Author Topic: Tool Boxes - What do you have  (Read 37263 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Tool Boxes - What do you have
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 01:27:04 PM »
I really like that prybar rack. Was that just angle that you drilled holes in then mounted? I like the fact that it holds as many as it does.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline BuckHenry

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2018, 09:26:35 PM »
You have good taste in ratchets SK. 8)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2018, 12:48:10 AM »
Here's one of mine, Snap On KR 637, currently residing on top of a taco box.  I really like these boxes, though for some reason, the 537s and the 637s always had problems with the hinge holding up the lid.
boop/bop/beep

Offline john k

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 02:12:38 PM »
Mine failed too, too flimsy of a support.  I like my box, like the roller slides, but sure wish the drawers were deeper so I could use my wrench racks. 

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2018, 10:42:31 PM »
John, I can barely pick that thing up to move it.  If those drawers were deeper, forget it!    :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline AnsonJ

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2018, 11:20:10 PM »
Toolboxes you say?

I don't have the cool rollaway sets that are mentioned here, the closest I have is the 100 dollar Craftsman cheapo rollaway that I bought new in 1994.  but I have a good selection of hand boxes :)

First up, the Craftsman rollaway mentioned above.  this toolbox holds all of my sockets, pliers, screwdrivers, misc tools and small socket sets/ tool sets including taps and dies.  pretty much general tool box. 

When we moved to Indiana 10 years ago, I had to downsize from a 4 bedroom house and garage to a two bedroom apartment with no garage, so I put the bottom half of the above rollaway into storage and bought this next toolbox to hold all of my wrenches to take up the slack and kept this and the top half as my tool box in the second bedroom of the apartment.  when we bought our house, i put the rollaway back together and rethought my storage setup and kept this box for the wrenches.  SAE in top drawer, metric in middle and stubby (metric and sae) in bottom drawer plus misc storage in the top.

Next, my workmans choice toolbox.  I got this at HS graduation in 1989.   This box has most of my general carpentry tools in it, combination squares, plumb bobs, nail finishing sets, 25' tape measure, chalk line, tbevel etc..  This box is a rather large hand tool box.  about 20" wide.

The next one my Father in Law gave me about 8 years ago.  he had no need for it and asked if I wanted it (yes, duh!)  it is a stackable plastic roll away and each of the three sections latch together to make one unit.  this box is made by Benchtop, and I keep all of my car A/C equipment in that one.  a/c line disconnect tools, manifold gauge set, thermometer, orifice tube puller, a/c system flush kit and a few extra o-rings and other misc parts and tools for a/c repair. 

The next one is a medium sized hand box that I got for Christmas from my Grandpa several years ago.  it is a valvoline racing box, and I keep all of my plumbing tools in there.  faucet wrenches, pipe cutter, plumbers putty and pvc cement, solder and flux paste etc.

The next box is an old craftsman that my Dad gave to me as a young teenager and was one of two that he gave me, and my first real tool box.  he used it for his linesman tools when he worked for the telephone company in the late 60s/ early 70s.  it has on the inside lid a list of cities that he worked in before I was born... I use this box for my electrical stuff.  wire nuts, extra outlets, wire strippers and wire cutters etc.

Next up, the top half of a rollaway box that a coworker found in her shed when she bought her house.  it was rusty, beat to crap and she wanted it out.  I had a friend that had access to sandblasting and powdercoat painting booths repaint the drawers for it and the hardware, I sanded down the main case and spray painted it.  the original color was red all over, but we decided to go black drawers and accents.  I gave the bottom section to my friend, as I was moving to Indiana from IL and really had no place to put it at the time, and the bottom section was in really rough shape.  This was 10 years ago, I think he still has it sitting in his garage untouched.... the drawers were already done tho.. *side note:  can any of you experts identify the company that made it?*  I use this for storing my hammers, tin snips, table and circular saw blades and drill bits, plus one of the drawers is for all of my tool owners manuals and then just miscellaneous stuff.

The next one is a plastic Stack-on that I got last year to store all of my flooring tools in.  (re did the floors downstairs... ceramic tile in the kitchen/ utility room and half bath and laminate in the livingroom/ dining room)  this has all of the tools for both types of flooring, trowels, blocks and spacers etc

The next one I inherited from my Grandpa when he passed away.  This has all of  his body and fender tools in it, slide hammer, dollie sets and finishing hammer sets, pliers etc. all are in new condition.  used them to tap out a ding in my Ranger. 

