Author Topic: Log Splitter Tires  (Read 42 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Log Splitter Tires
« on: April 14, 2024, 02:59:28 PM »
So as some of you have seen, I had a rather large haul of good white oak to split for firewood.  Finished it up a week or so ago and have been changing oil and going through the log splitter for my friend, the owner.  The tires were original and held air for a while but really needed to be replaced.  Because these are highway tires (I always transport it on my trailer because I cannot see it if towed) they are not of the wheelbarrow type.  My local searches always had the tire sold with a wheel rather than just the tire itself so I ordered the tires. 

What you see is how they arrived, flat as a pancake.   :a102:
I knew this would be some work mounting and seating.  First I used my wife's heated couch throw to warm them up with little or no change in their pliability.  Fortunately I have a motorcycle tire changer (No-Mar brand) that I could use to dismount the old and mount the new with the added use of MC tire levers.  The real fun was getting them to seat.  Without multiple straps and a good shop compressor it would have been impossible.  Much cursing and restrapping was required but he now has good tires and repacked bearings.

Soooo  if you have thought about doing this make sure you have the necessary tools.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline oldnslo

Re: Log Splitter Tires
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 04:08:47 PM »
If they dont use tubes, which could obviously be used for inflating off the rim, I have used wooden blocks to expand the tires to the right width to get them to set (with the use of some heat). Its time intensive, but works.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2024, 08:52:55 PM »
starting fluid will pop it right up on the rim.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 05:20:32 AM »
starting fluid will pop it right up on the rim.

I've seen it done with success and videos of it gone wrong.  :-\

We would use a Cheetah bead seating tool at the shop for those tough ones.
Nick
Yorktown, VA