Author Topic: Boot repair / modification.  (Read 13500 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Boot repair / modification.
« on: January 20, 2019, 03:05:30 PM »
Ok so here's the situation , now that I'm working boots are important and the Walmart cheapies aren't cutting it in the comfort department.
In my mind if I'm going to upgrade I want to do it right with an American made boot that will last, the problem with this which leads me to my questions is that I'm required to have a black upper + sole for my footwear and they must be oil and slip resistant, for such an American made traditional leather boot I could find nothing under $200 which just isn't in my budget.

This got me thinking about a possible conversion, years ago my dad gave me his last ARMY issued pair of combat boots that I often wear doing yardwork and stuff.
They're definitely a quality upper, and I figure they'd make a decent work boot if I get them resoled.
Possibly if the resole isn't too expensive having them shortened to a standard 6" or so height.

Do you guys think this would be worth it ?
Is a work boot too different than a combat boot for this to be a good idea ?
I don't have a clue what the general ballpark cost of is, but I'm assuming it's gotta be a lot  less than a new pair of boots.
I'll be calling a shoe repair shop tomorrow to get an estimate.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 03:07:12 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Boot repair / modification.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 03:16:07 PM »
Buy some quality US made boots and forget about it .... Redwing, Thorogood, Chippewa come to mind. Don't skimp on your feet -- 30 years from now you'll thank yourself for buying quality footwear.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 03:39:19 PM »
Buy some quality US made boots and forget about it .... Redwing, Thorogood, Chippewa come to mind. Don't skimp on your feet -- 30 years from now you'll thank yourself for buying quality footwear.
I'm finding it harder and harder to find a good pair under $200. Yeah that $60 pair might work good for about 6 months but then they'll start making your feet sore and falling apart. It's a shame quality footwear is so expensive anymore.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 04:08:29 PM »
I've looked and I would pay $180 , but none of them in this price range are available with a black sole and upper.

This is why I wanted to possibly have these old RO Search combat boots into a pair of work boots.
They're a well made leather upper, just not a suitable sole.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 04:22:54 PM »
I found the Dr. Martens, although low-quarters, with a new insole met my requirements while working in the auto shop.  They were in the ~$100 price range, steel-toed and non-slip.  Good shoes.

Bought them at shoes.com.

Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 04:42:03 PM »
I've been wearing Thorogoods lately. IIRC I paid @$160ish. The only problem is they are internet only. There are lots of places that sell them but nobody stocks very much around here. It took me several pairs to get my size correct but they are damn nice boots. and USA made ;D

http://www.midwestboots.com/midwestboots.html?matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&keyword=midwest%20boots&campaign=776095809&adgroup=49155159308&matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&adposition=1t1&keyword=midwest%20boots&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzoGm8bb93wIVjYTICh1Y5gaGEAAYASAAEgLfyfD_BwE

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 05:04:55 PM »
I've been wearing Thorogoods lately. IIRC I paid @$160ish. The only problem is they are internet only. There are lots of places that sell them but nobody stocks very much around here. It took me several pairs to get my size correct but they are damn nice boots. and USA made ;D

http://www.midwestboots.com/midwestboots.html?matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&keyword=midwest%20boots&campaign=776095809&adgroup=49155159308&matchtype=e&network=g&device=c&adposition=1t1&keyword=midwest%20boots&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzoGm8bb93wIVjYTICh1Y5gaGEAAYASAAEgLfyfD_BwE

Are they bad to the bone?

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 05:26:35 PM »

Are they bad to the bone?

since the day they was born. ;D

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 06:08:31 PM »
Duluth Trading Company offers these contractor grade boots that I've had for years and they last and stand up to work conditions. Don't know what a black upper is but these are tough, comfortable when broken in, Vibram-soled and slip resistant. And can be re-soled!
Just looked at the price, though, and they seem to have jumped quite a bit from what I remember (then it was $140 a pair)

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-8-contractors-moc-toe-boots-97786.html?cgid=mens-footwear#start=65&cgid=mens-footwear

