Author Topic: Tools for Christmas.  (Read 4424 times)

Offline muddy

Tools for Christmas.
« on: December 25, 2020, 04:59:17 PM »
Post up the tools you got for Christmas this year (weather you bought them for yourself or Santa for them for you.)

Mandy put mine in the van already so I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline muddy

Re: Tools for Christmas.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 11:47:16 PM »
From the in laws I got a punch and chisel set, an impact socket set and 1/4" cordless ratchet. I have heard the heads don't hold up in the non fuel version. However I think it's the 3/8" versions I think the 1/4" should be fine.

I also went to Lowes and picked up this saw/miter box set.

image hosting site

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 05:46:14 AM »
I used a coupon last week to get myself these.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:49:47 AM by Heiny57 »
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline walrus

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 07:15:05 AM »
I have a fuel 1/4 milwaukee ratchet and a non fuel 3/8. The fuel has more torque for sure. Both work well. My buddy has a long version in 3/8, that sucker is really nice..My guess is in your line of work tools die :) from hard work,maybe a small amount of abuse ;)  I think you will like it. I think they have a long warranty, 5 years???

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 08:52:57 AM »
Ok, I got screwed by the dreaded hang tag.   :)) :character0029: :lol_hitting:
MAGA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 09:12:53 AM »
Of course I have most of my tools packed for the move, so I have to dig through boxes to find vice and drill bits. :91:
MAGA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 09:29:13 AM »
Of course I have most of my tools packed for the move, so I have to dig through boxes to find vice and drill bits. :91:

LOL -- damn Bob, that's just about the best example of "Murphy's Law" that I've seen in a good while. Hope you got it fished out of there  O:-)

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 09:55:51 AM »
I have a fuel 1/4 milwaukee ratchet and a non fuel 3/8. The fuel has more torque for sure. Both work well. My buddy has a long version in 3/8, that sucker is really nice..My guess is in your line of work tools die :) from hard work,maybe a small amount of abuse ;)  I think you will like it. I think they have a long warranty, 5 years???

I have the long reach 3/8 also, that thing is sweet. Only thing I could complain about is it's a tad bulky. But would it be as stout if the thinned it down? Snap-On has a very nice long reach 3/8 that has a slimmer head. But i already had an M12 drill so I jump in the Milwaukee band wagon and got the ratchet an the new stubby 3/8 impact which I love as well!

I plan on using the 1/4" for small fasteners like M6 (10mm socket) and front covers an such.

Offline walrus

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 10:31:17 AM »

I have the long reach 3/8 also, that thing is sweet. Only thing I could complain about is it's a tad bulky. But would it be as stout if the thinned it down? Snap-On has a very nice long reach 3/8 that has a slimmer head. But i already had an M12 drill so I jump in the Milwaukee band wagon and got the ratchet an the new stubby 3/8 impact which I love as well!

I plan on using the 1/4" for small fasteners like M6 (10mm socket) and front covers an such.

Once you get into a battery platform you might as well stay with tool brand. I think warranty on Milwaukee is better than Snap On but of course the the Milwaukee truck  doesn't come every week. Also Milwaukee makes other tools besides stuff you would use at work.
I just got the stubby 3/8 impact also, haven't used it much yet but it seems to have some berries.  My truck is full of Milwaukee stuff, enough so that most would call me a fan boy  :93:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 11:22:28 AM »

Once you get into a battery platform you might as well stay with tool brand. I think warranty on Milwaukee is better than Snap On but of course the the Milwaukee truck  doesn't come every week. Also Milwaukee makes other tools besides stuff you would use at work.
I just got the stubby 3/8 impact also, haven't used it much yet but it seems to have some berries.  My truck is full of Milwaukee stuff, enough so that most would call me a fan boy  :93:

Yup, you don't want to get tied to multiple battery systems and brands; it's a gigantic pain. Milwaukee is popular and will be around in 10 years and you won't have to worry about battery compatibility or service.

Back in the early 2000's I hitched my wagon to Skil, but then the Chinese company that owns it cheapened the brand and started changing battery systems - These days, the brand is only a shadow of its former self, and support is non-existent.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 05:02:03 PM »
That miter box looks a bit sturdier than the $10 yellow Buck bro's / Hyper tough version I have a couple of. ( not sure if BB makes it or if Great Neck makes it as I suspect).
How much was this Crafsman back saw / miter box set ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 08:30:08 PM »
That miter box looks a bit sturdier than the $10 yellow Buck bro's / Hyper tough version I have a couple of. ( not sure if BB makes it or if Great Neck makes it as I suspect).
How much was this Crafsman back saw / miter box set ?
Lowe's had the blue hawk or great source miter box set right next to it. That was $10 and some change. The craftsman was $14 and some change.

Both were "made in USA with global components". What sold me on the craftsman is it has a spot to be clamped to a work table. That was worth the extra $4 to me

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 11:11:44 PM »
I didn't get any tools or tool related stuff for Christmas, but I did snag this off Next Door for free today.  Brand new, so it feels like a gift.   ;)
boop/bop/beep

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
No lift, so all my under car work is on my back with tools scattered just out of reach - most times.

So, what better gift from my son than a Under Vehicle Creeper Tool Tray!  :great:
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2020, 12:35:53 PM »
That looks pretty nice. Sure beats dragging your tools around in a shallow cardboard tray. :great:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2020, 01:24:19 PM »
Great idea TM -- how many times had I wished for one of those.

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2020, 06:05:30 PM »
I like that! I can't count how many ti.es the tool I needed was out if reach or underneath my creeper

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2020, 07:43:15 PM »
Thanks guys.  One thing, the casters don't lock. So, I have to replace one or 2, or remove a couple -- to keep it from rolling down the inclined driveway. LOL
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher