Author Topic: Anyone know if Remington is making ammunition?  (Read 5424 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Anyone know if Remington is making ammunition?
« on: August 06, 2020, 09:16:16 AM »
Just saw this question being asked on another site. Given Remington's financial woes and the COVID shutdown, it may be the case that their ammo production lines are also down. If that is the case, then that explains a lot with regard to the current ammunition supply shortage. Remington is a major link in the ammo supply chain, and if they're not producing and shipping, then the ammunition shortage is at more than critical levels.

Remington has a lot of production capacity in both center- and rimfire manufacturing. If they are off-line due to COVID or financial reasons, then that will make this ammo panic a lot worse. More-so than at any time in our recent history. 

Offline Matt_T

Re: Anyone know if Remington is making ammunition?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 10:13:12 AM »
Quick news search showed plenty of hits for their Ilion arms plant but nothing for the ammo plants. I really doubt they'd shut down ammo production. Though I'm sure the bankruptcy, and Ilion lay-offs, will start rumors flying. And that will be enough to make the panic worse...

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »
Quick news search showed plenty of hits for their Ilion arms plant but nothing for the ammo plants. I really doubt they'd shut down ammo production. Though I'm sure the bankruptcy, and Ilion lay-offs, will start rumors flying. And that will be enough to make the panic worse...

Hope you're right Matt. If they are producing, that is a good thing. I've searched many of the prime ammo search engines, and there isn't a lot of common caliber Remington ammo listed. I think they produce most of their ammo in their Arkansas plant. Plenty of traditional hunting rounds available, but that may be just old manufactured stock still on the shelves from years ago. On the other hand, there is very little 22LR, 380 and 45 ACP, 9mm, 223, or 300BO showing up within the Remington line on any of the search sites; while their competition (Federal/CCI, Winchester, Aguila, Lake City, S&B, etc.) are widely represented.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:51:10 AM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 10:49:33 AM »
This is their 2nd bankruptcy in a relatively short time. I guess the last reorganization didn't accomplish what they wanted so they are doing it again. I don't see them going Chapter 7 and even then someone would probably buy the assets and keep things in production but that could cause a disruption in supply. If they are not making any or enough money in these times the management and structure of the company is badly screwed up and needs fixing.

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 09:58:39 PM »
I'm not sure if they are down or not.

However if the last box of thunderbolts I was shooting is any inclination then I can see why. I must have had at least 10 no fires in 100 rounds I shot.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 01:15:21 PM »
Sounds like the box of Winchester super x i bought during the Obama years fire click click click fire  :violent-smiley-007:
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Elroy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 04:31:05 PM »
This is their 2nd bankruptcy in a relatively short time. I guess the last reorganization didn't accomplish what they wanted so they are doing it again. I don't see them going Chapter 7 and even then someone would probably buy the assets and keep things in production but that could cause a disruption in supply. If they are not making any or enough money in these times the management and structure of the company is badly screwed up and needs fixing.

Here it is a year later and it appears Federal/ CCI / SPEER purchased the ammunition assets of Remington and are poised to restart production

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 05:28:12 PM »
Just saw a post on a pistol forum that reported new boxes of Thunderbolt 22LR ammo are starting to show up at Walmart. The loss of Remington was a huge contributor to this crisis; let's hope they can feed the pipeline quickly with popular centerfire cartridges and primers.

Offline highland512

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
MY local gun shop had new green boxes of buckshot on the shelves Wednesday.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 08:28:22 AM »
MY local gun shop had new green boxes of buckshot on the shelves Wednesday.

That's a good sign. Let's hope they can keep acquiring enough raw materials to keep the lines running 24/7. At one time Remington had one of the largest (if not the largest) commercial shotgun shell manufacturing production lines in the country. They excelled at rifle and shotgun ammo production.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 04:16:52 PM »
I hope they are back up and running, I down to my last 1000 SPP. The kid who reloads for me keeps hitting me up for them. He knows I'm a hoarder. :lol_hitting:

I've been seeing 9mm selling for $0.75/round :-\  Crazy what people will pay.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 10:46:14 PM »
Saw a YouTube video the other day,  Remington was purchased and production has started up again.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 08:48:46 AM »
I hope they are back up and running, I down to my last 1000 SPP. The kid who reloads for me keeps hitting me up for them. He knows I'm a hoarder. :lol_hitting:

I've been seeing 9mm selling for $0.75/round :-\  Crazy what people will pay.

I saw match grade .233 for $2.21/per round over the week wend   :lol_hitting: as long as people keep paying those prices it will continue to rise.