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 06:17:09 PM »
I didn't see anything in my budget that I can wear, the fact that they have to be all black is really throwing a wrench in the gears.
If they didn't then I'd have bought something already.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 06:22:01 PM »
Duluth Trading Company offers these contractor grade boots that I've had for years and they last and stand up to work conditions. Don't know what a black upper is but these are tough, comfortable when broken in, Vibram-soled and slip resistant. And can be re-soled!
Just looked at the price, though, and they seem to have jumped quite a bit from what I remember (then it was $140 a pair)

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-8-contractors-moc-toe-boots-97786.html?cgid=mens-footwear#start=65&cgid=mens-footwear
I'm required footwear that's basically 100% black, and I want a boot because I wore a regular sneaker type the first couple days and my feet got wet from splashing water.
The upper is basically the the boot itself minus the sole.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 06:39:32 PM »
Thorogood.
no more conversation necessary.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 07:00:11 PM »
all black is really throwing a wrench in the gears.

Yeah that's really gonna limit your choices with work boots. You could try looking for police boots. Should be plenty of choices there and I'm guessing at least some of them are decent quality.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 07:11:56 PM »
If you're willing to go import, these things are getting some good online reviews ... Probably made in China or Vietnam, but all leather.

https://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-Mens-Second-Shift-Steel/dp/B007VMK0PA?SubscriptionId=AKIAJXH2EIV36T62M4EQ&tag=mountainbikeg-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B007VMK0PA

Offline jabberwoki

Offline jabberwoki

Offline jabberwoki

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »
Should have just posted this... Dooh, sorry.
http://www.midwestboots.com/midwestboots.html?page=2#/filter:brand:Thorogood/filter:usa:Made$2520In$2520U.S.A./filter:type:Boots

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 08:46:46 PM »
I guess I'm just being too picky.
What I want is a traditional style straight leather boot ( not leather over a padded tennis shoe type material ) .
The only options for me do not have an all black sole, a couple thorogoods came close but have a layer of non black material between the upper and sole.

I'm only working weekends anyways and I'm not sure it would be wise to spend one whole paycheck on a pair of boots ( I'd do it for  "THE " boot if I found it ).

I will call the shoe repair shop tomorrow and get an estimate on what I've got in mind.

I am not actually required to wear a boot specifically, but I need the height of a boot to keep my feet wet from splashing water.
I wore a regular work shoe twice when I first started and my feet got wet in no time, from water that splashed up the sides.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 09:28:34 PM »
I think if I can get the toes reformed back out and get them resoled with a set of vibrams they should do the trick, the upper is already supple and broken in and they hug my feet just right.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 10:13:06 PM »
"have a layer of non black material between the upper and sole"

Please explain why this tiny almost insignificant line of another color other than black makes that big a difference?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 10:20:50 PM »
"have a layer of non black material between the upper and sole"

Please explain why this tiny almost insignificant line of another color other than black makes that big a difference?
Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

This would not be considered all black footwear by my boss, but it's about as black as it gets in a US made traditional style boot from what I could find.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 10:24:11 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 10:22:42 PM »
Whether or not your old Army boots can be resoled with Vibram soles might depend upon their construction: midsole, shank, etc.
I would imagine a good cobbler would most likely be the best person to ask instead of random people on the internet.

High-quality leather work boots are available from:
Whites
Limmer
Danner
Wesco

My first pair of Wesco Jobmasters lasted about 20 years. They were resoled a couple times during that period.
The Wesco Jobmasters I have now are about 15 years old and on their second set of soles and heels.
Well worth the investment if you are serious about work boots.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 10:24:22 PM »
the welt around the bottom of the upper on that boot above could be dyed black in a matter of minutes.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 10:42:33 PM »
Whether or not your old Army boots can be resoled with Vibram soles might depend upon their construction: midsole, shank, etc.
I would imagine a good cobbler would most likely be the best person to ask instead of random people on the internet.

High-quality leather work boots are available from:
Whites
Limmer
Danner
Wesco

My first pair of Wesco Jobmasters lasted about 20 years. They were resoled a couple times during that period.
The Wesco Jobmasters I have now are about 15 years old and on their second set of soles and heels.
Well worth the investment if you are serious about work boots.
No doubt, I was just wondering if anyone had a rough idea of what a boot resole can generally cost.

