Author Topic: Everything 1/4dr  (Read 16197 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Everything 1/4dr
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2023, 09:57:23 PM »
The Armstrong looks great!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2023, 09:46:04 AM »
The Armstrong looks great!
I like the much older 10-901 that I have more, but this is definitely a nice ratchet.
I'm not happy about the price I had to pay, but it wasn't exactly crazy and I'm glad to have it in my collection.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2024, 11:52:22 PM »
I picked up an industrial quick release PROTO 4749XL today ( along with the 3/8 5249XL ) and I really like it more than the chrome non QR 4749XL because the knurling is so much better.

They're not the best looking and it's kind of weird how the handle is ground a bit offset to the back, but otherwise I really like the XL series.
The grips feel great, the heads are fairly small, tooth count is only 45 but the teeth are fine and backdrag is fairly low.
They're also sealed too, with a gasket attached to the plate, an oring on the front of the gear, and these have an oring on the back around the QR button.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 11:58:58 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2024, 07:00:58 PM »
This is most of what I currently have for 1/4dr ratchets,not counting bit ratchets.
There's 3 or 4 I believe not pictured that are in various tool kits.

I'm sure I probably even forgot about a ratchet or two.
The WRIGHTS still remain my most used , but in addition to the 2426 and 2495 flex head I also added one of the 2400's to my 1/4dr kit.
I find myself using a number of different sockets at a given time and prefer to be swapping sockets as little as possible.

I keep a full range of 1/4dr sockets and basic set of drive tools in the top of my box with the 3/8 stuff for quick use when I didn't expect to be needing 1/4dr, and so I put the new PROTO 1/4 there along with the matching 3/8 I bought Friday.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2024, 09:26:08 PM »
Nice collection!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2024, 12:56:12 PM »
Nice collection!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Thanks,  there's a few here that don't pop up too often which I'm glad to have.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2024, 11:46:27 PM »
I still have yet to ever see a Blackhawk 24991 ratchet on Ebay or really anywhere online since I became an admitted active 1/4 ratchet collector/ accumulator, let alone a 19nd nuggies set or any piece of a set.

My ultimate goal is to be able to replicate the 19nd nuggies set because of how unlikely it'll be to actually get one, plus I really wanted to prove that the set wasn't actually that special.
As it turns out they really were that special, other companies had a very small 1/4 ratchet and other companies made small wrenches but nobody else ( maybe Snapon has, but that'll be too pricey) but Blackhawk made both let alone sufficient options for the other tools in the 19nd set.

I'm half tempted to go Taiwanese because the Titan micro roto head is the perfect ratchet candidate and I'm sure there's some affordable Taiwanese stubby wrenches out there.

To be clear I have no realistic hope of ever owning the 19nd set,  but I do expect a 24991 ratchet to pop up eventually at a reasonable enough price.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 11:52:13 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2024, 05:57:05 PM »
I just got this Litton industries pocket socket in the mail.

Yes it's a gimmick novelty tool, but the quality is not junk and it actually makes a pretty nice lithium wheel ratchet.

I scored it for really cheap because one of the original sockets was supposedly missing and replaced with a random 6mm, but all of the original sockets are actually there and in unused condition.
I don't know if they had more than one to sell or just found the missing socket or what but I'm glad they were all there.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2024, 07:09:31 PM »
Me likey!   :great:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2024, 09:13:54 PM »
Me likey!   :great:
It even uses the Kilness patent New Britain mechanism too, and for a gimmick tool like this they did not have to do that.
A typical cheap S•K or WRIGHT type design could have sufficed, but I guess it makes sense since they had the NB tooling.
Always lookin' to learn