices there and I'm guessing at least some of them are decent quality.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 07:11:56 PM »
If you're willing to go import, these things are getting some good online reviews ... Probably made in China or Vietnam, but all leather.

https://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-Mens-Second-Shift-Steel/dp/B007VMK0PA?SubscriptionId=AKIAJXH2EIV36T62M4EQ&tag=mountainbikeg-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B007VMK0PA

Offline jabberwoki

Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?