Author Topic: Some sanity for the current situation  (Read 12504 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: Some sanity for the current situation
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 10:00:52 AM »
Be glad they cancelled it. This isn't the flu, but more like SARS. People my age (over 60) are especially vulnerable and can be hit devastatingly hard. Higher fevers than regular flu, more congestion and lung constriction, greater aches and pain, and a much longer recovery period. Plus, the damn virus remains active in recovered patients. Meaning they can be fully recovered and feel absolutely great, while in reality they are still very highly infectious.

It truly is a zombie-like infection -- perfectly healthy looking people without any symptoms can be the carriers and infect everyone around them.

Yeah, from all the available reports it sure sounds like this virus is a real doozy.

And there are people out there who want to infect Trump supporters, and just read where young people are calling the virus the "boomer remover" as it affects mainly older folks. It's really getting bad with all this rhetoric, hating people just because they vote a certain way or are a certain age so they need to die off. Disgusting.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 10:26:44 AM »
Yep, 2 great swap meets are canceled for today  :03: :c002: :38: :a102:

Yeah that stinks, but I've been re-evaluating my tool hunts considering what's going on. Prudent not paranoid.

My daughter went to breakfast this morning with a friend of hers. The place is one of the most popular breakfast restaurants in the area and is always jam-packed with customers and waiting lines of at least 30-40 minutes on average. This morning she walked right in and they were immediately served. She said the place was as dead as a mortuary.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »
How long before these idiots make a run on the banks?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 12:24:21 PM »
Are the numbers wrong? Just read the latest death toll of 5000 world wide. I don’t want to make light of that but the swine flu killed  500,000. Tom hanks seems fine and I’m seeing more and more of people above 60s who went through the sickness and 14 day quarantine and said it wasn’t anything. I’m not sure what to believe, but I know without question, that if we keep drastically changing our normal lives and purchasing habits, our economy will tank worse than the 30s depression and will not recover for many many years. To be honest, I would rather be dead than broke. I am not changing my habits except for using some hand sanitizer when I remember to. I am not trying to get sick, but I’m not going to fear it. If the Lord calls me up , so be it.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
The numbers of deaths are somewhat known.  The Fatality rate is an estimate.   What is also known is that no one has any immunity to this.  That means that unless drastic measures are taken to stop it, EVERYONE will get it.  Think about that.  Is a fatality rate of 1% of the entire worlds population OK with you?  Maybe it will only be 1/2 of one percent.  That OK?

It is more contagious than FLU.
It has a higher fatality rate than Flu.
No one has any immunity to it.

This is a math problem.  It will grow and spread until EVERYONE gets sick.  Most will recover and then have immunity.  Some of the recovered will have long term lung damage.  Millions will DIE.

Don't believe me?  Look up the history of Native Americans and Smallpox.  This is worse.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 01:18:15 PM »
It is also now thought that warm weather will not stop the spread like the Flu.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 02:05:13 PM by RustFarmer »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 04:05:15 PM »
How long before these idiots make a run on the banks?

That's why I like tangible assets. Like the old saying, "Beans, bacon, and bullets". Or something like that.

And a good buddy "network" is important. I wish mine were bigger, but you work with what you've got.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 04:07:26 PM by bonneyman »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 04:58:04 PM »
We've had the TP and water mad house at the stores. Everyone is gearing up for a years worth of crapping anyways.  Today went to town and noticed that all of the restraunts were full and Homey depot was packed. even harbor freight was crowded. Guess all them folks forgot about the plague headed their way.  :lol_hitting:

I did buy a Bauer porta band from harbor freight, $89. Out of respect to the plague I did let the case air out before I unwrapped the tool.  :lol_hitting:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 06:52:31 PM »
Harbor Freight should be safe. Even the coronovirus doesn't like that smell!  :))

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 07:06:06 PM »
We've had the TP and water mad house at the stores. Everyone is gearing up for a years worth of crapping anyways.  Today went to town and noticed that all of the restraunts were full and Homey depot was packed. even harbor freight was crowded. Guess all them folks forgot about the plague headed their way.  :lol_hitting:

I did buy a Bauer porta band from harbor freight, $89. Out of respect to the plague I did let the case air out before I unwrapped the tool.  :lol_hitting:

Let us know how you like that saw, from what I have seen people like them.
MAGA

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2020, 08:38:28 PM »
Now all the ski resorts around Lake Tahoe in the Sierras have suspended operations for at least 8 days. That is sure to upset people as there is supposed to be about 4' of new snow over the next 4-5 days. The madness continues......

Offline muddy

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 08:21:17 AM »

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2020, 08:37:21 AM »
MAGA

Offline walrus

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2020, 08:37:41 AM »
Now all the ski resorts around Lake Tahoe in the Sierras have suspended operations for at least 8 days. That is sure to upset people as there is supposed to be about 4' of new snow over the next 4-5 days. The madness continues......
Same in New Hampshire and Vermont. Not in Maine yet.

Offline walrus

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »