Author Topic: Puma Compressor  (Read 14426 times)

Offline highland512

Puma Compressor
« on: August 21, 2018, 12:57:57 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with Puma air compressors? I have an opportunity to possibly purchase a floor model of a Puma PK-6560V. It is a 5hp 230 v 60 gal compressor 15.5cfm @ 90psi . 3 cylinder oil splash compressor with a weg motor. I dont think it is on the same level as the Quincy I would like to have but I think the price will be right for a good quality compressor. I like the Baldor motors on the Quincy but Weg at least puts their name on the motor on this one. Are these 3 cylinder compressors reliable?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Puma Compressor
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 01:09:10 PM »
i don't have one but the pumas i have seen appear to be good quality. if the specs are accurate it should be a decent unit.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:14:10 PM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 01:12:41 PM »
I have a 6hp 60 gallon Puma. I do not have many run hours on mine, but I am totally pleased with mine. Goodfellow has the same unit I have I think and he has used his for a number of years and always had nothing but good to say about his. They are a lower end compressor, but I know both of us has not regretted purchasing the ones we have.

I don't know about Goodfellow, but mine is a V type pump, not 3

I might be a bit critical, but my biggest complaint would be that it seems to take forever filling when going from zero PSI. Aside from that, zero complaints.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:24:15 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline highland512

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 01:23:56 PM »
Is the actual compressor foreign made? I know the Weg motor is from Brazil.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »
Is the actual compressor foreign made? I know the Weg motor is from Brazil.

I don't recall. I will look tonight and report back. Mine was made around 1998 though so who knows if what they did then still applies now.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »
Buck and I both have the PUMA PK6060V -- V-Twin Pump unit

Back in the day when I bought mine, the pump was made in Taiwan, while the motor and tank were made in the USA. PUMA assembled the units in the US and sold them through official PUMA distributors and also as rebadged units for a large number of private label brands ranging from Big Box stores, wholesalers, and equipment specialty stores.

I've used the heck out of mine and it has held up to a lot of heavy duty wear. It produces 12.6 CFM @ 40 PSI & 11.3 CFM @ 90 PSI, but it won't keep up with continuous use of high speed grinders, pressure tank blasters, and blasting cabinets. These are my heavy air hogs and I usually have to work for 20 minutes and then wait 5-10 minutes for the tank to refill.

In the case of the three cylinder model that produces 15.5 CFM @ 90PSI, I suspect that you will have a much easier time with "air hog" tools and blasters, but just like the V-twin model, you will most likely not be able to run them continuously.

Overall I'm glad I bought that unit and the quality certainly has been better than the average Chinese HF or Campbell Hausfeld tandem pump units we see at Big Box stores.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:45:16 PM by goodfellow »

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 02:25:33 PM »
Ya that is a twin to mine, right down to the flag sticker on the tank! Excellent assessment of the compressor too! I still see mine as a huge step up from the old roll around one I used to have.

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 02:40:36 PM »
I have a 20 gal oil less craftsman now, aka the noise monster.

It will not run anything larger that a 3/8 impact, which is a pain when it comes time to rotate tires or trying to knock a bolt loose. Its just time to update and move the roller into the house garage to air up bike tires, balls, and maybe a nail gun if the wife talks me into making changes to the house. 

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »
I like the Baldor motors on the Quincy but Weg at least puts their name on the motor on this one.

On 3 phase industrial stuff WEG seems to hold up as well as Baldor IME.

Offline highland512

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »
Thats been our experience as well. In fact ever since the ABB bought baldor I would say the customer service has fallen.

Offline highland512

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 03:56:06 PM »
Well I went and looked at it today at lunch, its not a floor model. It looks to me like it was damaged in shipping, its still bolted to the pallet and has Estes shipping labels on it.

pieces that need replaced:
pressure switch
tank ball valve
power cable from pressure switch to motor (at the motor) has the jacket and insulation rubbed/cut off down to the wire
one of the jug head castings is busted at the 90* fitting
all 3ea of the air filter and housing are missing

I emailed puma to get a quote to replace the parts to see if its even worth my time. What do you guys think? Would you even mess with it? Once it leaves the warehouse it non returnable or refundable. At what price point is it worth gambling with this $1200 compressor?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 04:49:29 PM »
I wouldn't trust it -- that kind of damage could have messed up a lot if things besides the obvious external damage.

Shop around -- a badged PUMA like Buck and I have, or a rebadged PUMA from a Big Box store are often on sale around Labor Day for around $550 -- and you get a warranty.

Don't forget re-manufactured units are also often on sale at Tractor Supply and Northern Tool

If you really want the one that fell off the truck, make him a low-ball offer because you're taking all the risk.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:52:38 PM by goodfellow »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 05:37:02 PM »
I think GFs advise is very wise and well put.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 07:29:25 PM »
Leave that one alone. I think that is around a $600 compressor new and undamaged. Ya, just leave that one alone. Well, unless they will sell it for like $100 or something like that. But I would not even give $200 for it myself.

Offline highland512

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 08:21:37 AM »
Cheapest I have been able to find this model, $975

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Puma-PK6560V-Air-Compressor/p592.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtvnbBRA5EiwAcRvnpmrQOZhlSwkhxkaZCaD0nLuSM4t4OzXRAvZgCesNkj3TnvOMzx4QMxoCAYMQAvD_BwE

Just offered $100 well see what happens. He was pissy about the offer but I think its more than fair considering.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:27:48 AM by highland512 »