Author Topic: We found the leak......  (Read 4878 times)

Offline TR

We found the leak......
« on: January 21, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »
My fellow operator insisted that she dig for the next section of pipe.......no one knew about the waterline!!!

That one shut down the College Mall........

TR

Offline fatfillup

Re: We found the leak......
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 04:03:35 PM »
Not being a smart a$$ but is this a case where Miss Utility should have been called?

And man that is a lot of water

Offline TR

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 04:10:15 PM »
Hey ff.......the property is private owned by Simon properties,most of the time their people have no idea where all the utilities are!!

Makes for exciting digging :o

TR

It took till 2:00 am to fix the line!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 04:19:56 PM »
Hey ff.......the property is private owned by Simon properties,most of the time their people have no idea where all the utilities are!!

Makes for exciting digging :o

TR

It took till 2:00 am to fix the line!

So Miss Utility doesn't need to be called for private property?  Again, not being smart, just curious.  Thankfully it was water and not gas or electric

Offline TR

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 04:25:06 PM »
Well 811 guys can only find what has been located or is on plans........a bunch is done by these big businesses and no one knows

TR

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 04:32:56 PM »
I nearly made a catastrophic mistake whilst digging a trench for the power to the shop.
I`d had the area located but they just did the electrical part?
I was digging towards the road just near the end of the new trench when I heard a clunk.
Thankfully I got out and had a look as I`d scraped the main waterline , a big cast iron pipe.
I near sh.t my self as I looked at the scrape marks on the pipe.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 04:50:17 PM »
We had the utilities located before we built the shop. The locator guy said I would have to call the propane company to have that line located. The propane tank is on the north side of the property and we were removing 400cuyds on the east side. First scrape with the loader and we found the propane line not even a foot deep. Turns out the propane tank used to be on the east side and it was moved to the north side but the line ran across right where we were building the shop.

Offline TR

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 04:52:10 PM »
I've found all kinds of things in the ground...... :D

Locates are only a "in the area" type guide.

TR

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 04:56:36 PM »
That stuff happens all the time, and yes it’s dangerous. We found a 2 inch high pressure gas line a couple months ago that the city didn’t have recorded. Thankfully we didn’t rupture it but , SURPRISE.
Tr is right that private property is a different thing. Sometimes they will locate, sometimes not.

We also dug up a fiber optic line on the same project that fed a hospital and ATT did not send out their locator so we weren’t at fault. Got lucky again they had another feed in for redundancy.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline TR

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 05:01:21 PM »
Hey Heiny......don't you like when they ask " why/ how did you hit it?".......duh cause no one knew it was there!!!!! :D

TR

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 06:48:46 PM »
We got a 12in high pressure gasoline pipeline running thru one of our sites. If the patrol plane even sees our backhoe parked near it we get a call.  :))

When I worked the petrochems we had to hand dig for interference's that was a royal PITA. now they hydro excavate.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 09:19:27 PM »
A little Flex Seal should fix that right up. And it will remain completely dry! :))

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 12:54:59 PM »
Have a customer that hydro excavates.  Local electric company will only use hydro excavation on any job they have.  Keeps my customer busy

Offline Rural53

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »
The worst I've had is in a pulp and paper mill, 11kV power cable with 40mm (1.5") of asphalt over it.

About six months before I started there one of our guys was looking after a drainage job. He had got the excavation permit. They found a cable in the way. The mill IT guys said it was redundant and to cut it. He said "you do it", they did and the whole north end of the site, log yard, chip reclaim, debarker and chipper lost comms. It was a fairly new fibre!!

Offline Elroy

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 06:58:10 PM »
The IT guys said it was redundant

Typical for the IT guys at Elroy's employer as well. Brilliant minds