Author Topic: HF socket trays - I'll admit I like them!  (Read 15338 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
HF socket trays - I'll admit I like them!
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:58:29 PM »
At the risk of getting flamed, I'll go out on a limb and say that these HF trays are a good value. I've moved all of my 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets into the trays and have been very satisfied. Many of my loose 1/4" sockets are in these trays as well, but I choose to keep the complete sets in their OEM boxes.

There are some problems though. Larger impact sockets are usually too large to fit "side by side" into the proper sized slots, but that is a general problem with most of these systems (incl. Hansen). They do take up some real estate in the box, but by removing the end-tabs, they are much easier to arrange and fit closely together.

My main box is the red HF krinkle finish box which I think is a bargain compared to similar options out there. Being an old fashioned type, I keep my chrome sockets under the lid of the top box and my impacts in the large top drawer of the bottom box. My large 1/2" impacts over 1-1/4" size don't fit in any of the HF socket trays. The Hansens are a bit more flexible (but not much) in that regard --

Overall, I like these trays. They are not perfect, but it sure beats the aweful rail and cut-out tray systems that I've had for decades.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: HF socket trays - I'll admit I like them!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 10:41:27 PM »
Nothing wrong with the. I had considered using them for a long time but in the end elected to go with socket rails. They just took up too much space for what the amount of drawer space I have and things like swivels and bit sockets won't fit on them. But I'd snag the HF units long before I'd even think about the Hansons.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 01:08:14 AM »
The Hansons are great if the price is right.
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 07:38:10 AM »
The early HF's often skipped a size here and there.  Don't know if its still true but I know it frustrated folks who bought them.

I use rails myself but I will say the trays, both HF and Hansen sell well for me. 

The problem with Hansens to the OCD crowd is it has sizes both big and small that don't come in most sets and drives them crazy.   I often have folks come in looking for 15mm 1/4 drive sockets and know they are trying to fill the tray ;D   I have told them to just cut off the end of the tray

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 12:20:59 PM »
I am too married to the old fashioned metal trays with bail handles like sets of old used to come in. I like being able to pluck out a set and run when need be. I also like that fact that they allow me to cram more stuff in less space taking advantage of every last square inch of drawer acreage I have.

I will say your sets look very nice and quite useable though. I can have a tougher time nailing down the size I need sometimes doing it my way.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 07:35:51 AM »
I had a Snap on magnetic socket holder tray that holds shallow and deep that was cracked on one side.  I attempted to plastic weld it with a small torch and string trimmer line.  Learned that wasn't the way to do it as I scorched the tray but the weld held and since we were discussing storage yesterday, I decided to put it in service at home.  Put my metric 1/4 set in it.  Was using a SK box for it but couldn't close the lid with shallow and deep in it.  I think I will like it

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 08:43:16 PM »
I've beaten the tar out of my HF impact sockets as a FT mechanic the last 8 years. and they barely look used.

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 06:35:56 PM »
I love my harborfrieght impact sockets... I'm gonna give these a try tommorow I bought a set in metric that's my most used stuff if these turn out to be good thing standard will be next .... Tho the 1/4 will go unused all my 1/4 sockets are part of a sk master set

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 07:09:17 PM »
Those do look nice. And being HF they're probably reasonably priced.

I've used the metal rails for years, kinda burned out on them. Right now all my sockets are in factory boxes that they come in, or restored boxes that'll take em. But I don't make a living with my sockets like you guys, and I don't have dozens of full sets of em either, so, boxes work for me.

Been mulling around a socket holder system of my own design, a mobile system whose working title is the "socket flower". But haven't gotten it past the sketch phase yet.

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 08:11:49 PM »
Well I read the title wrong......and I didn't read all the posts.... I thought it was about HF SOCKETS!

Anyway I also have the HF socket trays at work. Definitely worth the $.

Offline BuckHenry

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 10:02:26 PM »
Well I read the title wrong......and I didn't read all the posts.... I thought it was about HF SOCKETS!

:D
Come on, Muddy! It's a brand new forum. This is a new begining, and you have a great opportunity to step up your game. Don't muck it up right out of the gate. :-[

And whatever you do, DON'T post that pic of you in the Aussie shorts!!!!
 :))

Offline BuckHenry

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 10:08:28 PM »
I'm with J.A.F.E. on the socket trays. I like the idea, but my boxes are just too small for them. I use rails.

Reading this has made wonder what is special about the Hansen trays. What would make them worth the extra money to someone? They are both just plastic trays aren't they?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 06:48:48 AM »
The Hansen trays look and feel better and also seem a bit heavier made.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 08:26:04 PM »
I have a few of the Hanson trays.  They're nice, but I do feel they're wayyy overpriced.     :-\
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 08:58:18 PM »

:D
Come on, Muddy! It's a brand new forum. This is a new begining, and you have a great opportunity to step up your game. Don't muck it up right out of the gate. :-[

And whatever you do, DON'T post that pic of you in the Aussie shorts!!!!
 :))

Oh I won't it broke the last forum!!!!