Author Topic: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass  (Read 14555 times)

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Oldsmobile 442ish Cutlass
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2022, 06:54:43 PM »
Be careful with Mondello , a friend of mine had a bad experience with them.

There are two Mondellos - Mondello Performance in Paso Robles and Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises in Corona.  Mondello Performance is the one your friend would have had a bad experience with.  Although that company was founded by the legendary Joe Mondello, it was purchased by Lynn Welfringer when Joe retired.  I've seen copious amounts of bad experiences posted dealing with them about quality, customer service and more.

Bernard Mondello is Joe's son and has a solid reputation for high quality parts and service.  He learned head work and machining from Joe growing up and working with his dad through the years...and this is who I'm buying the parts from.

So definitely an excellent warning...I wouldn't buy a used nail from Lynn!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2022, 06:55:49 PM »
Cool pics -- thanks for the update Clay.

More to come, thanks for looking!!!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2022, 10:52:40 PM »
Yep your right it was lynn.
I did meet Joe one day was a terrific bloke.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2022, 07:07:29 PM »
Fenders, bumper and core support removed.  This will make access for cleaning and painting the firewall and frame a lot easier.  While it's apart, I'll be installing the hydraulic clutch and new engine bay wiring.  Core support and inside of fenders will also be cleaned and painted.  So much for a quick engine swap  :))

I'll probably switch to the interior before doing much else here, as it's coming out for a complete swap/refresh as well.  The blue parts car has the black bucket seats and console that will be installed here.  Part of the conversion is changing out the speedometer to one without the automatic gear selector indicator (although I'll probably be replacing all gauges with Speedhut ones anyhow) and the steering column.  I'd like to move the blue car on to it's next owner, but not before I use it for a template to position the console mounting brackets and bucket seat mount locations.  And guess where that steering column is coming from as well.

Offline 39Tudor

• Addicted to Anything That Takes Quarters!
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2022, 08:06:34 PM »
Clay, thanks for the update.  Looks like you are making progress.  I am enjoying following along with your journey!
Jerry

Offline Chuck Farley

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2022, 01:26:35 AM »
Once upon a time, my father had a '70 Cutlass.  His was the Supreme (the sorta "notchback" model) in 2 dr Ht.
350 Rocket, auto trans.  Gold color car with white buckets and console shift.   Wish I had bought it off him when he traded it
Nicest car he ever owned

At the same time, my brother had a 69 Cutlass S, which underwent a few changes from the 2 bbl 350 it came with and was FAST!

I envy you for this project

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2022, 01:08:55 AM »
Clay, thanks for the update.  Looks like you are making progress.  I am enjoying following along with your journey!

Glad you're enjoying it!  Things have been stalled for the last month as my full time and attention were being given to organizing a car show and a few other events (I'm president of the show which translates to "who's dumb enough to do most of the work").  The show (and rod run) were held last weekend and were a great success...so now I have more time to turn back to the Cutlass.

Once upon a time, my father had a '70 Cutlass.  His was the Supreme (the sorta "notchback" model) in 2 dr Ht.
350 Rocket, auto trans.  Gold color car with white buckets and console shift.   Wish I had bought it off him when he traded it
Nicest car he ever owned

At the same time, my brother had a 69 Cutlass S, which underwent a few changes from the 2 bbl 350 it came with and was FAST!

I envy you for this project

Both cars sound great, Chuck!  I'm more partial to the fastback body style but the Supremes are beautiful too.  All the parts from the back of the door forward are the same between the two models.

I've been searching for someone to assemble my rear end...it's beyond my skill set and I want to know it's done right.  I have a couple of leads so hoping they'll pan out!  Haven't heard from my engine parts source lately but I know the heads are in at any rate.  Some of the other parts are made to order which of course results in a bit of a wait.  The initial timeline suggested I should see them all in early September (maybe).  Then who knows how long for assembly!

The biggest task in the next couple of weeks will be ordering parts.  Lots of parts.  Interior, suspension, miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2022, 09:15:45 PM »
This thread has brought back a lot of memories for a few people.
My first car, a 1968 Cutlass, that was totaled by a city snow plow/dump truck vehicle, in the middle of summer (crested the hill and rear ended me, picked up the back end 6') and now the person that I dealt with, is our mayor.  (it was interesting for both of us, because some restriction required them to pay for a rental car, and who is going to rent a car to a 17 year old)
At least once a year, I have a dream where I pull it out of the garage and drive it for a week, and at the end of the week, I have enjoyed it and am bitching about the cost of gas to drive it.

