Author Topic: I'm thinking about some new tool storage.  (Read 2983 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I'm thinking about some new tool storage.
« on: May 20, 2022, 11:22:44 PM »
Out in my garage/ shop all I've really got is a pegboard and my old Dayton/ Waterloo 6 drawer top box that belonged to my grandfather.
I'm not looking to replace the box but it's showing it's age and the drawers are small / shallow , so I'm looking to get a 2nd box.

I love American made most of all, but the affordable domestic stuff all seems flimsy and around me 2nd hand is gonna be worn out or overpriced so that's not really gonna work here I don't think.

I'm thinking of going the US general route, they're affordable enough and the 5 drawer cart I put together for my dad seemed pretty well made.

I am trying to decide between 2 different 30" carts from HF, the 4 drawer and the 5 drawer.

The 4 drawer cart seems like a good option, especially with the large top space these cars have which could easily take care of all the storage concerns I currently have, it would probably be awhile before I have even that filled up in addition to my top box.

The 5 drawer box isn't that much more expensive, and I kind of like the idea of that top right drawer they have. I don't know what I'd really use that particular drawer for but might eventually wish I had it.

Which box would you choose ?

I feel like the 4 drawer could be enough till it eventually isn't somewhere down the line but if I can outgrow it I could probably outgrow the 5 drawer too.
I've already got the tool bug bad, and I'm not sure it's a good idea to buy excessive storage that I'm compelled to fill up  :)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 11:27:22 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: I'm thinking about some new tool storage.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 06:57:51 AM »
When assembling use red locktite, or at the very minimum blue.

Higher dollar box you're buying better slides, and casters just FYI

Only you know what is the best fit stick with it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 07:00:32 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 04:40:20 PM »
I haven't been in HF in a while but from what I recall the carts had most of thier storage under the lid on the top. A bit different animal than a roll cabinet. Back when I was looking for more storage I opted for the 52in? Roll cabs instead of a cart because I wanted to put a top box on it.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 08:16:42 PM »
I haven't been in HF in a while but from what I recall the carts had most of thier storage under the lid on the top. A bit different animal than a roll cabinet. Back when I was looking for more storage I opted for the 52in? Roll cabs instead of a cart because I wanted to put a top box on it.
Yes a lot of the storage is under the lid.
I'm fine with that because I don't need much more additional storage than what these offer anyways and I like the top area they've got.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 08:30:17 PM »
Personally I'd go with the 5 drawer. To me that extra drawer is worth the $50 difference. Also more storage is always a welcome thing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 09:26:27 PM »
Personally I'd go with the 5 drawer. To me that extra drawer is worth the $50 difference. Also more storage is always a welcome thing.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
That's what I'm thinking,  and that particular drawer it adds appeals to me for some reason.
Maybe I can fit my 3 chargers and my tool batteries in there.

Their bottom box is tempting also, but I like the idea of the deep top, and those holes on either side in the top for my handle pry bars maybe, or screwdrivers.

Another thing I liked about the cart is that my pancake compressor might be able to fit in the bottom.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 08:28:44 AM »
I don't have such a cart/box in my shop. I never had a use for one, but they do seem very efficient for a shop where you must be very mobile in your work assignments. With that in mind, I'd take the advice of guys like Tim that are working professionally in such shop environments. They really understand what works and what doesn't, and what's cost effective vs. what's not.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 10:24:23 AM »
I don't have such a cart/box in my shop. I never had a use for one, but they do seem very efficient for a shop where you must be very mobile in your work assignments. With that in mind, I'd take the advice of guys like Tim that are working professionally in such shop environments. They really understand what works and what doesn't, and what's cost effective vs. what's not.
I wish I could say I was doing things that specifically warrant the cart and it's mobility,  but for me these HF carts just seem like an efficient box for their size.
My uncle has one and bought one for his youngest son who both use them as regular tool boxes.
I think my uncle has a couple and a typical stack too, but I don't believe they're necessarily using them as mobile carts.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 07:56:58 PM »
I wasn't sure when I was going to buy this cart, but they're about to be on sale for $219 June 4th-6t so hopefully I have time to go and pick one up while they're on sale.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:00:18 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 04:21:17 PM »
Has anybody tried the matching surge protector/ power strip they offer for the HF boxes ?

I'm mostly curious about the magnet strip and whether it stays in place well or not.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 07:43:23 PM »
I have one. Don't use it much but it sticks plenty  strong enough from my experience.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 11:18:27 PM »
I have one. Don't use it much but it sticks plenty  strong enough from my experience.
That's good to know,  I plan on grabbing one when I purchase the box on Friday as long as they have the match to whatever color I end up buying.
I plan on going orange,  but since they're doing the parking lot sale next weekend I will be limited to whatever colors they have in stock by the time I get there after work.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline nelstomlinson

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2022, 12:46:54 AM »
On sale is my favorite color.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022, 04:03:57 AM »
My favorite color is free, but that color must be too expensive to produce or something because they still refuse to offer it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2022, 02:25:43 PM »
They weren't on the floor but I asked, and I lucked out.
They had the box, power strip, and magnetic can and driver holder all in orange.
I'm not sure I really need that last one but they asked if there were any other accessories I wanted them to check for so I went ahead and had them grab me one.
Always lookin' to learn