Author Topic: On hoarding, getting old, tools and organization  (Read 3023 times)

Offline ssdave

On hoarding, getting old, tools and organization
« on: January 14, 2022, 11:57:37 PM »
Spent some time tonight doing one of my least favorite things:  Sorting through tools, eliminating duplicates and unneeded.

I'm like most guys my age (I'm past retirement, though I'm still working).  We needed tools to do the things we wanted when we were young.  Always needing something else, and it always seemed to cost more than we could comfortably afford.  We tried cheap tools, and soon found that was a fools errand as they didn't work, wore out quick, or were hard to use. So, we picked up nice tools when we could afford to, and slowly, that became somewhat of an obsession.  I got so I never pass up an estate sale, especially with a nice shop, and nearly every sale yields a handfull of quality tools at an affordable price.  You drift on for 40 years doing that, and all of a sudden you realize you can't work in your shop, because of all the tools, materials, projects and scrap in the way.  The answer is quite clear, and seems so easy it's amazing you didn't think of it before!  Just sort out, throw away or sell or give away the excess, and you'll have enough to last the rest of your life, plus you'll have space to work, plus you'll have some spare cash to buy the things you've always wanted.  You start in, and it is soon apparent that it's painful and difficult to sort, decide, and ultimately dispose of the excess.

I've been at this process for about 5 years.  I've thrown away the trash, used up or disposed of excess materials, sold most all the car parts and machine parts and projects, sold all the Craftsman stuff, trashed or scrap metal'd all the asian junk, got rid of all the excess household stuff stored.  Organized my personal mechanics tools into one complete set, with a road box and workbench tools also, and set the rest aside as surplus to sell.  Slowly going through woodworking, gunsmithing, jewelers, machinists and other specialty tools and sorting them out.  All this has produced a large lot of stuff that needs sold.  Last year was my biggest year on ebay, I sold nearly $100K worth of excess there and with some local sales.  My net worth went down by several TONS of steel.    I used the proceeds to buy a new pickup.  Cash.

Tonight I went through my Kennedy rollaway, that has more than 3 drawers full of files and rasps.  A few hundred.  All types, cuts, shapes, sizes.  My goal is to get down to 3 drawers, laid flat and no stacking, assortment of unique sizes, shapes, cuts all set out and ready to use.  I can't believe how many mill bastard nicholson single cuts I have in excess.  And, how many 4 way universal rasps.  I got the drawers all cleaned out, most of the files sorted and stacked, and 2 drawers out of the 3 nearly laid out.  Got tired of making too many decisions and had to quit. 

I'd like to get my shop all cleaned out, neatly arranged and laid out ready to work effectively before I retire.  Not sure that I'm going to get there. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: On hoarding, getting old, tools and organization
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 07:52:08 AM »
I hear you loud and clear Dave. I'm was in the same situation two years ago. The garage was getting too crowded and often times I couldn't find items that I know I had. I sold off some of my duplicate Sun equipment and spare Sun parts to a local collector, but it only made a slight dent. It was frustrating.

Finally last year we moved and that provided the motivation to cull the herd. I found tools that I had packed up decades ago from previous moves, and in the end I sold off a lot of duplicate tools on ebay, and scrapped literally tons of old parts and metal. It was a tough exercise, but necessary.

Good luck with your efforts.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 07:03:08 PM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 08:06:41 AM »
I don't dare let the wife read this as she will comment about me getting this same scenario done. I'm working on it but slowly at the present time.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 08:13:37 AM »
I keep telling myself I have enough tools and I keep buying. And I still come across jobs where I don't have the right tool. :38:

I think I'm a late bloomer! :))

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 08:36:58 AM »
Been trying to pare down the last few years.  Recently completed a move of less than twenty miles, which ultimately ended up taking four years.  I know that sounds crazy, but I was holding onto my old house while I was working on it and also waiting for the value to go up on it, which it did nicely (sold in September).  Anyway, I moved a lot of stuff, sold a lot of stuff, threw away or donated some, and continued to buy as well.  Still looking to sell extra tools/equipment I don't need.  I'm anticipating possibly one more move in about twenty years to a farmhouse on several acres and don't want to have a ton of stuff to move again.
boop/bop/beep

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 09:24:05 AM »
In response to the OP.....