The next one I inherited from my other Grandpa.  My dad gave him this and all of the tools in it for Christmas before he went into the Army in 1965.  it is largely all Craftsman sockets/ wrenches and pretty much everything you need to work on that era of a car.  all in really good shape.  it has a few other extras than what came with the socket and wrench set.  For the most part, I do not use these tools, as they were Grandpas main tool set and for the most part I have my own corresponding tools with the exception of the ignition wrench set.

got this one for Christmas when I was in High School along with a new Craftsman 3/8" drill that I used this box for.  it also has a Craftsman rotary tool that I bought a year or two later, plus bits for both and jigsaw blades for my jigsaw that I got from my Grandpa.

small 16" stack-on.  used for paint brushes and painting equipment (in addition to a rubbermaid tote for the bigger painting stuff...)

This is the other box that my Dad gave me when I was a teenager it is an HWI box.  he used this as his main toolbox until he got a new Rubbermaid plastic box to replace it. (I also got the same box for Christmas, and that was my favorite box until I broke one of the clasps...) I use this one to store extra bicycle parts in.

This Waterloo box is identical to my Craftsman box for my drill and rotary tool, this was a freebie from a friend.  it has extra car parts and hardware from the last 5 cars that I have owned lol

This one was a Facebook or Craigslist find... Craftsman 3 drawer steel box with crinkle paint.  picked it up for 15 bucks last year, have not decided on what to do with it yet, so it sits empty.  may rethink my storage strategy.

Misc Ammo boxes:

Not pictured: 
large 48" wooden ammo box that I bought for 10 bucks in High School (it is burried in the bottom shelf of one of the workbenches)I keep my large pipe wrenches  and similar size tools in this.
Craftsman plastic toolbox that I use for the Pull -A- Part (currently in the trunk of my car and I am too lazy to go out and get it, but it looks very similar to the three drawer plastic craftsman box that I keep my wrenches in, just no drawers and it has small compartments in the lid.

Anson
"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2018, 11:36:13 PM »
Holey smokes you have almost as many boxes as brslk has shoes.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 12:18:36 AM »
Hey Ansonj, I used to have that same exact Bench top box as a kid.
I first used it to hold all my GI Joe's, then as my toolbox as a teenager, and eventually gave it to my dad who has it in his kitchen with his house tools in it.
The drawers sucked, but the extension cord roll was handy and overall it's actually a good setup.
The idea is nice but the exicution just isn't great or at least it wasn't on mine.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline AnsonJ

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2018, 01:07:02 AM »
hickory, I agree, the drawers on that box are horribly designed as is the tilt out larger portion on the bottom.  but it works great for my a/c tools as i don't have to get into it very often.  i also would be wary of putting anything heavy in it.  the vacuum pump that i have would probably break it lol so it goes in a cabinet

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

"If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!"

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »
I've got some other boxes around, but here's what's in the garage.

This is my main box and was my grandfather's , it's a 1974 dated Waterloo / Dayton electric.

I've got two of these which my grandfather got from a friend who owned a Shell station in the 70's, this was his and has automotive books in it, the other had a quick spray across the front and was my grandmother's. She kept screws , drawer handles, and other various household hardware In it.

This I really just use as a step stool, but it does have a bit of junk in it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 05:53:36 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2018, 06:07:49 PM »
Here are my 2 most recent acquisitions.

Snap-on K-11 Master Handikit, made by Duplex (cantilever). I think this is wartime? Nice original paint under lid.

Kennedy 220R- I think. The p/o of this box said it was given to him in the 70s and it was a factory 2nd, it looks to be original. Lower drawer is lighter red. There isn't a Kennedy sticker in the drawers nor is the script on the lid, but has 2 new looking Kennedy keys. And those aluminum extrusion pulls screams 'Kennedy!'
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:09:27 PM by Davethorik »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2018, 07:56:43 PM »
Here are my 2 most recent acquisitions.

Snap-on K-11 Master Handikit, made by Duplex (cantilever). I think this is wartime? Nice original paint under lid.

Kennedy 220R- I think. The p/o of this box said it was given to him in the 70s and it was a factory 2nd, it looks to be original. Lower drawer is lighter red. There isn't a Kennedy sticker in the drawers nor is the script on the lid, but has 2 new looking Kennedy keys. And those aluminum extrusion pulls screams 'Kennedy!'
Damn, are you sure that Kennedy box didn't leave the factory this morning ?
Awesome scores.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
The Snap-on Handikit is quite a find.

Are you going to use it?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2018, 08:05:59 AM »
The guy that owned the Kennedy had a bunch of high end bicycles in his garage and used the Kennedy to hold parts.

And the Snap-on, well I plan to use it for storage.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2018, 11:13:16 AM »
Good to hear it will be used.