Author Topic: I'm thinking about some new tool storage.  (Read 3106 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: I'm thinking about some new tool storage.
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2022, 06:05:45 PM »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2022, 06:46:58 AM »
Nice cart -- congrats on the new purchase.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2022, 08:03:09 AM »
Nice cart -- congrats on the new purchase.
Thanks,  I'm happy so far but I still have to nail down how I'm gonna set it up and probably get some decals to put on it because that's something I like to do.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2022, 03:44:26 PM »
The aluminum pull that comes with the box just didn't suit me so I had to make something better out of a well worn old DOE wrench I had laying around.

I have it flipped around because I want to see if anybody can guess the make of this old wrench.

Hint : It was made in the Northeast.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2022, 07:02:44 PM »
great color!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2022, 10:22:18 AM »
great color!
Certainly better than the white one.

I can't imagine anybody wanting a white toolbox unless they were going to airbrush or pinstripe it or something.

I think it would be cool if they offered orange with green drawers, grey with red drawers like the 50's Craftsman boxes, or orange with yellow drawers and black trim so I could put a big Garfield sticker on top.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2022, 09:23:53 PM »
 I decided the bottom will be for my cordless power tools, batteries, and chargers.
That is at least until I get tired of having them so close to the ground ( I'm still young enough that it's not an Issue for my back yet ).

I took the power strip I use for my chargers and glued a couple of neodymium magnets to it that I had laying around  so I could stick it inside the back right leg of the cart, a little electrical tape to prevent scratching and it's good to go.

It plugs into the power strip on the side where I've got my 2 lights and fan plugged in, so that's basically my light switch right as I walk out into the garage.

I also decided to move the tray and handle both up so I could put the magnetic accessory tray on the left side in the spot I liked best for it, I also just kind of wanted to move the large side tray up.

The handle sticks up above the level of the top which means I couldn't use it as a work surface,  but with that and many common use tools being in the top I'll be much less inclined to set things on top of it.
The lid doesn't exactly close 100% on that side now, but it can still lock, and I don't see a problem with this otherwise. There seems to be enough play in the system that this shouldn't be putting any kind of unnecessary stress on anything.

Yes I'm a bit limited in what I can put in the side tray now, but I never wanted to load it up with spray cans anyways.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 09:37:15 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2022, 10:30:33 PM »
Looking good!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2022, 10:31:42 AM »
Looking good!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
It's getting there.

I still need to order some Ernst wrench racks, a couple of their drawer organizer trays, and maybe a couple of thier pliers racks.

I'm not so sure on the pliers racks now.
For now I've decided to put the pliers In the top right drawer, and if they won't fit I can't trim it down like I did the HF wire frame pliers rack.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2022, 10:11:53 PM »

Lemme guess, somebody was just about to say Barcalo weren't they   :P
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2022, 07:57:53 PM »
I decided I wanted a little more tool holding capability on the left side, so I took a couple of those cheap HF magnet bars that I had and I bolted them together back to back.

I mostly just wanted this for my WILDE handle pry bars and an random screwdriver or two, so I don't mind having it in a position where I can't utilize the entire thing.
It wouldn't hold a lot of weight anyways, and in fact I had the 36" WILDE bar on there and that end started to slip a little.

It's good for exactly what I wanted it to do and nothing more,  I'm perfectly fine with that.
Always lookin' to learn