Author Topic: 2 post lift disasters  (Read 4332 times)

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: 2 post lift disasters
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 12:46:14 PM »
I remember a poll that would swing down next to the cylinder.   Had to kick it out of the way to lower the lift.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 05:07:11 PM »
Yup,  worked a Shell station as a pump jockey during HS. We would use wheel weights to jam the lift lever in the down position after we mopped the floors before closing to bring the lift down (they were slow when unloaded). One time I forgot to remove one wheel weight, and when the compressor was fired up in the morning, up went the lift. No one was watching, and a very-very old vintage car went up into the air and bent the roll up door, and broke some windows.

Whooooops. I got a lecture for that fubar and it was painful since it was the owners ride.

Sowwwwy!!!

Offline walrus

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 04:35:15 PM »
Two posts lifts are fine as long as you know the center of gravity.  I've seen many in ground lifts with no safety leg, generally the underground tube where safety leg went when lift went down would fill full of dirt and lift wouldn't go down. Instead of taking a water hose and jamming it down in there and floating the dirt out, they would take safety leg off.