Author Topic: Pawnie finds: 5-19-22  (Read 1079 times)

Offline bonneyman

Pawnie finds: 5-19-22
« on: May 19, 2022, 06:47:17 PM »
Found this little lot including the pliers for 75 cents. The brass fittings alone are worth more than that in todays repair world!
But the plier has me wondering. Could barely make out Channel Lock in the store, and the tip profile is new to me. I'm sure an Evaporust soak and fine polish will bring it back to glory.

Looks like a #548. Anybody know the specialty purpose?

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Pawnie finds: 5-19-22
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 07:03:48 PM »
You should be saving your penies up for your new ratchet parts cleaner? :021:
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 07:23:06 PM »
You got me!  :))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 09:07:12 PM »
Channellock no longer seems to make this pattern unless they just forgot about them when they updated their site,  but it must have been recent if they were discontinued because you can still find both sizes in stock a number of places.

They're being listed as heavy duty slipjoints,  heavy duty combination slipjoints, or heavy duty shear cutting slipjoints, but not being on their site anymore I don't know what Channellock officially called them.

I'll bet those things are great, I will probably snatch myself up a new pair while I can but I don't imagine them being as nice to use.
All the current slipjoints in my arsenal have narrower handles than the older properly marked examples I've got or have handled.
 They knew better with just about all their other pliers aside from the slipjoints so I know they haven't completely lost their minds.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 09:13:30 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 09:55:05 PM »
i have a pair. i bet an evaporust soak and some love will bring them around.  a good pair of pliers, just a slightly different profile. the side cutting part will cut wire but sadly not as good as one would think because of not being a solid joint. imop, the grip is not as strong as a normal pliers as the jaw end of the jaw is farther from the pivot.

i would love to see a new improved plier from Channellock that incorporated  the new xlt design. it seems many of the needlenose, endcutting, sidecutting and linesmans pliers have received it. sadly the common slip joint never gets much love.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 11:03:59 PM »
i have a pair. i bet an evaporust soak and some love will bring them around.  a good pair of pliers, just a slightly different profile. the side cutting part will cut wire but sadly not as good as one would think because of not being a solid joint. imop, the grip is not as strong as a normal pliers as the jaw end of the jaw is farther from the pivot.

i would love to see a new improved plier from Channellock that incorporated  the new xlt design. it seems many of the needlenose, endcutting, sidecutting and linesmans pliers have received it. sadly the common slip joint never gets much love.
I would like to see some kind of XLT slipjoints as well.

Based on those extremely ugly things they made to compete with Knipex, I'm worried that they might be done doing anything new that would interest me.
Always lookin' to learn