Author Topic: Wall heater converted to shop heater  (Read 5817 times)

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
Wall heater converted to shop heater
« on: August 16, 2018, 09:48:28 AM »
A co-worker gave me this natural gas wall heater. I'm thinking of converting it over to propane (LP) mounting it on a stand to use in my shop. Anyone here done this before? Pros, cons? If I do how long would a 20lb propane bottle last (say on medium setting)?
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline Heiny57

Re: Wall heater converted to shop heater
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 10:45:33 AM »
Do you know how many BTU it is?
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »
No, I don't. Would it be on the unit?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »
Well, the orifice for the burner will be alot smaller for LP gas than natural. The BTU content of LP (2500 BTU per cf) is more than twice that of the typically natural gas (1035 BTH per cf). Twenty pounds of LP should last awhile unless you run the thing 24/7.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 11:46:34 AM »
I was given a similar heater last winter. Looked into converting it and it would've required re-jetting and a new regulator to do it right so I didn't bother. I might still redneck it at some point to use as a portable heater but doing it properly would've been more money and hassle than the heater is worth.

Runtime probably a couple days on a grill tank. Can't really be more specific than that without knowing the heaters BTU rating.

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 11:55:35 AM »
I was given a similar heater last winter. Looked into converting it and it would've required re-jetting and a new regulator to do it right so I didn't bother. I might still redneck it at some point to use as a portable heater but doing it properly would've been more money and hassle than the heater is worth.

Runtime probably a couple days on a grill tank. Can't really be more specific than that without knowing the heaters BTU rating.

Do you have any links to conversion kits for these type heaters?

Would this work?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cal-Flame-Natural-Gas-Conversion-Kit-BBQ07101045/204201514
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:57:17 AM by Rewind »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 02:01:09 PM »
It looks like that kit converts a grill from propane to NG. Does the manufacturer of the heater offer a kit?

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 02:42:49 PM »
Do you have any links to conversion kits for these type heaters?

Manufacturer didn't offer a kit for mine so I would've had to engineer and piece together conversion parts myself. Googling the heater part # might turn something up.

And deadnutz is right about that kit you linked. It's for converting a LP grill to NG.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 03:26:17 PM »
If the heater has typical brass orifce(s). they are easy to convert. if you can't find the bran specific kit, they make a conversion kit for burner orifices. Basically its a bag of brass plugs, and the tap one into the hole you have in the orifice. then you drill a hole in the center of that plug to the required orifice size.

Here's an example of an adaptor kit:
http://andersonforrester.com/product/master-adapter-kit/

Here's a chart I found that lists orifice sizes and BTU output for LP and natural.
http://web.go-spi.com/sinclairdev-new/wp-content/themes/sinclair-supply/pdf/Gas-Orifice-Capacity-Chart.pdf

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 10:29:42 PM »
There should be a orifice that can be changed out. I run a 36K BTU unit in my shop and can get @10-12 hours out of a small BBQ tank.

Offline walrus

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 07:21:40 AM »
There should be a orifice that can be changed out. I run a 36K BTU unit in my shop and can get @10-12 hours out of a small BBQ tank.
Some people live where they actually need heat :)

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 11:26:27 AM »
What?   :o

Pay for heat?

(sent from under the shade of a mesquite bush, in 105 degree, 7am cooling breeze)

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »
Some people live where they actually need heat :)

Tell me about!! 2 winters ago we had a really bad spell. it got down to 40f and stayed there for 3 days. I had to bundle up with 2 layers of clothes just to go outside.