Author Topic: Vintage Skil --  (Read 8525 times)

Offline bonneyman

Vintage Skil --
« on: August 26, 2018, 08:58:57 AM »
I always called a 7 1/4" circular saw a "Skil Saw". Sort of like refrigerant was always "Freon" and reciprocating saws were all "Sawzalls". But Skil versions of circular saws for DIYer's were seemingly rare to me.
Until I got this one from an in-laws estate. Took it apart, replaced all of the bronze bushings, and have worked the heck out of it. I'd say it's a late 60's early 70's (just a SWAG), so, technically it's probably not vintage. Still have it

Offline bonneyman

Re: Vintage Skil --
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 08:59:55 AM »
Also have an older Skil drill. Nice tough unit.
Got it at the local Habitiat store when it first opened. I wanna say cost me $15. Gray polycarbonate body, with the grip sticker claiming "No time limit lifetime warranty". Can't find the original pics of that label (so it must be prior to 2006) - I'll see if the camera can get that image
Pics to follow.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:03:43 AM by bonneyman »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 09:11:05 AM »
Not just a name, but actually built in Illinois -- a true Skil power tool. That's pretty cool.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 11:39:07 AM »
Here's my 3/8" Skil drill, with warranty sticker still readable. "No Time Limit" life time guarantee, with barely legible "Unbreakable  polycarbonate" case. Probably 1970's.

Paid $15 for it at a Habitat store, than had a new trigger and 12 foot power cord installed. This was to be my work drill, and the longer cord allows me to plug it into an A/C unit disconnect and walk all around the unit.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:46:44 AM by bonneyman »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 11:43:36 AM »
Nice Skil drill, but I think the chuck has been replaced at some point. The drill housing looks vintage 70's though. I think that those cheap plastic import keyless chucks weren't around until the 90's.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »
Nice Skil drill, but I think the chuck has been replaced at some point. The drill housing looks vintage 70's though. I think that those cheap plastic import keyless chucks weren't around until the 90's.

Yeah, 10-4, I installed that keyless chuck after years of refusing. Just got tried of jerking around with the chuck keys all the time.