Author Topic: matco bfr128lf  (Read 3661 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
matco bfr128lf
« on: April 04, 2021, 04:34:10 PM »
picked this up via classified at the journal last week. as you may know, i am a fan of the single pawl. apex/danaher ratchets with a particular affinity for the 60 and 88 click models i have an armstrong locking flex but they are 60 clicks so when this popped up i was tempted.  i tried to resist but when it didn't sell for a few days i made an offer at 80 shipped. if it was used, it wasn't much. i think it will fit in the stable just fine.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

Re: matco bfr128lf
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 08:10:14 PM »
Great buy harlan, I like the matco ratchets as well

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 09:06:19 PM »
That looks like a good user with good leverage. :great:

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 09:07:08 PM »
here is a little family pick. the afr58 1/4 drive in front. the bfr58 compact 3/8  behind  it and the 3/8 bfr88t  in front of the locking flex.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 09:56:52 PM by skfarmer »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 09:49:51 PM »
I'm not a big fan of flex ratchets but if I bought one it would be a lockable style like that one. Nice family pic!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 08:24:47 AM »
put the ratchet to work yesterday.  the old 3020 loader tractor needed a a waterpump. not a huge project but some of the bolts are a reach as i didn't want to remove the radiator or shroud. i purposely used my matco ratchets and while i really like the armstrong locking flex  ratchets the 88 clicks in the matco is nice.

is it a huge difference? no, but it is different. i didn't really think i would notice the jump from 60 (armstrong locking flex) to 88 clicks in the matco but i did.

i have made the comment before. i have no issue using ratchets with lower tooth counts and in many cases it doesn't make any difference but the real jump seems to be  around 72 clicks  and going crazy over that doesn't seem to make much difference. in this case 60 clicks on my armstrong is good but the 88 clicks on the matco is better. in other words. i think the jump to that range is worth doing  but  there is little to no effect when going above that .

my seat of the pants opinion is that  this ratchet is one  of those things that make you smile when you use it.  ;)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 08:35:59 AM »
I'm not a big fan of flex ratchets but if I bought one it would be a lockable style like that one. Nice family pic!

i am with you. i have a few flex ratchets in the stable. the regular flex just annoy me and i rarely used them. the ones with a detent ball are better and more useful but just never seemed to detent in the right place. the locking flex like these have  many  more positions that can be "fine tuned" much better to the  position you want but still have a little "give" to wiggle around things if that makes sense. 90+ percent of the time i use them locked to  like standard long ratchet or locked at an angle to reach into or around something. i do use them unlocked but it just isn't that often and actually pretty rare.

Offline draftpick

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 08:24:27 AM »
put the ratchet to work yesterday.  the old 3020 loader tractor needed a a waterpump. not a huge project but some of the bolts are a reach as i didn't want to remove the radiator or shroud. i purposely used my matco ratchets and while i really like the armstrong locking flex  ratchets the 88 clicks in the matco is nice.

is it a huge difference? no, but it is different. i didn't really think i would notice the jump from 60 (armstrong locking flex) to 88 clicks in the matco but i did.

i have made the comment before. i have no issue using ratchets with lower tooth counts and in many cases it doesn't make any difference but the real jump seems to be  around 72 clicks  and going crazy over that doesn't seem to make much difference. in this case 60 clicks on my armstrong is good but the 88 clicks on the matco is better. in other words. i think the jump to that range is worth doing  but  there is little to no effect when going above that .

my seat of the pants opinion is that  this ratchet is one  of those things that make you smile when you use it.  ;)

You can swap the Armstrong maxx ratchet series 60 tooth out with the matco 88’s. I have the 1/2, 3/8,1/4 locking flex and swapped them all out with matco 88 repair kits. I also think people have used gear wrench 84 tooth kits as well saving a few bucks.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 01:04:07 PM »
When you need a flex, you need a flex.

Locking is a benefit, and in my case when replacing and alternator last weekend from underneath the car, having the right tool (locking flex), was the right scratch for the itch with the right leverage.

Done, and done.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 11:18:44 PM »

You can swap the Armstrong maxx ratchet series 60 tooth out with the matco 88’s. I have the 1/2, 3/8,1/4 locking flex and swapped them all out with matco 88 repair kits. I also think people have used gear wrench 84 tooth kits as well saving a few bucks.

I love when this kind of info comes up. Can you post models numbers of the ratchets and rebuild kits to upgrade? I think it would make a good reference.