Author Topic: Long Overdue Stop at fatfillup's  (Read 2698 times)

Offline PowderKeg

Long Overdue Stop at fatfillup's
« on: August 23, 2021, 10:59:41 PM »
Just returned from @ 2700+ mile round trip thru 8 states over the past week & 1/2, and was able to drop in on fatfillup's pressure washer & tool emporium while spending a few days in the old home state of MD (now the PRM - Peoples Republik of Marxland) with family.  Was great catching up with Phil again (who's not fat BTW, for those who haven't met him) and his wife after a long hiatus.   Spent a handful of hours in the afternoon getting a really good tool fix - for those who don't know, Phil has a huge selection organized throughout his establishment in many Vidmars, large roll cabs/boxes, and stacked on shelves.  If you find yourself anywhere within driving distance of the Finksburg MD area you owe yourself a stop at Phil's.

Came away with a big smile  :), a (temporarily) satisfied itch to drool and paw over massed amounts of quality and (mostly) used mechanic's tools  :-[, and a nice box of stuff to add to my tool cab and the ratchet obsess.... er, collection.  Fortunately (for my bank acct) I failed to stop at an ATM beforehand  :41:, so I forced myself to a pretty tight $ limit, but was still a very happy haul for me. 

Been trying to put a mixed set of RP Barcalo-sourced combo wrenches together for years (just luv the shape of the sculped box end) but have had a hard time finding decent condition ones over 11/16" - Phil had a complete Barcalo branded set to 1" that came back to AR.  The little 1 gal fuel/oil can is in excellent shape & just downright cool - will eventually hold fuel for a someday purchase of a yellow dog oilfield lantern (or few).  Also scored a few more ratchets I either didn't have or are in better shape than ones I do, including an apparent prototype Craftsman with an XXXXX pat # (exeptionally cool!).  The "home-crafted" NAPA 1/4" stubby RHFT stirs mixed feelings - a stubby RHFT is a welcome little working addition (that really should've been a standard offering in it's day), but I also don't have that particular NAPA model # unaltered in the "collection" yet, so it's a real bummer seeing one chopped up like that.  :'(

Was a great time seeing Phil (and all the tools) and gotta do it again sometime sooner (and with a fatter wallet).  Thanks Phil! 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 11:02:59 PM by PowderKeg »

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Long Overdue Stop at fatfillup's
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 12:27:34 AM »
Nice finds.  If Phil comes my way sometime I'll have to sell him a taco box...or trade for some good stuff.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 08:41:11 AM »
Phil's place is exceptional in the kind and type of tools that he has in inventory. There's always something that piques my interest every time I visit. Combine that with Phil's knowledge and enthusiasm about good tools, and you have a winning combination. His steady customers appreciate the fact that he knows what he's talking about when it comes to good quality tools.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 11:35:58 AM »
that is a fine pick.

the fatman and the mrs are plain old good people and that store. well........only been there once and hope to get there again.

maybe i will make a special trip if phil ever brings that secret stash of red hard handle mac and proto drive tools from his garage at home.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »
PK, it was good to see you and I too enjoyed the visit.  I will start a box of unusual ratchets for you as I come across them.

And guys, thanks for the kind words.  It is truly my pleasure to satisfy your tool itch :))

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 07:54:31 PM »
Good grabs! The fatman and momma are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. His collection of tools is surpassed by few, and it's always a great time when visiting.

Speaking of... I need a tool trip in the near future...

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 07:47:52 PM by muddy »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 08:32:34 PM »
Yup, Phil and the wife are good folks, I stopped in when I was up that way. had a great visit and came away with a few goodies myself. I cant see anyone walking out empty handed. :lol_hitting:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 06:29:11 PM »
I cant see anyone walking out empty handed. :lol_hitting:

They rarely do ;) :D :97:

Spending limits don't mean much either

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 06:31:24 PM »
 :))

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 09:21:23 PM »
If I were local I'd be in there once a month!

And leave alot poorer! lol

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2021, 08:15:44 PM »
I cant see anyone walking out empty handed. _hitting:

They rarely do ;) :D :97:

Spending limits don't mean much either
And it's extremely hard for those that have difficulty making decisions......

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman