Author Topic: Model Train layout  (Read 18883 times)

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Model Train layout
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 01:11:49 PM »
Kato was like the early Bachmen, but as of 15 years ago the did come of age. And now the with the DCC control. Track voltage is a constant 12vdc, no need for block isolation. Each engine has its own throttle module.

It makes running 2 locomotives in tandem extremely easy. They have ip addresses as access, sync the speeds.

Down side of a coffee table layouts, if like me the shin or toe finds the leg or table edge........ derailments are common ,  :c002: kind of like that jeep thing...

pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 02:16:43 PM »
I was never a wood worker, nor do i have any skills in that craft, but one of my lifelong dreams was to make an N scale coffee table layout with a glass top and two line operation. I saw such a layout at a train show in Germany once and fell in love with the idea. When we get resettled into a new home i will try my hand at it. I already have two N scale train packs in storage. I bought two complete KATO trains sets many years ago for for $10ea when KB Toys went out of business.

So the dream of that coffee table has been a long time coming. The train sets are in their original shrink wrapped packages, but are decades old.
How about an N scale in a bar.....

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 03:02:04 PM »
I like that a lot -- great imagination at work with that design.

Offline muddy

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2020, 09:19:08 PM »
I like that a lot -- great imagination at work with that design.
My dream is to one day have a basement bar....it will include one of these....if it ever happens.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 10:13:11 PM »
My oldest daughter recently moved out of the basement. Once we get the mess down there cleaned up I have hopes of setting up a fairly large Lionel O gauge and American Flyer S gauge layouts. I have been laying back a bunch of Lionel, Marx, Plastiville, and American Flyer accessories. Of course, many of those accessories are not to scale, nor as lifelike as what real good modelers would use, plus the three rail issue of O gauge,  but they will please me just fine. I have no illusions of trying to make a layout as cool as real dedicated model railroaders like pep would do.

I just like the old Lionel, Marx and American Flyer stuff that I had as a kid and want to put something fun together I can leave on a dedicated layout. 
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline muddy

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 10:23:34 PM »
I decided I'm going to go with DCC instead DC. The big difference between the two is how the power gets to the track/locomotive.

With DC your transformer controls the power going to the track and adjusts it via a variable switch you control witch the motor inside the loco responds to according speeding up or slowing down.

DCC is a little more complicated. With a DCC system. The track stays at one voltage and the loco is controlled by a "throttle" and adjusts the voltage going to the loco with onboard computer chips.

DCC also allows your loco to have sounds! Gotta have the bell and whistle or horn right?!

There's also more to it, and it can get confusing. I'm not sure I really understand it yet. But here is a helpful article if your interested...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/modelrailwayengineer.com/model-railway-analog-or-digital-dc-or-dcc/amp/

Anyway I bought a starter set by one of the biggest names in DCC and this set has tons of positive reviews and super easy to wire up so it should be good for a beginner like me.

Offline muddy

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 10:32:53 PM »
Well I'm trying my hand at painting this water tower. I mixed blue and orange to get "brown".

However I think I'm going to have to go to the store and get the real brown that i want as this is more olive drab :))

Bob Ross I am not!!!!

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 10:36:14 PM »
Smart move, Tim

Money well spent, no need for block control, also can adjust or sync the speed of locos, to run double headers.

:PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Now you're talking,

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline muddy

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 09:22:05 PM »
Laid track today. The two team tracks inside the circle are still up for debate and may change.

Since the Rona virus has my hobby shop closed, got to wait for roadbed and glue.

I'll work on some buildings while I wait.

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 11:35:41 PM »
Don’t be running any Crude Oil trains. Mud slide got us just outside of Elkhorn City, KY a couple months back. I can’t image this going down in your basement  :)

Wasn’t me, but was on my territory.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:40:24 PM by Conductor562 »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 09:18:53 AM »
Try a small air brush to paint with much better results on the little detail stuff

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »
Try a small air brush to paint with much better results on the little detail stuff

That will work well, and it's fairly cheap these days. That said, back in the day my dad used to use dry colored chalk dust on a brush to weather cars and buildings, and then "fix" the dust with flat clear paint. He did some amazing work with that method.

He made the chalk dust by rubbing chalk over 220 grit sandpaper --

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2020, 05:17:10 AM »
How many people were hurt in that wreck Travis? That looks bad.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2020, 12:16:16 PM »

Believe it or not, the Engineer walked away without a scratch and the Conductor was banged up a little, but nothing serious.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2020, 12:20:41 PM »

Believe it or not, the Engineer walked away without a scratch and the Conductor was banged up a little, but nothing serious.

Quite extraordinary - considering the carnage shown in the picture.