Yep...
Right...
You betcha..
Of course....
Absolutely...
Amen...
Tis true...

Been there, am there, going to be there for a few more "sales"....

;)

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 11:05:44 AM »
I wouldn't know anything about too much stuff :a102:

I have been letting some stuff go to good homes and it is liberating.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline walrus

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 02:29:16 PM »
I've stopped buying tools unless I need/want :) them for work. I just ordered a pair of Knipex wire strippers, will I use them, yes. Did I need them probably not :) I'm close to shutting the business done, I have 2 service trucks with tools plus my shop. Duplicates, yeah but not in the same make or model. I have snap on, proto, craftsman, gearwrench, cornwell, Mac, Armstrong etc wrenches. I could get rid some for sure but probably won't unless I need the money for something :97: What I do  need to do is clear the electrical stuff out of my shop once I retire. That would clear out tons of room for my tools :))

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 06:20:34 PM »
I need to start exchanging some of my treasure for $$ for a land purchase. I guess Ebay is still the best medium to sell small items?
I inherited my buddys tools and I've got 5 gallon buckets of tools I need to go thru and peddle. I think I'm up to 12 wire stretchers :lol_hitting: :lol_hitting:

Offline ssdave

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 11:46:17 PM »
Different people value tools differently.  I put 22 pieces of extra files, mostly Nicholson and Simmonds on Facebook for $30.  All good files.  The guy that came and got them is using them for knife steel, didn't care that they're excellent condition old USA made files.  I could have been saving the worn ones that I throw in the scrap iron for him to use instead!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 06:13:50 AM »
Different people value tools differently.  I put 22 pieces of extra files, mostly Nicholson and Simmonds on Facebook for $30.  All good files.  The guy that came and got them is using them for knife steel, didn't care that they're excellent condition old USA made files.  I could have been saving the worn ones that I throw in the scrap iron for him to use instead!
What a moron.
He's using them for knife steel because he knows the new ones from Mexico suck, but he didn't put two and two together realizing that it also means they aren't very good files.

Let me ruin these perfectly good files to make knives because they're better than the junk available today.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 09:49:43 AM »
To most people tools are a means to an end. That guy needs good steel, not good files. its all a matter of priorities. I've been known to modify a tool as needed to get the job done. kinda how I got into collecting tools. A bit tough taking the grinder/welder/torch to the Snappy you just got off the truck last week. But the job gets done, get paid and move on. BTDT. Not quite so painful to do the same to an estate sale tool so I started my scrounging.... and its gone down hill from there. :021:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 10:39:57 AM »
and its gone down hill from there. :021:

:)) man ain't that the truth

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 06:47:26 PM »
I used to buy neat old oddities I found but it just got to wear they sit, and take up room. Now I buy for what I'll use (or intend to use :)) )

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline eborcim

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 05:48:36 PM »
Last year was my biggest year on ebay, I sold nearly $100K worth of excess there and with some local sales. 

What is your seller name?  Some junkies here might help you out!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2022, 08:32:35 PM »

That's one of the reasons I thought the boys at Epstein's should have snagged those crates of badly rusted files. Perhaps not good as files, but that steel could be used for something - like knives.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 08:54:56 PM »

That's one of the reasons I thought the boys at Epstein's should have snagged those crates of badly rusted files. Perhaps not good as files, but that steel could be used for something - like knives.
I had the thought too, but don't know how many people think knife making material when they think HJE.

I firmly believe theres gotta be a way to keep that stuff out of a scrapyard and that it most certainly is still useful, but people are free to disagree as much as they want.
I don't care if it's a plain forged steel doe, it's still a quality wrench from a once great company that's no longer around anymore and can still turn a bolt.
Maybe theres not a lot of people looking for those wrenches to fix their car, but it's still a good tool you can find a use for if you really want to.
Always lookin' to learn