Author Topic: EASYDRIVER ratcheting ball drivers  (Read 12837 times)

Offline bonneyman

EASYDRIVER ratcheting ball drivers
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:52:19 PM »
Used to use regular nutdrivers on cabinet screws, then went to nut runners in a cordless drill, then nut runners and bits in Sears vinyl-ribbed bit driver. Eventually switched to Bonney 1/4" drive Loc-Rite sockets, and made the jump to ratcheting ball drivers. The first one I had was so great, I started grabbing any I could find as I didn't want to ever be without one. They have proven to be nearly bulletproof - so I've got a lifetime of spares!

Here's my current collection, along with a Screwball driver.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:43:14 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: EASYDRIVER ratcheting ball drivers
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »
They also made mini balls! Great for thermostats and small electronics.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
Though made of plastic (LEXAN ball), they are extremely tough and hold up under tough conditions. I've yet to strip one out.

I did take my oldest one - figuring it was nearing the end of its life - and cut it apart to see how it worked. Found out it wasn't really all that worn. So, after taking a bunch of pics, I epoxied it back together - and I'm still using it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 07:10:47 PM »
I have one of the later ones, the kind in the black blow mould case with the hole you can see it through.
It works well but one of the tabs broke off so I've gotta come up with a solution for the 1/4" drive shank to not fall out..
I like it better than the screwball which is just really stiff to turn,. Well at least mine is.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 11:13:27 AM »
I have one of the later ones, the kind in the black blow mould case with the hole you can see it through.
It works well but one of the tabs broke off so I've gotta come up with a solution for the 1/4" drive shank to not fall out..
I like it better than the screwball which is just really stiff to turn,. Well at least mine is.

Yes, that was the big fault with the design. Pratt and Read brought it back around 2005 and the shaft had a detent ball on it where it slid into the square hole. Much better holding, no plastic tab to break.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 12:40:01 PM »

Yes, that was the big fault with the design. Pratt and Read brought it back around 2005 and the shaft had a detent ball on it where it slid into the square hole. Much better holding, no plastic tab to break.
Definitely sounds like a better design.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 06:12:31 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 08:49:49 PM »
I could have bought a set for $5 the other day....

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 09:16:41 PM »

If it came in the clear plastic tube with attachments and bits that'd be a steal!

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 08:08:00 PM »

If it came in the clear plastic tube with attachments and bits that'd be a steal!

It did......  ???

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 05:36:40 PM »
OK, I was in the shop earlier and noticed a one pound coffee can full of ratcheting ball drivers. Knowing I had more than that  I dug around and got all of them together for a family pic.

Yikes! I'm done I tell you, done. No more ratcheting ball drivers!  :ecomcity:

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 06:48:35 PM »
<snip snip snip>

Yikes! I'm done I tell you, done. No more ratcheting ball drivers!  :ecomcity:

I believe you and sure you really are done. No more for you.

Until you find the next one.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline john k

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 10:22:58 PM »
Since retiring from the garage, have had reason to use my yellow Screwball diver.  Had it a long time,just never fit in my routine til now.  Kind of  nice in the hand.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 12:27:44 AM »
So how are you liking the little Pratt Reed examples ?
I know with the oil hole mod and oiling I gave mine it's buttery smooth and extremely fine.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 11:48:33 AM »
So how are you liking the little Pratt Reed examples ?
I know with the oil hole mod and oiling I gave mine it's buttery smooth and extremely fine.

I've not used them yet, as I've had few opportunities to use the small balls, and the several EASYDRIVER mini's are within easy reach. I'm sure they'll be great when I pull them out though.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 01:36:30 AM »
I picked up the larger Easydriver with the original cardboard packaging partially intact. I think it was supposed to come with more bits, but they're gone. You can see it in this pic, sorry I didn't grab a close up. It's real dirty.

Hickory n steel was kind enough to send me one of the minis. I also have 2 of the Screw Ball ratchet screwdrivers, one is NOS in the original box. I have posted pics of those here b4.