Then I had a discussion with some friends, and we got on the subject of swivel seats.  His first car, he bought new when he went pro, was a 75, 442, with t tops and swivel seats.  His poor buddy, went to live on a farm while doing his stuff and was given an old beat to hell, 50's chevy farm pickup with no seats, which he drove with 5 gallon bucket, "swivel seats".

Offline 39Tudor

• Addicted to Anything That Takes Quarters!
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2022, 09:39:22 PM »
Friend of mine had a Monte Carlo with swivel buckets.
I don’t ever remember him swiveling them to get out of his car.
Probably not one of GMs brighter ideas but it was a unique idea!
Jerry

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2022, 01:57:44 AM »
Progressing slowly.  Took the rear end housing to a friend for sandblasting and paint, now it looks nice and shiny.  The housing and all the new parts are now with the fellow I found to assemble it all so it won't be much longer before I'll be working to get it under the car.

I've been pulling the interior out and everything is looking solid and reasonably clean so far.  Some areas with surface rust that I'll clean up and hit with POR15 or something before applying the sound proofing.  Haven't figured out what all I need to replace as far as interior pieces go, and I hear Legendary has up to a 9 month wait period from order to delivery.  I should be able to use most of the other car's black interior at least in the interim.  Still plenty to be done before the interior goes back in, though.  Swap steering columns, position console mounting brackets, cut hole for stick shift, position bucket seat mounting points, install hydraulic clutch and wire up the new stereo.

My engine parts (except the heads) are on the way and should be in my hands in a week or so. Reviews of the new Edelbrock heads were a bit disappointing so I decided to wait about 6 months for them in order to have Bernard Mondello blueprint them.  Not cheap, but well worth it.  Once I finish drooling over all the nice (and damned expensive) hardware, I'll drop it off with my engine builder so he can have everything ready before the heads arrive.

There's still a long laundry list of other systems to order - fuel system (tank, pickup, fuel lines), new gauge packages, under hood wiring to name a few) and still on the fence whether to use the current Oldsmobile SS2 rims or splurge for something aftermarket.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2022, 07:03:53 AM »
He did a great job on that rear axle Clay. It's a shame that all that good work won't be very visible once everything is installed.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2022, 12:27:29 PM »
I said the same thing to him, Ray! 

I'll be replacing the cover with a repro aluminum W-27 one so everyone eating my dust will have some bling to look at  :))

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2022, 02:54:10 PM »
No time to work on the car this past month, but spent my time volunteering for a local Haunted House which raised over $67,000 for local charities.  Time well spent, IMO!

But, the clock is ticking on this project.  I still want to be driving this beast during the 2023 car season (the more of it, the better).  Most of my engine parts arrived last week so they'll be dropped off at the engine builder in the next few days. The heads won't be here for a few months yet but he can get going on the bottom end in the meantime.

- CP/Bullet pistons, .030 over
- Scat H-Beam rods
- BMRE (Bernard Mondello Racing Enterprises) roller cam (from Howard's Cams) and lifters with 4/7 swap
- BJH Billet harmonic balancer
- Cloyes for BMRE billet true roller timing chain set
- Harland Sharp 1.6 ratio roller rockers
- ARP cylinder head bolts, main studs, upgraded 7/16 rocker studs
- BMRE 7 quart high volume oiling system (pan, blueprinted pump, pickup, oil pump drive and mounting studs)
- Full length windage tray with adjustable stand off studs
- BMRE/Cometic head gaskets
- BMRE complete gasket set
- Complete MSD Ignition System (distributor, coil pack,  plug wires)
- Quick Fuel SS850 carb (mechanical secondaries, electric choke)
...and a couple other odds and ends.

I also bought a set of GM Performance Products cast tall valve covers.  I have a NOS pair of stock dimension aluminum Holley covers but unsure whether they'll fit over the valve train.  I like the looks of these GMPP covers a lot better.  Just need to decide how I want to finish them up instead of the current raw cast appearance.

I need to clean and paint the assorted brackets, get new engine mounts, new waterpump, alternator and steering fluid reservoir (who wants grimy old parts on this engine???) and sort out my cooling options.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2022, 02:56:07 PM »
Yep, kind of like an early Christmas at Der Oldsmeister's place!  Here are a couple more photos.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2022, 07:22:55 PM »
Exciting times eh!!
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?