Author Topic: New garage requires a new project -  (Read 2731 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
New garage requires a new project -
« on: January 24, 2022, 10:26:12 AM »
I'm in the last stages of finishing off the new garage - (pics to follow). The machine tools are installed and in place, and all the many boxes and crates that cluttered the garage have been emptied and disposed of. I still have to plumb in an air line system for the garage, and will most likely use PEX for that system. It's affordable, and a fairly easy material to work with.

That said, I've been itching to start on a new project. It's a bit out of my wheelhouse, but I'm looking forward to it.

1993 Kawasaki ZX-11 -- purchased new in '93 and driven for over a decade by yours truly until it was put in storage to never see the light of day until last year when I moved down here. In its day I used to ride quite a lot, but then life happened and between job commitments, several moves, and family responsibilities it was neglected. To top it off, it was dropped on the left side fairing when it was moved -- totally cracked and broken, and will need a new fairing.

It was originally put away wet and I never intended for it to be in storage very long. Twenty years later this poor bike is in pretty sad shape -- brakes and master cylinder corroded, clutch frozen and master cylinder corroded, paint/plastic in poor shape, and I'm sure the carbs are totally shot.

Other than that she's a cream puff -- LOL  :) :) :)

This will be my next project. To restore this thing back to a nice beautiful bike. It's a classic motorcycle, and at the time it was the king of the high horsepower bikes, with 135HP to the rear wheels from a 1052cc four cylinder engine.

I'm not an experienced motorcycle mechanic, and I'm hoping that when this project starts, some of you more experienced guys can help me along when I get in over my head. -- which I'm certain will be many times.

Anyway, here is what she looks like today -- sad pics, but hopefully she can get a new lease on life.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 10:42:21 AM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

Re: New garage requires a new project -
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 11:16:27 AM »
I'm sure it will come out as nice as your other projects. What are the parts availability like?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 11:48:52 AM »
I'm sure it will come out as nice as your other projects. What are the parts availability like?

Not sure Les. I haven't even looked for anything special yet. I know the fairings are available on both the new and used markets.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:50:56 AM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 06:47:58 PM »
Nice bike. I'm sure you will do it up right.

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 07:47:53 PM »
Goodfellow on a motorcycle?  This I gotta see!   ;)
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 08:12:01 PM »
Nice project bike, can't wait to see the progress.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 08:44:37 PM »
Goodfellow on a motorcycle?  This I gotta see!   ;)
Nice project bike, can't wait to see the progress.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

:)  Wouldn't think an old guy like me could ride that thing, but back in the day I rode a lot. Took part in many "Buttbuster" rallies and drove up/down the east coast and through the midwest for many years. Many of those trips were made on a Honda Nighthawk 750, but when the ZX11 came out I was hooked. At the time it was the most comfortable compromise between a street bike and a conventional design. Very comfortable to ride on long trips, and smooth as silk with no arm numbing vibration on long trips. The power was just the icing on the cake.

My favorite state was WV. i explored that state for three years with that ZX11, and hit every corner. What a great state to ride a bike in.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 08:01:52 AM »
Riding for any length of time, and being the mechanic you are.

You already know the deal with a bike. Is taking enough parts off it to get to what you need to work on...

<smiling>
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 09:19:12 AM »
how many more mysteries are you hiding from your past?

i am not going to doubt your skills. it is just a matter of time before it is purring like a kitten and looking well enough for inspection.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 10:07:16 AM »
how many more mysteries are you hiding from your past?

i am not going to doubt your skills. it is just a matter of time before it is purring like a kitten and looking well enough for inspection.
I have one, maybe two more surprises stashed away - LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2022, 08:45:22 PM »
I'm in the last stages of finishing off the new garage - (pics to follow). The machine tools are installed and in place, and all the many boxes and crates that cluttered the garage have been emptied and disposed of. I still have to plumb in an air line system for the garage, and will most likely use PEX for that system. It's affordable, and a fairly easy material to work with.

So did you use straight pex?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2022, 09:50:08 PM »

Actually no, I went with the Klutch system from Northern Tool (Basically a MaxLine system) because I got a great price on the package. Still have to do some work on it, and I'll post pics when all is done.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2022, 04:05:58 PM »
I like working in my BMW motorcycles because of the availability of parts, albeit frequently expensive, but my '81 Yamaha Seca 650 was fun project.  Next will be the RD125, two-cycle twin.

Not sure about your bike but I had to ensure I had a good set of JIS screwdrivers for that Yamaha.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2022, 06:26:50 PM »
Riding for any length of time, and being the mechanic you are.

You already know the deal with a bike. Is taking enough parts off it to get to what you need to work on...

<smiling>

10-4 Accessibility is the biggest issue on a bike. Then parts availability and cost.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2022, 07:30:15 PM »
Nice bike.
I had one of these back in OZ.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2022, 08:06:44 PM »

Which one?  I am looking at both systems, for two different locations, and trying to figure out diminishing returns.  Friend just says put up my hose reel by the compressor, as it will easily reach everywhere.

Actually no, I went with the Klutch system from Northern Tool (Basically a MaxLine system) because I got a great price on the package. Still have to do some work on it, and I'll post pics when all is done.

Offline nonhog

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 06:19:56 PM »
Looks like a fun bike! Had a few myself. 1980 Honda CX500c (what I learned on), 1986 Yamaha VMax super fun, fast bike but uncomfortable., 2000 Victory Sport Cruiser and a 2004 Victory Kingpin. My riding days are over but I still love motorcycles.
Hope to see a thread as you get it back on the road!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2022, 07:50:22 AM »
I have a 2004 King Pin.  10,500 miles on it.  Don't ride much :))

Had it out the other day and man does it run good and sound sweet.  I have done nothing to the engine and it always fires right up.  I wish it was lighter.  Lot of bike to handle at slow speed.