Author Topic: Vintage body shop tool -- Morgan Trimeezer  (Read 9398 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Vintage body shop tool -- Morgan Trimeezer
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:40:51 PM »
These things were standard issue in most body shops of the day. It was a disk trimmer that was used to trim the clogged or worn edges of a resin bonded disk, and or make custom edged disks for specialty applications such as star disks for flexing into deep crown panels.

The Trimeezer is still used in my shop for making custom disks -- back in the day before the abrasive suppliers marketed a wide variety of specialty disks, the Trimeezer was THE way to get custom pattern and profile.

Positioning the cutting wheel at different angles was the way to get a different profile --

Offline Cruiser808

Re: Vintage body shop tool -- Morgan Trimeezer
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »
 8)    That's a really neat tool, GF. Do you remember when cars and trucks had those rain gutter lips round the rooftops? Would this tool be used to make them or am I thinking of another tool for that purpose?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 11:38:09 AM »
-- That's a really neat tool, GF. Do you remember when cars and trucks had those rain gutter lips round the rooftops? Would this tool be used to make them or am I thinking of another tool for that purpose?

The tool could be used to cut a custom grinding or sanding disk into a star configuration (or other shapes) so that the disc ends (the star shape) could flex enough to reach far down into grooves and channels -- just like the rain gutter channels. But the tool itself didn't make the clip -- only the custom cutting discs that were flexible enough to fit into the void and spread far enough out to do the sanding.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 12:00:59 PM »
How many disks have I thrown away in my lifetime that would of lasted longer by trimming the edge to a good surface?