Author Topic: Building a pipe-rail trolley  (Read 2793 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Building a pipe-rail trolley
« on: November 05, 2020, 08:39:54 AM »
NOTE -- This is one of the projects I did a decade ago and which was lost due to the old GG website crash. I managed to restore the thread from old backup text files and insert the pics as necessary.

NOTE -- To see how the trolley wheels were machined, go to this thread

http://garagegazette.com/index.php?topic=3063.0

Over the last few days I've spent some good shop time designing and buidling this pipe trolley for my hoist. I've overbuilt it intentionally because eventually I plan to use it on much heavier pipe.

This is what I started out with -- my turned trolley wheels that I made a few days ago, 3/8" aluminum plate scrap, and a 2"x2-1/2" square tube from the scap pile.

The design is based on using 5/8" threaded rod as the base for this framework. Here is the basic frame --

Frame is now partially milled and cut

I cut the square tube in half and welded the two peices together for extra strength (Very solid base). This is what the hoist will hang on.

Final "Mockup" before finish grinding and painting --

Here are all the pieces I fabricated and ready for final painting and fitting

The finished product.

The red shoe on the front is spring loaded and provides two functions. One as a brake, the other as the puller for positioning the trolley. Pull down on the rope to release the brake and pull the trolley into position. Let go of the rope and the brake is set.

All in all -- a great project --

To provide friction material for the brake/puller assembly, I cut an old flip/flop sole into strips and glued the strips into the "V". Spring pressure on the assembly friction material makes this hoist very stable and steady as a rock. It will not move once the brake is applied.

Next week I'll tackle the accordion power lines that will need to move along with the trolley.

Time for an adult beverage --  :beerdude:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 10:04:50 AM by goodfellow »