Actually the soles on these are cemented , so they may not be repairable after all.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:46:07 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 11:06:36 PM »
Black permanent marker on the problem stripe and Bob`s your uncle.

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 01:37:19 AM »
Quote from: hickory n Steel
Actually the soles on these are cemented , so they may not be repairable after all.

You'll need to have a qualified shoe repair shop take a look at them to ascertain whether they are repairable.
You do not have your location noted, so I have no idea if you've got any resources available in your area.
Here in Tacoma, there is exactly ONE good shoe repair shop (Alex 253 588 8949). In Seattle the "go to" guy is Dave Page, who does all the repair work for REI locally.
As I recall, the last time Alex resoled my Wescos it was about $60 or $65 dollars.
A couple years prior to that, he resoled my Galibier Super Guides for about the same amount.

I would suggest looking into a high-end boot like a Wesco or White if they're something you're using and working in on a daily basis. The other brands noted thus far in this thread are, respectfully, simply temporary substitutes. Really good boots cost a hell of a lot of money now. I think I paid about $225 for the Wescos and that was about 15 years ago. (And I had to drive clear up to Port Angeles to find a pair of size 13's)

Offline highland512

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 07:46:04 AM »
Thorogood is a great boot, your money ahead to spend more money on boots. Whats cheaper over the course of 3 years (or 6 or more with resole)? One purchase of $200 or four $80 purchases. Poney up and buy good boots.
https://www.thorogoodusa.com/product/804-6266/

A resole cost depends a lot on what shop is doing it. The last pair of work boots I had done cost $60. The last pair of traditional western (leather sole) boots I had done cost $80.

Bottom line is buy good boots, when you make your living on your feet you have to have quality foot ware.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:33:15 AM by highland512 »

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 08:22:32 AM »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2019, 10:46:27 AM »
I'll have to really think about what I'm doing to do, because I only work weekends right now and can't really spend my whole check or more on a pair of boots.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline Plomb-er

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2019, 01:34:53 AM »
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I work for a large safety shoe company in Southern California, have been for 15 years now. I know you want to stay American made, but for what you want out of a boot, you might want to look for a good import boot.
If you are on concrete most of the day look for polyurethane, preferably dual density. The combination of slip resistance and shock absorption will help you.
If you still have more questions, I'll help you out.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2019, 02:27:13 PM »
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I work for a large safety shoe company in Southern California, have been for 15 years now. I know you want to stay American made, but for what you want out of a boot, you might want to look for a good import boot.
If you are on concrete most of the day look for polyurethane, preferably dual density. The combination of slip resistance and shock absorption will help you.
If you still have more questions, I'll help you out.
I actually found just what I want and will be ordering next Monday.

They're a Justin original lace up conductor in pitstop black.
They're US made, they're oil and slip resistant, they have a " double comfort sole ", and they're " only " $179.99 with free shipping.
Of course that's not chump change when I'm only working weekends right now and pull about $175 per check, but I have and likely will work weeks at some point and I believe my feet will thank me.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2019, 06:55:42 PM »
Those justins should be nice boots. I've worn the natural (tan) version for years but the last few pair started hurting my feet. They were very durable and wet proof.

I think my feet have changed. getting old sucks. :(

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2019, 07:34:02 PM »

Not getting old sucks worse.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2019, 07:51:23 PM »
Those justins should be nice boots. I've worn the natural (tan) version for years but the last few pair started hurting my feet. They were very durable and wet proof.

They should be worth the investment.
I think they look nice too, I think the kiltie flap looks kind of cool and I understand it adds protection.

I'll need to get some leather care products, but at least I already have a nice Kellogg boot brush from my dads boot care kit.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:53:03 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2019, 08:18:53 PM »
I need to start looking for another pair of boots mine are chewing on my toes...

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2019, 10:11:47 PM »
I need to start looking for another pair of boots mine are chewing on my toes...

Shod be plenty of options if you don't have any crazy specific requirements for work or anything.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2019, 10:44:05 AM »
i have had those same boots in the tan/brown. i liked them.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2019, 01:14:58 PM »
i have had those same boots in the tan/brown. i liked them.
I keep hearing more and more good things about them.
Always lookin' to learn